User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Anew Leaf

If you don't feel like you fit one side more than the other, even by 51% to 49%, then ask yourself this question: If there is an emergency do you tend to stand still and feel somewhat shutdown or in slow motion? If you have a standstill reaction to stress more often, then you are probably an introvert. In a crisis do you tend to move your body immediately and feel like taking action, maybe without pausing to think? Then you are probably an extrovert if you react with movement. Under stress we can experience our innate temperament.
    I am a super introvert but when there is an actual crisis, I calm down, focus, and get shit done.

Now, when the "crisis" is all in my head.... Well, that's when I bog down in INFP land and don't do anything about anything.

And as hermity as I am.... I was sick a couple years ago and had to stay home alone for a week. I was so happy to see people after that week, I could have hugged them.

I am currently planning a mini vacation for myself. I am going to take an unheard of 4 days in a row off. My plan is to get shit done that I am putting off, go biking, and see a couple friends. whilst also spending quality introvert time alone with me and mah bunny.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am a super introvert but when there is an actual crisis, I calm down, focus, and get shit done.

Now, when the "crisis" is all in my head.... Well, that's when I bog down in INFP land and don't do anything about anything.

And as hermity as I am.... I was sick a couple years ago and had to stay home alone for a week. I was so happy to see people after that week, I could have hugged them.

I am currently planning a mini vacation for myself. I am going to take an unheard of 4 days in a row off. My plan is to get shit done that I am putting off, go biking, and see a couple friends. whilst also spending quality introvert time alone with me and mah bunny.
    Yes, what occurred to me is that NFP can actually act STJ under stress. That's why my question was regarding Se and Te, or if all extroverts do this.

I relate to "crisis in head" freezing up...but when something actually happens in the external environment I immediately move, want to take action, may even start telling others what to do. I can really suprise myself at how level-headed I can become if I am forced to be in the moment to handle something...because if I sit and just completely imagine "what could possibly go wrong" that's more likely to make me anxious, nervous, or paralyze me. It's so weird.

I don't relate to this "everything moving in slow motion" thing, though. I've always wondered about that, my whole life, like who does this happen to? Do they mean the feeling of non-reality you get when someone dies? What does that even mean? Maybe I don't experience it. Or is it just that when something tragic happens you become hyper-aware through adrenaline so notice every little detail?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    People who immediately react or take charge are extroverts? Or just types with more Se or Te?

Anyway, by that definition I'd be an extravert.
    Yeah, she's saying if your most common stress response is to spring into some sort of action, you're more extraverted. Introverts tend to feel like freezing up more. She didn't write about different types of I's or E's, so I'm rather curious about what, say, an ISxP type would say about this.

In any case, that doesn't mean you can't learn to manage that first instinct and react in whatever way is more productive. But generally introverts will have a more difficult time pushing themselves into action, and extroverts will find it harder to refrain from acting impulsively.

Anew Leaf

My parents always loved telling this story about me... When I was 4 my parents bought a house and did the landscaping themselves. We had to go and pick up more river rocks at some rock place, and they brought me along. My dad was shoveling rock into the flatbed and my mom and I were in the cab. My dad forgot to set the parking break, and the truck started rolling. My ENFP mom panicked and I calmly reached over and yanked the lever, stopping the truck.

I definitely feel like I go into a different mode when there is a crisis. Emotions are gone and I see pretty clearly what needs to be done. I had a big day like that last year when I had to take charge, kick ass, and take names. It was a week before my mom died and the hospital wasn't helping us at all on some important things going on. I don't get a chance to exercise this skill a lot and I was so thankful to have it. My super INFP aunt does the deer in the headlights thing whenever there is a problem. I find it very irritating.

Maybe this means I am supposed to be more of an extravert but the weight of the world has crushed me like a grape!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Yeah, she's saying if your most common stress response is to spring into some sort of action, you're more extraverted. Introverts tend to feel like freezing up more. She didn't write about different types of I's or E's, so I'm rather curious about what, say, an ISxP type would say about this.

In any case, that doesn't mean you can't learn to manage that first instinct and react in whatever way is more productive. But generally introverts will have a more difficult time pushing themselves into action, and extroverts will find it harder to refrain from acting impulsively.
    I'd say I have a more difficult time refraining from acting impulsively than freezing up. It's actually been a great benefit to me. One time, when I was about twenty years old, this dude tried to snatch my purse, but he was half drunk and I immediately just started yelling at him and beating him with said purse, so he wasn't able to take it. I also tend to move into action if things happen to other people, as well. I tend to be more level-headed when it's happening to someone else though, like I can just go in and handle it.

Anew Leaf

I'd say I have a more difficult time refraining from acting impulsively than freezing up. It's actually been a great benefit to me. One time, when I was about twenty years old, this dude tried to snatch my purse, but he was half drunk and I immediately just started yelling at him and beating him with said purse, so he wasn't able to take it. I also tend to move into action if things happen to other people, as well. I tend to be more level-headed when it's happening to someone else though, like I can just go in and handle it.
    I think it is a lot easier to do that to help others than yourself .

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I think it is a lot easier to do that to help others than yourself .
    Yeah, I mean, I think sometimes being reactive or impulsive could be detrimental, and I'm more likely to be that way when it concerns glorious me, rather than a task that involves serving others.

My brash impulsiveness I would say can be one of my biggest flaws...but I didn't get my purse stolen, dammit.

I just think, though, if that happened in some place like NYC I might have gotten shot by the mugger though. This was just some drunk douche at a party I was at in NC.

Anew Leaf

Yeah, I mean, I think sometimes being reactive or impulsive could be detrimental, and I'm more likely to be that way when it concerns glorious me, rather than a task that involves serving others.

My brash impulsiveness I would say can be one of my biggest flaws...but I didn't get my purse stolen, dammit.

I just think, though, if that happened in some place like NYC I might have gotten shot by the mugger though. This was just some drunk douche at a party I was at in NC.
    Very true! Gotta know your "audience." you probably scared him silly!

If someone is special to me then I get all mama bear for them. I was at a party a few months ago and my shy little INTP friend asked a girl to dance. She was very rude and vocal when she turned him down. I gave her quite the talking to and she finally left after attempting to verbally spar with me. If it had been myself I would have backed down, but not when it was my sweet friend! On guard! Rawr!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that method is extremely effective on Southern redneck douchebags. When I was in college some tweaker broke into my apartment when I was taking a nap and I starting yelling at him like I was possessed by the devil, he acted totally frightened, said something about being "the maintenance man" (he wasn't, he robbed two of my neighbors, luckily didn't take anything of mine) and claimed I scared him more than he scared me.

Of course he eventually was arrested. They found him hiding the closet of one of the other apartments.

I would presume though in larger cities that criminals might be more jaded and heavily armed.

*goes to purchase illegal sawed off shot gun*

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    haha, introvert/extravert test... would you rather be stuck in a mansion for a week with a big group of people, with no privacy (minus the bathroom of course), or alone in the house for a week, no social contact whatsoever allowed?
    Sounds both like hell to me. Though I might better survive the no social contact option as long as I had enough books, movies, computer games and other things to entertain myself in the mansion.