User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type is the ultimate "chameleon"?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

    11 17.46%
  • INTJ

    0 0%
  • ENTP

    17 26.98%
  • ENTJ

    0 0%
  • INFP

    1 1.59%
  • INFJ

    3 4.76%
  • ENFP

    13 20.63%
  • ENFJ

    10 15.87%
  • ISTP

    0 0%
  • ISTJ

    0 0%
  • ESTP

    3 4.76%
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ISFP

    3 4.76%
  • ISFJ

    1 1.59%
  • ESFP

    0 0%
  • ESFJ

    1 1.59%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 46

  1. #21
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Types most capable of chameleoning are ESTP, ENTP, ESFJ, and ENFJ.

    Social chameleoning rests on the Se-Fe or Ne-Fe axis or any combination of extroverted perception and Fe. Why would you all ignore the one function that basically creates/standardizes socialization? I'd say generally TPs and FJs are more socially adaptable, because as socially retarded as ITPs may be (which isn't usually the case in my experience) they're way better at it than ITJs. The most adaptable FPs and TJs are ESFPs and ESTJs.

    Also, I'd like to add the mere fact that most people voted intuitives as being the most socially adaptable is crazy. SJs and SPs represent the largest chunk of the population and yet they're not the most adaptable group?

    ETA:

    Which type do you think blends into it's environment best? ENFJ for blending, ESFJ for creating the environment in which to blend.
    Which type is best at acting like other types? ESTP
    Which type is the most adaptable/changeable? ENTP or ENFJ

  2. #22
    Fe, rusted. Poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Also, I'd like to add the mere fact that most people voted intuitives as being the most socially adaptable is crazy. SJs and SPs represent the largest chunk of the population and yet they're not the most adaptable group?
    I don't disagree with what you are said but I didn't understand this argument. Wouldn't the largest chunk of the population have less of a reason to adapt?


  3. #23
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    As for typing, are you saying every single person on this forum has to have been typed professionally for us to discuss not only him/her but relatives, friends and acquaintances?
    If hubby confirms his type then okay. Even professionals that I know never tell you your type, instead allow you to make that decision alone. When I took the MBTI Step II some seven years ago, my results were INTP. My administerer only commented that I was close in the S/N due to my line of work, but she never advised me that I was not INTP. In hindsight I am happy that she did not interfere, instead allowing me to take that journey myself.

  4. #24
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    I don't disagree with what you are said but I didn't understand this argument. Wouldn't the largest chunk of the population have less of a reason to adapt?
    I guess so if they're mostly homogeneous. But I also think there is more variation within type than between type. You're asking what need do SJs/SPs have to blend in. Two people of the same type would be more likely blend towards each other, whereas two people with opposite types would have more difficulty. Which types (and functions) would be more likely/willing to blend and which ones wouldn't? An ESFJ would be more willing and likely to blend than an INTP. I'd consider that chameleoning.

    And then there's the who temperament vs. type argument. SJs as a temperament would be more willing to blend in than NTs, so how would an ENTP be more be more blendable than an ESFJ? If SJs create the standard to which someone must adapt to, then which type/temperament outside of SJs would have the desire and ability to adapt to it?

  5. #25
    Fe, rusted. Poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Two people of the same type would be more likely blend towards each other, whereas two people with opposite types would have more difficulty.
    Excellent point. So, types with small differences blend more whereas people with too large of a gap just self-segregate.

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    And then there's the who temperament vs. type argument. SJs as a temperament would be more willing to blend in than NTs, so how would an ENTP be more be more blendable than an ESFJ?
    Do you have a source? I have been looking and unable to find anything about this topic but I could have swore that I had read it somewhere.


  6. #26
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,123

    Default

    my thoughts were along the lines that Se/Ne + Fe makes for good chameleoning- the ability to read what people are up to gives the ability to play into that I would say that the difference would be that SPs would be better at blending in real life while NTP/NFJs would be better at blending online The difference being that the Se would be more in touch with the environment than the average N


    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    ETA:

    Which type do you think blends into it's environment best? ENFJ for blending, ESFJ for creating the environment in which to blend.
    Which type is best at acting like other types? ESTP
    Which type is the most adaptable/changeable? ENTP or ENFJ
    is this a jab PM?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #27
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

    is this a jab PM?
    No way! I think what you did is funny and why typing people online is a joke. I ain't mad at cha.

  8. #28
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,123

    Default

    ok! thanks! just wanted to clear that up because I was a bit confused about it

    the rest of your post said what I'd been thinking!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #29
    Free-Rangin' Librarian Jae Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    If hubby confirms his type then okay. Even professionals that I know never tell you your type, instead allow you to make that decision alone. When I took the MBTI Step II some seven years ago, my results were INTP. My administerer only commented that I was close in the S/N due to my line of work, but she never advised me that I was not INTP. In hindsight I am happy that she did not interfere, instead allowing me to take that journey myself.
    Hubby is only marginally interested in the MBTI.

    As far as my assessment goes:

    I - he's happy to spend lots of time alone and needs his downtime. He prefers to socialize with one other person or a small group. Parties and large groups make him uncomfortable unless: 1) he has a camera or 2) he's in the kitchen cooking. As I said before, he lets others come to him for quiet discussions.

    N - no doubt there. He's not into sensory data.

    T - again, no doubt there. He explains situations rather than sympathizing or listening empathetically. Doesn't share feelings or make decisions based on them.

    NT - Rational fits him perfectly. Information-gatherer, problem-solver.

    P - not a J. Easily adapts to changes of plans or unforeseen events. Not a planner himself. Forgets dates and times. Doesn't wear a watch. Doesn't have an appt. book, datebook, blackberry, etc. Doesn't make lists to go the store, routinely forgets items and goes back 2 or 3 times.

    Looks like an INTP to me.

    I understand your point, but really, how can we have a forum if every person has to have been assessed professionally before we can discuss his/her type?

    I notice other people disagree about the chameleon-like nature of INTP, so it's not just my amateur observation. I've discussed typology with other members of this forum and the general consensus seems to be you can't eliminate someone from being a certain type based on one criterion, nor can you assign someone to a certain type based on one criterion. Perhaps some
    INTPs are perfect chameleons. It seems others aren't.

    Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

  10. #30
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Do you have a source? I have been looking and unable to find anything about this topic but I could have swore that I had read it somewhere.
    Sources about temperament vs. type:
    Temperament Theory Theory
    Keirsey Temperament versus Myer-Briggs Types
    Keirsey Temperament Website: Temperament vs Character

    Stuff about the four temperaments:
    Temperament Theory

    People of the Stabilizer Temperament . . .
    Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. Establish and maintain institutions and standard operating procedures. Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition. Foster enculturation with ceremonies and rules. Trust contracts and authority. Want security and stability. Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements. Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic. Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM
  2. Which emotion is the most satisfying to express for you and why?
    By Chimerical in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
  3. Which one is the most logical choice ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
  4. So, which letter is the most important?
    By Yloh in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM
  5. Which NT is the "Promethean" NT?
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO