• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ps, how do you plan your day?

N

NPcomplete

Some years ago, I tried to be a planner and I found it caused me stress that was really unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. So I stopped planning. Now, I have a mental priority list (that's always changing hahah) and I cross off things from it. I usually try to keep a balance between tediousness and fun with a very obvious preference towards the fun (aka I procrastinate).
Example of a conversation I had yesterday:
J-friend: There are only 2 days left. Stop browsing all over the place and start the paper. Now. *breathes slowly to not scream at me but is still obviously stressed on my behalf*
Me: What do you mean "only"? I have 48 h! Do you know what I can do in all that time? *grin*

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I plan i'm like 6 am waking up getting coffee doing homework go to class

what actually happens turn alarm off at 6 go back to sleep til 8 do home work at 10 go to class at noon.

Chloe

i'm a big planner...tomorrow i'm going to do this and that and this and that and this week i'll start doing this on these days and then by this day that will be done and by this summer i will have done this and that and i really need to start doing this and on and on...i have insomnia.. :/

i am completely like this too.

so many plans, most of them i miss. but i keep planning and planning

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Only thing that works for me if i have a general idea what i need to do that day/week(usually it works in weeks) and then i dont schedule when will i do it, just that i will...
If i plan "school.studying.cleaning.exercise" in that order it will NOT happen, if i go "well i need to do some cleaning and studying, perhaps some exercise today" it is likely to happen. It is very inportant to me to pick on spot what will i do next...

I do the same thing. I figure out what all I need to do for a week or so at a time, but I don't plan what will be done when. Just that I intend to do it. If I have to, I decide what to do on a daily basis. I don't make strict schedules.

I have problems finishing things that don't have to get done. Technically nothing has to, I guess, but you know what I mean. I also think of all the things I'm going to do years from now and what not but I don't make specific plans for those, they are more general.

G

garbage

My Google Calendar is a Godsend. It has my mandatory appointments in it, and I also keep my "to-do" list in there, with items resting on the days when I want to tackle them. The calendar stares me in the face at almost all times, so that I don't forget what I need to do.

Other than that, my day isn't planned at all. For a given day, I know what I have to do, and I work within the constraints that I have. I can't force myself to keep a consistent work/sleep schedule.. but, then, I haven't really had to have that consistency to be productive.

For me to "procrastinate" on a certain to-do item, I have to click it and move it to another day. Sometimes, you're just too busy to do everything that you've planned to do, or other things take priority :shrug:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
thanks to hassles like having to work and such my weekdays end up pretty planned (following the same boring routine day in and day out... it makes me want to claw my eyes out! :thelook:)... my weekends don't really involve planning because I consider those my times in which to do as little as possible :heart:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFKLVlkGXI4"]What happens when I try to follow a plan[/YOUTUBE]

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
Plan? Isn't this the weird stuff IJs do all day long?

I usually simply decide what I want to do in the moment, sometimes think about what I need/want to do in the next few days(without setting a clear date) and forget about everything that's more than a week in the future.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have ideas and they may be delayed or forgotten. Unless they're imperative they probably won't get done they day I think about doing them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Plan? Isn't this the weird stuff IJs do all day long?

^^ yea, I just looked the word up in a dictionary and it said some people even plan such a thing like their life. :huh: *crazy stuff* !

wonderboys31.jpg

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I usually list couple of things that I absolutely have to do, or promise myself to do that day. Then I do them, try to tackle some other important things, and then just float around doing something fun or interesting the rest of the day.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I just see each day as one big block of time and I know that I've got x, y, and z to do in that time. So, I know I've got to be at work at a certain time, I've got a meeting at 10:30am, I've got to have something submitted by 2:30pm, and I've got to pay my car payment. Those 4 things, I know that I absolutely MUST do. All the other time in between, I like to be free and open so that I can improvise and let it play out how I want it to play out. Like I know that I've got a long mental list of things I need to do (but that are not time sensitive), so I'll just pick some of those things and work on them throughout the day, but the important part is that I get to pick which ones I work on and when I work on them. I might have like 25 "projects" going on at work and if I find myself with free time, I'll impulsively say, "I think I'll work on #13 right now. Yeah, that sounds good." There has to be freedom of choice. If my schedule is full of this:

9:30 do this
10:00 do that
10:45 do the other thing
11:30 finish this
1:00 finish that
2:30 continue with x
3:15 meeting
3:45 conference call
4:30 finish z
5:00 call John Doe to discuss z.

That junk drives me up a wall. It's so confining and allows for almost no creativity or improvisation. After 1 day of that, I feel like a drone. I'll get off work and do something really impulsive to feel like I'm breaking out of the mold. I cannot stay on that type of a day-in, day-out, everything is listed precisely in a schedule, routine for very long. It makes me feel like I'm not even living. I can "hack" the 9-to-5 thing, so long as there is some room to roam within that 9-to-5 block. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but about 75% of "meetings" in the world are complete nonsense and full of nose-picking. Can I get a show of hands? Anyone?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Yeah, I have to make sure that I want to do something before it ever becomes a plan. I guess my thinking is that if I don't want to do it, I'll be wasting my time and why would I want to do that. I do the mental check list too. Absolutely necessary and fun are my categories, things shift in and out of one category, while the other stays rather constant.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I have to make sure that I want to do something before it ever becomes a plan. I guess my thinking is that if I don't want to do it, I'll be wasting my time and why would I want to do that. I do the mental check list too. Absolutely necessary and fun are my categories, things shift in and out of one category, while the other stays rather constant.

Good way of putting it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why plan, just do... or not.

I don't plan my day. I just let it happen to me.

Why, yes. This IS a recipe for success.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" - Bertrand Russell (or attributed to him at least)

I have to agree with the posts on having big picture milestones and just winging it when it comes to details. Works most of the time and I tend to do extremely well under the pressure of a fast approaching deadline.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't. I don't even know what route I'm going to take from my house to my job until after I've taken it.

I went through a spell where I tried to keep a task list. After about 6 months I went back and looked at the list and all the stuff I put on it that first week was either done or unnecessary and I hadn't looked at the list since. I've done that a couple of times actually.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
i'm a big planner...tomorrow i'm going to do this and that and this and that and this week i'll start doing this on these days and then by this day that will be done and by this summer i will have done this and that and i really need to start doing this and on and on...i have insomnia.. :/
Do you actually follow the plan or just kind of make it in your head?