• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type is the "chameleon" type?

Which type is the ultimate "chameleon"?

• Total voters

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Types most capable of chameleoning are ESTP, ENTP, ESFJ, and ENFJ.

Social chameleoning rests on the Se-Fe or Ne-Fe axis or any combination of extroverted perception and Fe. Why would you all ignore the one function that basically creates/standardizes socialization? I'd say generally TPs and FJs are more socially adaptable, because as socially retarded as ITPs may be (which isn't usually the case in my experience) they're way better at it than ITJs. The most adaptable FPs and TJs are ESFPs and ESTJs.

Also, I'd like to add the mere fact that most people voted intuitives as being the most socially adaptable is crazy. SJs and SPs represent the largest chunk of the population and yet they're not the most adaptable group?

ETA:

Which type do you think blends into it's environment best? ENFJ for blending, ESFJ for creating the environment in which to blend.
Which type is best at acting like other types? ESTP
Which type is the most adaptable/changeable? ENTP or ENFJ

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Also, I'd like to add the mere fact that most people voted intuitives as being the most socially adaptable is crazy. SJs and SPs represent the largest chunk of the population and yet they're not the most adaptable group?

I don't disagree with what you are said but I didn't understand this argument. Wouldn't the largest chunk of the population have less of a reason to adapt?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
As for typing, are you saying every single person on this forum has to have been typed professionally for us to discuss not only him/her but relatives, friends and acquaintances?
If hubby confirms his type then okay. Even professionals that I know never tell you your type, instead allow you to make that decision alone. When I took the MBTI Step II some seven years ago, my results were INTP. My administerer only commented that I was close in the S/N due to my line of work, but she never advised me that I was not INTP. In hindsight I am happy that she did not interfere, instead allowing me to take that journey myself.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't disagree with what you are said but I didn't understand this argument. Wouldn't the largest chunk of the population have less of a reason to adapt?

I guess so if they're mostly homogeneous. But I also think there is more variation within type than between type. You're asking what need do SJs/SPs have to blend in. Two people of the same type would be more likely blend towards each other, whereas two people with opposite types would have more difficulty. Which types (and functions) would be more likely/willing to blend and which ones wouldn't? An ESFJ would be more willing and likely to blend than an INTP. I'd consider that chameleoning.

And then there's the who temperament vs. type argument. SJs as a temperament would be more willing to blend in than NTs, so how would an ENTP be more be more blendable than an ESFJ? If SJs create the standard to which someone must adapt to, then which type/temperament outside of SJs would have the desire and ability to adapt to it?

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Two people of the same type would be more likely blend towards each other, whereas two people with opposite types would have more difficulty.
Excellent point. So, types with small differences blend more whereas people with too large of a gap just self-segregate.

And then there's the who temperament vs. type argument. SJs as a temperament would be more willing to blend in than NTs, so how would an ENTP be more be more blendable than an ESFJ?

Do you have a source? I have been looking and unable to find anything about this topic but I could have swore that I had read it somewhere.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my thoughts were along the lines that Se/Ne + Fe makes for good chameleoning- the ability to read what people are up to gives the ability to play into that :) I would say that the difference would be that SPs would be better at blending in real life while NTP/NFJs would be better at blending online ;) The difference being that the Se would be more in touch with the environment than the average N

ETA:

Which type do you think blends into it's environment best? ENFJ for blending, ESFJ for creating the environment in which to blend.
Which type is best at acting like other types? ESTP
Which type is the most adaptable/changeable? ENTP or ENFJ

:thelook: is this a jab PM? :huh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) ok! thanks! just wanted to clear that up because I was a bit confused about it :cry:

the rest of your post said what I'd been thinking! :D

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
If hubby confirms his type then okay. Even professionals that I know never tell you your type, instead allow you to make that decision alone. When I took the MBTI Step II some seven years ago, my results were INTP. My administerer only commented that I was close in the S/N due to my line of work, but she never advised me that I was not INTP. In hindsight I am happy that she did not interfere, instead allowing me to take that journey myself.

Hubby is only marginally interested in the MBTI.

As far as my assessment goes:

I - he's happy to spend lots of time alone and needs his downtime. He prefers to socialize with one other person or a small group. Parties and large groups make him uncomfortable unless: 1) he has a camera or 2) he's in the kitchen cooking. As I said before, he lets others come to him for quiet discussions.

N - no doubt there. He's not into sensory data.

T - again, no doubt there. He explains situations rather than sympathizing or listening empathetically. Doesn't share feelings or make decisions based on them.

NT - Rational fits him perfectly. Information-gatherer, problem-solver.

P - not a J. Easily adapts to changes of plans or unforeseen events. Not a planner himself. Forgets dates and times. Doesn't wear a watch. Doesn't have an appt. book, datebook, blackberry, etc. Doesn't make lists to go the store, routinely forgets items and goes back 2 or 3 times.

Looks like an INTP to me.

I understand your point, but really, how can we have a forum if every person has to have been assessed professionally before we can discuss his/her type?

I notice other people disagree about the chameleon-like nature of INTP, so it's not just my amateur observation. I've discussed typology with other members of this forum and the general consensus seems to be you can't eliminate someone from being a certain type based on one criterion, nor can you assign someone to a certain type based on one criterion. Perhaps some
INTPs are perfect chameleons. It seems others aren't.

Jae Rae

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Do you have a source? I have been looking and unable to find anything about this topic but I could have swore that I had read it somewhere.

Sources about temperament vs. type:
Temperament Theory Theory
Keirsey Temperament versus Myer-Briggs Types
Keirsey Temperament Website: Temperament vs Character

Stuff about the four temperaments:
Temperament Theory

People of the Stabilizer Temperament . . .
Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. Establish and maintain institutions and standard operating procedures. Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition. Foster enculturation with ceremonies and rules. Trust contracts and authority. Want security and stability. Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements. Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic. Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Types most capable of chameleoning are ESTP, ENTP, ESFJ, and ENFJ.
I can see Se and Ne dominant types since they're both perceiving types and adaptable (Se less than Ne), however I am totally baffled to how Fe dominant types can be considered. Go against the values of their social system and see just how ruthless they can be. I think that to be chameleon you must be able to adapt. Fe and Te types don't adapt, they force their wills and opinions onto a group.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
But Fe adapts to the groups, accepts the values of the group in order to get along and might push aside the personal values for the time being.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
But Fe adapts to the groups, accepts the values of the group in order to get along and might push aside the personal values for the time being.
Umm... there is no reason to believe that this could not occur. In fairness could Te dominant types put aside a need for empirical information for the sake of a group?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm surprised people haven't said ESTP. I would've thought that this type above the ENTP was more chameleonesque. This is partly because I feel like they live their lives in clubs, bars, people's pants, so to maintain this lifestyle, they have to start spinning a web of deceit and flexibility. Like a Three on the Enneagram.

Hahahahha. Have you had bad experiences with ESTPs?

Deceit and unhealthy Enneagram 3's does sound correct though.

I think ENTP, because of having both Ne and Fe. ENFP's are close seconds, but the Fi gives them this weird individualist/personal vibe that isn't easily erased.

Yay! The Fi accounts for quirkiness that shines through? I like that! I love it when MBTI theory accounts for quirks and it's comforting to know it's something shared and relatable to type. That's an interesting point of 'Fi vs. Fe' that some people have brought up.

I was going to say initially that ENTP is not naturally good nor inclined at blending in and would stand out. Similar to INTP except more assertive and noticeable.

I agree with Jae Rae, from my personal experience, INTP DOES NOT do chameleon. They have neither the inclination nor aptitude. I don't think they could blend in if they tried to the point it could be a source of frustration for others as well as a reason for admiration. They also tend to be too much of a (vocal) critic in social settings to blend in.

I also chose ENFP over ENTP initially because I equate 'chameleon like' to strong empathy and a desire for social harmony. ENFP is naturally tuned into their social environment and will naturally temper our responses to it.

However, I've mentioned this before and people touched on this with the Fi vs. Fe thing, but I guess ENTPs could have a more objective and calculated even scientific approach to blending in and also have the benfit of being detached about it (it's much easier to blend in when you personally 'dont care') so might be more skillful and suave about blending in than an ENFP.

I also have to add though, because of my limited personal experience/understanding of other types, XNTP, XNFP, XSTJ, and XNXJ were what I was deciding between. I also don't think ISTJ is a good chameleon for similar reasons to why INTP is not a good blender.

Last edited:

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with Jae Rae, from my personal experience, INTP DOES NOT do chameleon. They have neither the inclination nor aptitude. I don't think they could blend in if they tried to the point it could be a source of frustration for others and a reason for admiration.

Curious as to why you think that?

I chameleon unconciously to the point that it disturbs me if I notice it. I pick up accents and mannerisms in no time. I've had to conciously control it cos I don't like just being a mirror of who I'm talking to. One on one, I think you're more likely to see yourself if you're talking to me, albeit quite an introverted one. At work I do it more deliberately because it helps the team work thing. In groups, I don't really chameleon at all - too many people, too much sensory overload.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Since Jung and Myers say that Ne type behavior likes chage for it's own sake, then it would be most likely anyone using that function on a normal basis. Se types do not like change for it's own sake and can be confused as adaptibility equating to change.

I did not vote since the choices are limited to one and becaue all NP types can be considered chamelons. In fact Paul James describes INTPs as:

change for its own sake? Yeah, maybe when I was, like, 12.

On the other hand, people who regularily use Se might like perpetual flouting- being a 'bad boy' for the sake of it (with hollywood as an example)

I mean those 'slacker' films can get really annoying. I hated Mallrats.

:peepwall:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just my opinion, but it's not necessarily a character flaw. I consider it a natural propensity to blend in and adapt to the environment one finds themselves in. This is probably just as conducive to all perceiving types. On the other hand, we have all met people who are the same wherever they are or go. I sometimes find these people disrespectful of the immediate environment when they are unable to blend in when necessary, therefore can cause animosity to the the differing culture depending on how much they need to adapt.

Seanan, your point is well taken in being cognizant of feeling phony. That as Myers says, is indicative of introverts in general knowing when they are not being themselves and extraverts' inability to distinguish their true selves from their personnas.

As for Jae Rae, assuming that hubby has validated his being INTP and this not being an amateur prognosis his type, have you considered that you are the determining factor in how he behaves? Lenore Thomson says that ITPs are the Jekyll and Hydes of the MBTI. This is corroborated by the enneagram if he is E5, due to strong Ti/E5 types being able to compartmentalize their lives. Generally their acquaintences (notice I did not say friends because Ti can cause this type to do a hairsplit in knowing the difference) do not know of one another. Ergo, he may be consistent in his behavior in your presence. It would be interesting how he behaves when you're not around. Mind you even when being chameleon-like, does not mean we necessarily do a 180 degree turn. My degree of getting involved depends on my comfort with the people that I am intermingling. The more people I know and feel comfortable being around, the higher degree of involvement I will have.

good point. If you pick 'wise quotes', you pick the ones you like. Nardi has exxcellent insights on this, particularily about the false oxymoron of non-mainstream stabalizers. Counter-culture is a culture!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I agree with Jae Rae, from my personal experience, INTP DOES NOT do chameleon. They have neither the inclination nor aptitude. I don't think they could blend in if they tried to the point it could be a source of frustration for others as well as a reason for admiration. They also tend to be too much of a (vocal) critic in social settings to blend in.

I agree - even though she does try, (and perhaps from her view she is bending a LOT) my INTP friend is so very, very much herself, it's impossible to mistake her for anything else. I wish I had that same sort of certainty in regards to my own identity!

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree - even though she does try, (and perhaps from her view she is bending a LOT) my INTP friend is so very, very much herself, it's impossible to mistake her for anything else. I wish I had that same sort of certainty in regards to my own identity!

no one told you to have empathy
now go sit in the corner and learn how to fly like a good NF

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
not to be biased
but why is it that IxFJ's have such a low tally ?