User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Why dont you ever smile?

I am so tired of hearing people say this to me... or my other favorites

"are you mad/sad?" or "why so serious" which has become ever more popular since Batman... sigh.

Look... I'll frickin smile when I feel like smiling. I dont walk around with a smile on my face all the time, honestly I dont know why, I think because its tiring, I have literally TRIED to do that, and my face begins to quiver and and my eyes eventually begin to water. And what the hell am I smiling at anyway? I am fairly stoic anyway, and to save time, no I am not excited, not excited that I am graduating college, got a new job, nephew was born, am going on a roller coaster, lost my virginity, etc etc... I dont get excited. I do occasionally get a quick tingle inside if I think up something clever or I put my mind to something and see it finished and accomplished, but other then that, nothing.

Does anyone else feel this way? Check in with your MBTI while you're at it.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't make much fuss about it. People know that I don't, so they don't pester me over it. However, I can secretly smile when I get some insight about the world. It's like a joke that no one else but yourself understands

Oh, and I'm INTJ with relatively strong Ni [but also Ne...] and Te (but I usually refrain from saying what cognitive functions I'm "good" at, since all of them are used anyway.).
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Look... I'll frickin smile when I feel like smiling. I dont walk around with a smile on my face all the time...its tiring...And what the hell am I smiling at anyway? I am fairly stoic anyway, and to save time, no I am not excited... I dont get excited. I do occasionally get a quick tingle inside if I think up something clever or I put my mind to something and see it finished and accomplished, but other then that, nothing.
    Yup, that's about it for me as well. INFJ.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This happens to me too. It seems to be a pretty common INFJ experience. And then I get odd looks when I occasionally smile and laugh to myself at random funny thoughts. Though I am making a conscious effort to try and look just a tiny bit happier in day to day life...but some days it's more effort than it's worth.

I do get excited about things and can be very animated then. I also have a generally friendly and smiling manner when I talk to other people. But I know that I look fairly serious and even sad when on my own, walking down the street etc.

My default expression seems to be the thousand-yard stare...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    I don't make much fuss about it. People know that I don't, so they don't pester me over it. However, I can secretly smile when I get some insight about the world. It's like a joke that no one else but yourself understands

Oh, and I'm INTJ with relatively strong Ni [but also Ne...] and Te (but I usually refrain from saying what cognitive functions I'm "good" at, since all of them are used anyway.).
    I think INTJs smile a lot, just not usually when people are around. in fact, they can have straight up mad scientist moments alone in their rooms and often let out a crazed, maniacal laugh that is destinctly INTJ
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Huh. I'm not exactly bubbly and perky, but I don't get people telling me to smile all that often. Could there be something specifically about INFJs that gives a gloomy or 'too serious' impression?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i dont get anyone say this to me, even tho im an INTP. but im a weirdo for an INTP because i smile quite alot, i smile when im with other people(not all the time tho), when im alone(like now thinking about this) and when im around strangers(in a bus for example) and think of something funny(i try to resist it tho, because it looks weird, but what looks even more weird is that when im trying to resist it too hard and barely can)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    IsFJ

The worst part is when I smile or laugh, then the very same people who asked me why I looked so downcast ask me "What are you so happy about?" (not in a negative way, mind you). WTH? Are you the Mood Police, dad?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've had the opposite problem it seems. People will walk up to me and say things "what are you smiling about?" or "you look really happy" even when I'm not. Maybe I just subconsciously smile when nervous or stressed.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

garbage

I've come across people who complained that they can't read me. I've also had people tell me to quit smirking. Both groups can go to hell.