• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type is the "chameleon" type?

Which type is the ultimate "chameleon"?

• Total voters

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I hear the word "chameleon" used to describe various types in various situations and I wondered, which type is the ultimate "chameleon".

chameleon.JPG

Which type do you think blends into it's environment best?
Which type is best at acting like other types?
Which type is the most adaptable/changeable?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm

chameleon blends in, and changes based with its environment
makes me think of Fe, no ?

would have to grasp a situations implications readily,
and without being privy
that sounds like intuition to me
or its cousin Fi

perhaps i'm being biased
but xNFx

however,
i voted ENFP simply because society is 75%E
and an Introvert would either stand out horribly,
or merely get ignored

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Unconscious social chameleons -> EXFJ
Deliberate "change" / misrepresentation of self for a purpose -> ENTP, ENTJ, ESTJ

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP or ENFJ, but I voted for ENFP. However, an Fe and Ni combination makes for great chameleon abilities. And also, the tendency for Fe to be dependent on relationships and Ni to lack practical skills can cause ENFJs to probably be the most needy of the types.

Or, for Kiddo's actual questions, which I did not notice before:

Most likely to blend into environment: ENFJ
Best at acting or con artistry: ENTP
Most adaptable/changeable: ENFP

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think any type in particular is good at "acting like other types".. but as for blending into social surroundings.. I do not do this unless I want to, and when I am inclined, I do it well.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
cha·me·le·on /kəˈmiliən, -ˈmilyən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-mee-lee-uhn, -meel-yuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
3. a changeable, fickle, or inconstant person.
Since Jung and Myers say that Ne type behavior likes chage for it's own sake, then it would be most likely anyone using that function on a normal basis. Se types do not like change for it's own sake and can be confused as adaptibility equating to change.

I did not vote since the choices are limited to one and becaue all NP types can be considered chamelons. In fact Paul James describes INTPs as:
....disliking making the first move and tend to mirror the emotional content of the other person. A jolly person will quickly bring the INTP out of his shell, as much as that is possible, while a serious person will find a serious INTP looking back at him. In this sense, INTPs preference for intuitive perception (rather than action) with respect to people results in them resembling a chameleon. The INTP can fit into many different modes of behaviour, even contradictory ones, in order to get into the mindset of the other person.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Since Jung and Myers say that Ne type behavior likes chage for it's own sake, then it would be most likely anyone using that function on a normal basis. Se types do not like change for it's own sake and can be confused as adaptibility equating to change.

I did not vote since the choices are limited to one and becaue all NP types can be considered chamelons. In fact Paul James describes INTPs as:

Thanks for pointing that out... that's why I'm here.. to learn. I never saw that before. This is a characteristic of mine that I have disliked most of my thinking life. It has made me feel phoney althought I know I'm not. I've struggled with authenticity because of it. Now, authenticity is a near obsession for me. So, perhaps, that characteristic changes/modifies with age?

Edit: In thinking about this propensity over the years, I've decided that this characteristic is the result of "acting" so often. IE: pushing emotions down in order to stay in my "thinking" comfort zone. I've learned to mirror the other as it was the only way to relate "normally (lol)" That's a lame attempt at explaining.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Based on the Paul James quote, I voted INTP.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
My husband is INTP and I don't think he's very chameleon-like, according to the James definition. He doesn't dance at parties, eg, but talks quietly to people who come to him; he doesn't drink, play party games or spontaneously drive off to see fireworks, the full moon or high tide. He's agreeable and pleasant with most people, but he doesn't act high-spirited, no matter what the people around him are doing. However, he's good at not standing out or taking the spotlight, so in that way, he's like a chameleon.

I vote ENTP. In my experience, they can be high-spirited or low-key, amiable or assertive, playful or serious, etc. They can read and match atmosphere, surroundings and general activity level well.

Jae Rae

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP's are really good at this, but I voted ENFP because they are more people oriented. (They also tend to be the type most overrepresented among actors.)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think ENTP, because of having both Ne and Fe. ENFP's are close seconds, but the Fi gives them this weird individualist/personal vibe that isn't easily erased.

redacted

i dont think ENFPs are very good fakers, honestly. their Fi values show through too much.

Fe is necessary for being a chameleon, IMO.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Just my opinion, but it's not necessarily a character flaw. I consider it a natural propensity to blend in and adapt to the environment one finds themselves in. This is probably just as conducive to all perceiving types. On the other hand, we have all met people who are the same wherever they are or go. I sometimes find these people disrespectful of the immediate environment when they are unable to blend in when necessary, therefore can cause animosity to the the differing culture depending on how much they need to adapt.

Seanan, your point is well taken in being cognizant of feeling phony. That as Myers says, is indicative of introverts in general knowing when they are not being themselves and extraverts' inability to distinguish their true selves from their personnas.

As for Jae Rae, assuming that hubby has validated his being INTP and this not being an amateur prognosis his type, have you considered that you are the determining factor in how he behaves? Lenore Thomson says that ITPs are the Jekyll and Hydes of the MBTI. This is corroborated by the enneagram if he is E5, due to strong Ti/E5 types being able to compartmentalize their lives. Generally their acquaintences (notice I did not say friends because Ti can cause this type to do a hairsplit in knowing the difference) do not know of one another. Ergo, he may be consistent in his behavior in your presence. It would be interesting how he behaves when you're not around. Mind you even when being chameleon-like, does not mean we necessarily do a 180 degree turn. My degree of getting involved depends on my comfort with the people that I am intermingling. The more people I know and feel comfortable being around, the higher degree of involvement I will have.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
You raise a good point about compartmentalizing. His friends and work buddies tend not to know each other or mix well, this has been tested at housewarmings and birthday parties.

I get what you're saying, but he's never been a party guy, didn't dance until we took lessons, etc.; he's good, just doesn't like to put himself out there that way. On the other hand, I like to dance at parties and mingle.

As for typing, are you saying every single person on this forum has to have been typed professionally for us to discuss not only him/her but relatives, friends and acquaintances?

Not sure about the Enneagram; he always seemed like a 9 to me. But we haven't had it professionally checked.

Jae Rae

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
You raise a good point about compartmentalizing. His friends and work buddies tend not to know each other or mix well, this has been tested at housewarmings and birthday parties.

I get what you're saying, but he's never been a party guy, didn't dance until we took lessons, etc.; he's good, just doesn't like to put himself out there that way. On the other hand, I like to dance at parties and mingle.

As for typing, are you saying every single person on this forum has to have been typed professionally for us to discuss not only him/her but relatives, friends and acquaintances?

Not sure about the Enneagram; he always seemed like a 9 to me. But we haven't had it professionally checked.

Jae Rae

Probably the best way is to just ask him if he ever feels "phoney" interacting with others. Being one who feels that way, its not a value judgement. Its not done deliberately to "trick" people. Its just how I feel internally. I was relieved to see what ? had to say.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm surprised people haven't said ESTP. I would've thought that this type above the ENTP was more chameleonesque. This is partly because I feel like they live their lives in clubs, bars, people's pants, so to maintain this lifestyle, they have to start spinning a web of deceit and flexibility. Like a Three on the Enneagram.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I thought I remember reading in the description for ENFJ recently the tendency to be sometimes like a "chameleon". I will try to find the link. I will wait to vote though until I have thought about it more. I have often thought of myself in this way. I am wondering if it has more to do with environment than type (though type might have more of a propensity to exhibit the behavior). By environment, I mean if any person is put through enough change they learn to adapt more readily. For example, I am sure any military kids that were forced to move around a lot are more likely to adapt to their surroundings than someone that has lived in the same house all of their lives.