User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why dont you ever smile?

4 so/sp

When I interact with people, I think I tend to be in 'engaging' mode so will mirror them or I'll obviously smile if I think something is funny, or whatever. Pretty normal I'd say.

I also tend to show - pretty obviously - when I'm happy, or excited - so will have a big grin on my face and my face will become animated/expressive.

Also, re. photos, I've always smiled in them and don't feel fake doing so. (usually when I'm in a situation where I'm having my photo taken, I AM happy, haha)

But when I'm on my own, or at work, or am with someone and we're not actively talking, or I'm thinking... my neutral face is definitely read as 'sad', or 'what's wrong', or 'tired', or any number of more negative things.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I am so tired of hearing people say this to me... or my other favorites

"are you mad/sad?" or "why so serious" which has become ever more popular since Batman... sigh.

Look... I'll frickin smile when I feel like smiling. I dont walk around with a smile on my face all the time, honestly I dont know why, I think because its tiring, I have literally TRIED to do that, and my face begins to quiver and and my eyes eventually begin to water. And what the hell am I smiling at anyway? I am fairly stoic anyway, and to save time, no I am not excited, not excited that I am graduating college, got a new job, nephew was born, am going on a roller coaster, lost my virginity, etc etc... I dont get excited. I do occasionally get a quick tingle inside if I think up something clever or I put my mind to something and see it finished and accomplished, but other then that, nothing.

Does anyone else feel this way? Check in with your MBTI while you're at it.
    Dude, are you okay? Are you mad or something? Why are there no smilies in your post?

3w2 so

Facial impression is one of the most important communication methods, cause you can tell stories with it, without saying a word. That saves time.

Still some people somehow do think they can see the dawning apocalypse in your face and demand from you by telling that to you to tell them how you feel. That's a bit sucky indeed, especially when you just got out of bed in the morning and someone at work is telling you that your this days mood will be bad :/.

I've been told sometimes especially by people close to me, why I am too serious sometimes and dont smile. Then again I smile alot and if you do the downside is people ask you why you are not when you are not doing it.

I think smiling is important, it brings you sympathy with others. I tend to smile always, typically salesmanlike, which brings me alot of sympathy with people. For me it was more complicated to recognize when I am sad and to learn to express that. Cause when I am sad, I rather keep on smiling, what never helps solving my problem :/
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Junior Member Array myexplodingcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think INTJs smile a lot, just not usually when people are around. in fact, they can have straight up mad scientist moments alone in their rooms and often let out a crazed, maniacal laugh that is destinctly INTJ
    That is flippin' awesome.
    ^ I did just say that. But I might be joking. Or asleep.

The writing of a female and teenage INTP (!):

Definition of "Thinker": N. One who would rather have a solution to his problem than emotional sympathy that does nothing, because if he comes to you with a problem, he actually wants to solve it. Thinking does not equate androidism.

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

I tend to smile and laugh to myself even, which sometimes disturbs other people... it's not my fault that I find things funny all of the time!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett