• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why dont you ever smile?

rav3n

In real life I smile a lot. Just not in pictures since it feels so fake and hate having my pic taken.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"are you mad/sad?"

Nope, most likely I am either neutral or tired.

"why so serious"

*giggles at the notion*

I dont walk around with a smile on my face all the time

I don't understand how anyone is supposed to be able to do that. It would be physically painful for me and I'd probably forget to smile like every 15 seconds.

I dont get excited.

Except I don't relate to this part. I get excited, and sometimes when I do, those who said I should smile more probably regret that they did ;)

F

figsfiggyfigs

I used to smile ALL THE TIME. All the time. I just found that people reacted a lot better to me when I am smiling... but this was years ago, I don't bother anymore. I have a pretty neutral face, so people always assume I'm pissed off.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I get "are you okay?" and "you look like you're about to cry" occasionally... when I'm perfectly fine. :cheese: I do believe I look a lil' stoic IRL as many have pointed out. However IMO I do smile/laugh a lot.

Actually, it's always the same two people that say those things to me so I'm going to assume it's their problem, not mine.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"it takes fewer muscles to smile than it does it frown!"

but it takes no muscles to do neither.... :|

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha man i get the opposite ones. "why are you smiling" "why do you smile so much" "whats so funny" ?!?!?

none of your business. leave me alone. :)

A

Anew Leaf

I hate pictures and being told to smile like I am a chimp showing submissiveness (thank you Dwight schrute for that tidbit.)

I generally smile when I am out with friends or by myself (if I am in a giggly mood.). Otherwise I feel like I stay pretty neutral. At work I am unsmiling because people are stupid and annoy me easily.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I smile a lot, especially when I'm greeting or welcoming someone or when they're saying something that gives me positive feelings. Sometimes I smile out of politeness, but then I try to think of something fun so people don't notice it's fake.

wolfy

awsm
I smile a lot more than I did when I was younger. I smile to show different things... "it was a joke" " I like you" ....

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate pictures and being told to smile like I am a chimp showing submissiveness (thank you Dwight schrute for that tidbit.)

I generally smile when I am out with friends or by myself (if I am in a giggly mood.). Otherwise I feel like I stay pretty neutral. At work I am unsmiling because people are stupid and annoy me easily.

My coworkers and I joke about this at work. We leave our pleasant homes and families and pets and get to work and it's like. Shit is hitting the fan. Everyone's running around looking like hurricane Katrina just happened. Bells are gonig off. Phones are ringing, people are talking over one another, desks covered in paperwork and charts. People are mauling you over. And then, without fail, someone says. "What's wrong? Why aren't you smiling?"

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I interact with people, I think I tend to be in 'engaging' mode so will mirror them or I'll obviously smile if I think something is funny, or whatever. Pretty normal I'd say.

I also tend to show - pretty obviously - when I'm happy, or excited - so will have a big grin on my face and my face will become animated/expressive.

Also, re. photos, I've always smiled in them and don't feel fake doing so. (usually when I'm in a situation where I'm having my photo taken, I AM happy, haha)

But when I'm on my own, or at work, or am with someone and we're not actively talking, or I'm thinking... my neutral face is definitely read as 'sad', or 'what's wrong', or 'tired', or any number of more negative things.

H

Hate

I am so tired of hearing people say this to me... or my other favorites

"are you mad/sad?" or "why so serious" which has become ever more popular since Batman... sigh.

Look... I'll frickin smile when I feel like smiling. I dont walk around with a smile on my face all the time, honestly I dont know why, I think because its tiring, I have literally TRIED to do that, and my face begins to quiver and and my eyes eventually begin to water. And what the hell am I smiling at anyway? I am fairly stoic anyway, and to save time, no I am not excited, not excited that I am graduating college, got a new job, nephew was born, am going on a roller coaster, lost my virginity, etc etc... I dont get excited. I do occasionally get a quick tingle inside if I think up something clever or I put my mind to something and see it finished and accomplished, but other then that, nothing.

Does anyone else feel this way? Check in with your MBTI while you're at it.

Dude, are you okay? Are you mad or something? Why are there no smilies in your post?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Facial impression is one of the most important communication methods, cause you can tell stories with it, without saying a word. That saves time.

Still some people somehow do think they can see the dawning apocalypse in your face and demand from you by telling that to you to tell them how you feel. That's a bit sucky indeed, especially when you just got out of bed in the morning and someone at work is telling you that your this days mood will be bad :/.

I've been told sometimes especially by people close to me, why I am too serious sometimes and dont smile. Then again I smile alot and if you do the downside is people ask you why you are not when you are not doing it.

I think smiling is important, it brings you sympathy with others. I tend to smile always, typically salesmanlike, which brings me alot of sympathy with people. For me it was more complicated to recognize when I am sad and to learn to express that. Cause when I am sad, I rather keep on smiling, what never helps solving my problem :/

myexplodingcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I think INTJs smile a lot, just not usually when people are around. in fact, they can have straight up mad scientist moments alone in their rooms and often let out a crazed, maniacal laugh that is destinctly INTJ

That is flippin' awesome.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to smile and laugh to myself even, which sometimes disturbs other people... it's not my fault that I find things funny all of the time! :cry: