User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Saturned, are you certain your not an E?

In the sense that your E/I preference is not neccessarily decided by observable behaviors, like being social and engaging, but by the psychic energy, and external focus.
    oh dear god.... a type indentity crisis!! isn't that what all ENFPs do?!?! hehe!

I am not sure. I grew up as an only child so I had to fend for myself as far as being "entertained" went. I live alone by choice now, and I am pretty happy with it except these nagging times when I wish I had a roommate or something..... so I could *gasp* spend time with someone. I rarely get bored though.. there is always something I can do to occupy my time. A project, a book, a nap, a walk, a gaze at the clouds moment.

When I took the MBTI test when I was 18, I remember testing fairly high on the introvert scale. I primarily get my energy from being alone, but after I leave a party with friends I feel quite exhilierated and energized. After a long day at work (like right now) I am feeling low energy and that I want a nap. But after about 10 minutes of being alone at home, I know that I will be feeling more peppy.

Now I feel all topsy - turvy.

!

I might have to dig up my old MBTI sheet and see what I scored as.... I think the only "slight" preference on my sheet was the P/J scale. I scored a 15 on the P side. (52 was the extreme for either side, and 0 was the middle area.... My dad took it and scored a 51 on Thinking.)

Anew Leaf

Eh...you could be a natural extravert. I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same thing as "springing into action" without thought though. It sounds you handled those situations perfectly, and you were very controlled and deliberate. The stress response thing I quoted was talking specifically about reactions that aren't necessarily voluntary, and whether they tend to be uncontrolled action or paralysis.
    I see what you mean now.

I am not sure. I just know that if there is an actual, factual crisis going on, I can take charge and deal with what's going on. What I can't handle is when there is a crisis in my mind.... that paralyzes me into complete shutdown and inaction mode. Which I attribute to the fact that I need to boost my self-confidence a bit, stop thinking about issues in black and white, and get some gumption.

I could just be closer to the E side of things now than I used to be. Can people change types? I know they are preferences.... but they still seem as ingrained as DNA to me at times.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Some people swear I am an extrovert according to how I approach situations, though I have noticed socializing is a use it or lose it quality. Meaning the more I hang out with people the better I get at it an more extroverted and confident I become, while the less I hang out with people the more shy and less likely I am to want to socialize at all. I can easily fall into my introverted world never to even think about sticking my head out.

Oddly enough my (what I have typed as INFP) friend will admit to getting antsy when left to himself for too long and swears a healthy social life is very good for him....

Not what I would expect from your typical introvert.
    ENTJs are not necessarily socially focused. They can be, but because of Te dominance even if they have an outward focus it is object or task focused.

You are so not an INTx. I think your denial is very similar to my own in that regard (thinking I was INFx). Just because you like time to yourself/solitude/reflection et al often just means you're an ENxx and not an ENFJ (Fe dominance lends itself more to people). I think if you're loud, dominant, responsive, reactive, etc. you're an extrovert, no matter how much you need space or alone time.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    oh dear god.... a type indentity crisis!! isn't that what all ENFPs do?!?! hehe!

I am not sure. I grew up as an only child so I had to fend for myself as far as being "entertained" went. I live alone by choice now, and I am pretty happy with it except these nagging times when I wish I had a roommate or something..... so I could *gasp* spend time with someone. I rarely get bored though.. there is always something I can do to occupy my time. A project, a book, a nap, a walk, a gaze at the clouds moment.

When I took the MBTI test when I was 18, I remember testing fairly high on the introvert scale. I primarily get my energy from being alone, but after I leave a party with friends I feel quite exhilierated and energized. After a long day at work (like right now) I am feeling low energy and that I want a nap. But after about 10 minutes of being alone at home, I know that I will be feeling more peppy.

Now I feel all topsy - turvy.

!

I might have to dig up my old MBTI sheet and see what I scored as.... I think the only "slight" preference on my sheet was the P/J scale. I scored a 15 on the P side. (52 was the extreme for either side, and 0 was the middle area.... My dad took it and scored a 51 on Thinking.)
    I'm sorry!
    I wasn't even going to question that, because I think its slightly rude to question peoples types and believe people know themselves best! But I was curious because, as said before, your a fire-cracker and can almost appear ENFP-ish online lol!
    Anyhow, I was raised only-child until 13, and I completely indentify with your energy descriptions. I am fairly close to the border on E/I though.. and have only come to accept my ENFP-ness because after careful consideration of NE vs FI dom, and questioning alot of my friends and family about it, I know I am Ne dom. I always look to the idea first, and think about how I feel about it later.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Eh...you could be a natural extravert. I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same thing as "springing into action" without thought though. It sounds you handled those situations perfectly, and you were very controlled and deliberate. The stress response thing I quoted was talking specifically about reactions that aren't necessarily voluntary, and whether they tend to be uncontrolled action or paralysis.

This sounds more like the impulsive action the page I quoted was talking about. Especially if you think you would have done the same if you'd been in serious danger. And the bolded...I have a very hard time picturing an introvert saying that. Everyone likely says or does the occasional impulsive thing, but if it happens all the time and it's a major flaw of yours, and if stress makes you more likely to act that way rather than less....yeah, I think that's a strong sign of extraversion.

That's actually one of the things I find most puzzling about extraverts. When I started reading about tertiary temptation and "loops", the idea of extraverted loops just blew my mind. The thought of someone always being compelled to act, and having to stop themselves and make themselves reflect more....I can hardly wrap my head around that. I try to imagine it, and it seems so completely bass-ackwards and bizarre to me.

@ the OP: Are there any reasons besides shyness that made you decide you were introverted? If feeling shy was the main thing that made you think 'I' for yourself, you're right to reconsider that now. I don't know you well enough to have an opinion on your type though.
    Yeah, my reactivity and extraverted loops to keep responding, pursuing, and being almost compulsively compelled to act can be very beneficial to my well-being, success, and personal safety, but can make my life very pain in the realm of relationships sometimes.

I have learned that it is definitely not a way to deal with INTJs.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    What's the difference?
    A shy extravert is more uncomfortable alone, he doesn't get anything from being alone, he doesn't "charge his batteries", he avoids his anxiety.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

There are some people I know and they always need background noise, silence just isn't an option, they kind of perplex me, like they're afraid of hearing their own thoughts or something.

It makes me wonder what happens to them when they introspect, is their internal world a really horrible painful place? It almost seems like they're constantly trying to distract themself from some inner pain but I'm hugely speculating here.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    ENTJs are not necessarily socially focused. They can be, but because of Te dominance even if they have an outward focus it is object or task focused.

You are so not an INTx. I think your denial is very similar to my own in that regard (thinking I was INFx). Just because you like time to yourself/solitude/reflection et al often just means you're an ENxx and not an ENFJ (Fe dominance lends itself more to people). I think if you're loud, dominant, responsive, reactive, etc. you're an extrovert, no matter how much you need space or alone time.
    Actually I typed myself XNtJ

The introverted extrovert, and probably more emo than your average NT.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    There are some people I know and they always need background noise, silence just isn't an option, they kind of perplex me, like they're afraid of hearing their own thoughts or something.

It makes me wonder what happens to them when they introspect, is their internal world a really horrible painful place? It almost seems like they're constantly trying to distract themself from some inner pain but I'm hugely speculating here.
    I'm not sure this phenomenon has anything to do with introversion or extroversion. I think people who need the television on all day long and while they sleep 'for company' might have a personality disorder. I do agree that some people are extremely extroverted and seem to constantly need contact (and I've always thought this was more common in ESxx types, since they are present in the here and now, or "the moment", their true surroundings more so than ENxx, but also some people are just more introverted or extroverted on a sliding scale due to simply being individuals whether ESxx or ENxx).

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post

Interestingly, that's supposed to be the Seven's fixation in Enneagram theory - avoiding bad thoughts and feelings by seeking possibilities and experiences. That's why they're in the Head Triad.

/offtopicness