User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type is the ultimate "chameleon"?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

    11 17.46%
  • INTJ

    0 0%
  • ENTP

    17 26.98%
  • ENTJ

    0 0%
  • INFP

    1 1.59%
  • INFJ

    3 4.76%
  • ENFP

    13 20.63%
  • ENFJ

    10 15.87%
  • ISTP

    0 0%
  • ISTJ

    0 0%
  • ESTP

    3 4.76%
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ISFP

    3 4.76%
  • ISFJ

    1 1.59%
  • ESFP

    0 0%
  • ESFJ

    1 1.59%
First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 46

  1. #31
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Types most capable of chameleoning are ESTP, ENTP, ESFJ, and ENFJ.
    I can see Se and Ne dominant types since they're both perceiving types and adaptable (Se less than Ne), however I am totally baffled to how Fe dominant types can be considered. Go against the values of their social system and see just how ruthless they can be. I think that to be chameleon you must be able to adapt. Fe and Te types don't adapt, they force their wills and opinions onto a group.

  2. #32
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    But Fe adapts to the groups, accepts the values of the group in order to get along and might push aside the personal values for the time being.

  3. #33
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    But Fe adapts to the groups, accepts the values of the group in order to get along and might push aside the personal values for the time being.
    Umm... there is no reason to believe that this could not occur. In fairness could Te dominant types put aside a need for empirical information for the sake of a group?

  4. #34
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I'm surprised people haven't said ESTP. I would've thought that this type above the ENTP was more chameleonesque. This is partly because I feel like they live their lives in clubs, bars, people's pants, so to maintain this lifestyle, they have to start spinning a web of deceit and flexibility. Like a Three on the Enneagram.
    Hahahahha. Have you had bad experiences with ESTPs?

    Deceit and unhealthy Enneagram 3's does sound correct though.

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think ENTP, because of having both Ne and Fe. ENFP's are close seconds, but the Fi gives them this weird individualist/personal vibe that isn't easily erased.
    Yay! The Fi accounts for quirkiness that shines through? I like that! I love it when MBTI theory accounts for quirks and it's comforting to know it's something shared and relatable to type. That's an interesting point of 'Fi vs. Fe' that some people have brought up.

    I was going to say initially that ENTP is not naturally good nor inclined at blending in and would stand out. Similar to INTP except more assertive and noticeable.

    I agree with Jae Rae, from my personal experience, INTP DOES NOT do chameleon. They have neither the inclination nor aptitude. I don't think they could blend in if they tried to the point it could be a source of frustration for others as well as a reason for admiration. They also tend to be too much of a (vocal) critic in social settings to blend in.

    I also chose ENFP over ENTP initially because I equate 'chameleon like' to strong empathy and a desire for social harmony. ENFP is naturally tuned into their social environment and will naturally temper our responses to it.

    However, I've mentioned this before and people touched on this with the Fi vs. Fe thing, but I guess ENTPs could have a more objective and calculated even scientific approach to blending in and also have the benfit of being detached about it (it's much easier to blend in when you personally 'dont care') so might be more skillful and suave about blending in than an ENFP.

    I also have to add though, because of my limited personal experience/understanding of other types, XNTP, XNFP, XSTJ, and XNXJ were what I was deciding between. I also don't think ISTJ is a good chameleon for similar reasons to why INTP is not a good blender.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 03-26-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Inserted additional quote for clarity
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  5. #35
    Senior Member bluebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I agree with Jae Rae, from my personal experience, INTP DOES NOT do chameleon. They have neither the inclination nor aptitude. I don't think they could blend in if they tried to the point it could be a source of frustration for others and a reason for admiration.
    Curious as to why you think that?

    I chameleon unconciously to the point that it disturbs me if I notice it. I pick up accents and mannerisms in no time. I've had to conciously control it cos I don't like just being a mirror of who I'm talking to. One on one, I think you're more likely to see yourself if you're talking to me, albeit quite an introverted one. At work I do it more deliberately because it helps the team work thing. In groups, I don't really chameleon at all - too many people, too much sensory overload.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Since Jung and Myers say that Ne type behavior likes chage for it's own sake, then it would be most likely anyone using that function on a normal basis. Se types do not like change for it's own sake and can be confused as adaptibility equating to change.

    I did not vote since the choices are limited to one and becaue all NP types can be considered chamelons. In fact Paul James describes INTPs as:
    change for its own sake? Yeah, maybe when I was, like, 12.

    On the other hand, people who regularily use Se might like perpetual flouting- being a 'bad boy' for the sake of it (with hollywood as an example)

    I mean those 'slacker' films can get really annoying. I hated Mallrats.


  7. #37
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Just my opinion, but it's not necessarily a character flaw. I consider it a natural propensity to blend in and adapt to the environment one finds themselves in. This is probably just as conducive to all perceiving types. On the other hand, we have all met people who are the same wherever they are or go. I sometimes find these people disrespectful of the immediate environment when they are unable to blend in when necessary, therefore can cause animosity to the the differing culture depending on how much they need to adapt.

    Seanan, your point is well taken in being cognizant of feeling phony. That as Myers says, is indicative of introverts in general knowing when they are not being themselves and extraverts' inability to distinguish their true selves from their personnas.

    As for Jae Rae, assuming that hubby has validated his being INTP and this not being an amateur prognosis his type, have you considered that you are the determining factor in how he behaves? Lenore Thomson says that ITPs are the Jekyll and Hydes of the MBTI. This is corroborated by the enneagram if he is E5, due to strong Ti/E5 types being able to compartmentalize their lives. Generally their acquaintences (notice I did not say friends because Ti can cause this type to do a hairsplit in knowing the difference) do not know of one another. Ergo, he may be consistent in his behavior in your presence. It would be interesting how he behaves when you're not around. Mind you even when being chameleon-like, does not mean we necessarily do a 180 degree turn. My degree of getting involved depends on my comfort with the people that I am intermingling. The more people I know and feel comfortable being around, the higher degree of involvement I will have.
    good point. If you pick 'wise quotes', you pick the ones you like. Nardi has exxcellent insights on this, particularily about the false oxymoron of non-mainstream stabalizers. Counter-culture is a culture!

  8. #38
    To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I agree with Jae Rae, from my personal experience, INTP DOES NOT do chameleon. They have neither the inclination nor aptitude. I don't think they could blend in if they tried to the point it could be a source of frustration for others as well as a reason for admiration. They also tend to be too much of a (vocal) critic in social settings to blend in.
    I agree - even though she does try, (and perhaps from her view she is bending a LOT) my INTP friend is so very, very much herself, it's impossible to mistake her for anything else. I wish I had that same sort of certainty in regards to my own identity!
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

    9w1 so/sx/sp

  9. #39
    Earth Exalted Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    I agree - even though she does try, (and perhaps from her view she is bending a LOT) my INTP friend is so very, very much herself, it's impossible to mistake her for anything else. I wish I had that same sort of certainty in regards to my own identity!
    no one told you to have empathy
    now go sit in the corner and learn how to fly like a good NF
    I N V I C T U S

  10. #40
    Earth Exalted Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    not to be biased
    but why is it that IxFJ's have such a low tally ?
    I N V I C T U S

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM
  2. Which emotion is the most satisfying to express for you and why?
    By Chimerical in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
  3. Which one is the most logical choice ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
  4. So, which letter is the most important?
    By Yloh in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM
  5. Which NT is the "Promethean" NT?
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO