User Tag List

123 Last

Default Discuss this analogy of Fi and Se in isfp

I'm interested in thoughts on this. It makes sense to me, so... in this analogy Fi is the sea house and Se is the sea, in other words reality. That is how I take it.

There is an interesting part in this book Personality Types.

Such types can end up feeling like Kevin McCarthy in Invasion of the Body Snatchers, faced with two bad choices: they can go to sleep, let the pods take over, and wake up happy to be programmed, or they can fight to stay awake and spend the rest of their lives resisting cooptation.
    When isfp develop extraverted sensation it takes them out of this either or dilemma. They begin to see that their potential dictates outward responsibilities. An image given to me addresses this situation.
    If you live in close contact with your inner world, it's a lot like living by the sea. You can get flooded unless you can build a structure to meet your needs. Your first instinct, however, is to build the kind of house townspeople live in, because that's the kind of shelter others will help you construct. This is precisely the kind of house that will be ruined when the tide rises. For a while you think, "I should have built a better townhouse" but gradually you reject others advice and you live without structure,
    Why not build the kind of house that will serve your actual needs? Build the kind of house that fishermen build, one the water can go through without knocking it down...
    Well developed isfp live, as it were, between the sea and the town, doing what they need to do. In consequence, their creations, their choices, their way of being...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That certainly is an interesting analogy of Se and Fi in combination. So it seems as though, in terms of an ISFP, that they sorta develop their Fi by means of experince from the outer world (Se): the asses the immediate outer context of the world and thus construct Fi as sort of a barrier in a way, but the key to growth is to unite the two, to be inbetween the sea and the house is to simultaneously use Fi ans Se in unison.

So where did you find this analogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    So where did you find this analogy?
    It's in Lenore Thompson's book Personality Types.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Wolfy
    It's in Lenore Thompson's book Personality Types.
    I imagine that the other functions are listed in such metoaphorical ways as well, I should definitely go give the book a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I imagine that the other functions are listed in such metoaphorical ways as well, I should definitely go give the book a read.
    A lot of pop culture analogies, metaphors too.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    A lot of pop culture analogies, metaphors too.
    I appreciate how the chapters are organized too. By dominant function (EFJ, ETJ, IFP, ESP, etc..). As Jung/Myers would do it. Her focus on dominant/auxiliary is to the point, doesn't get too bogged down in the other details.. yet isn't overly simplistic (although I think she also follows Beebe's ideas.. so can discuss things on that level too. Just not in the book).

your resident asshole

Maybe I'm just bad with analogies, but it doesn't really sound ISFP-specific to me. It sounds more an introverted struggle with independence and doing what you want, for your own personal needs. Wait... I guess that's Fi... but where does Se come in? The rest seems very nonspecific.

I dunno... it just sounds like any healthy introvert would be this way.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Maybe I'm just bad with analogies, but it doesn't really sound ISFP-specific to me. It sounds more an introverted struggle with independence and doing what you want, for your own personal needs. Wait... I guess that's Fi... but where does Se come in? The rest seems very nonspecific.

I dunno... it just sounds like any healthy introvert would be this way.
    Analogies are a bit like that.

Se is the impact of the sea on the house.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Analogies are a bit like that.

Se is the impact of the sea on the house.
    How clever.

It's interesting because it is saying to build flex in your concepts. Something I noticed I needed to do before getting into mbti.