• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Function Fetish

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have an inferior Fe and engage in all sorts of music-related activities. One of my favorite bands, Manchester Orchestra, is a pretty good representation of Fe. I also write emotional poetry, which seems pretty F to me, even though it might be Fi. But then, another of my favorite musicians, Andrew Bird, is pretty thoughtful. And poetry requires complex manipulation of language. So they're probably global processes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't forget the quilting.

I'll be sitting outside in my porch swing wearing my striped overalls and engineers cap, eating prunes and werthers originals if you want to get together sometime and live dangerously. Bring your coins.

I plan to solve murder mysteries as I knit and bore my friends and neighbors to death with stories from all the people I've known and the things I've done in my life.

Wait...I already do the latter.

See? My inferior Si is fully functioning right on schedule.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*hugs her baby Fe*

Seconded. :wubbie:

Living with 2 Fe-doms and sharing a nice bond/friendship with two other Fe-doms. They facilitated more personal growth in me than did many others combined.

G

garbage

You must be doing some really hard drugs if you plan on quilting as you wait for death in your early thirties. Are your teeth already rotting?

Pff, nah. Drugs are clearly an Se thing, and I don't even use that function. Every day, I thank God for my cognitive function order.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Pop culture expertise is Ni?
I was waiting for this comment.

Ni and Si are defined in general terms as mapping external world to internal symbols. The Si map is static and based on "established" meaning. Ni meaning is uniquely defined at an individual level. The extraverted judging functions, Te or Fe, are necessary to actualize Ni's personal agenda. Si also depends on Je but uses Te/Fe to preserve the status quo.

Introverted perceiving (Pi) defines the worldview. Our expectation of "how the world works" is based on Ni/Si. Si believes that the future will be pretty much like the past. Ni is transformative - technology (Te) and society (Fe) can be shaped independently of traditional paradigms.

Back to the question of inferior Ni and pop culture. There are 2 ways of looking at mainstream entertainment. The Si version looks to the past - traditional country music, nostalgic themes in movies/tv, etc. Contemporary Christian music is largely an attempt to repackage Si values for a youthful audience.

"Pop culture" values novelty. The emphasis is on the immediate sensory experience (Se). Since extroverted perceiving must be balanced with the opposite introverted P-function then inferior Ni is absolutely associated with trendy, "American Idol" culture.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ni and Si are defined in general terms as mapping external world to internal symbols. The Si map is static and based on "established" meaning. Ni meaning is uniquely defined at an individual level. The extraverted judging functions, Te or Fe, are necessary to actualize Ni's personal agenda. Si also depends on Je but uses Te/Fe to preserve the status quo.

Introverted perceiving (Pi) defines the worldview. Our expectation of how "the world works" is based on Ni/Si. Si believes that the future will be pretty much like the past. Ni is transformative - technology (Te) and society (Fe) can be shaped independently of traditional paradigms.

Back to the question of inferior Ni and pop culture. There are 2 ways of looking mainstream entertainment. The Si version looks to the past - traditional country music, formulaic themes in movies/tv, etc. "Pop culture" values innovation. The emphasis is on the immediate sensory experience (Se). Since extroverted perceiving must be balanced with the opposite introverted version then inferior Ni is absolutely associated with trendy, "American Idol" culture.

Thank you. Theory is still very untrue for me, though, as far as I can see. :shrug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pff, nah. Drugs are clearly an Se thing, and I don't even use that function. Every day, I thank God for my cognitive function order.

Some days I wake up from my drug induced coma, (Se) and think "I wish I was more like Bologna" and then I start crying and have an emotional breakdown (Fi), when I realize that I have an appointment to go buy drugs and don't want to be late... (Te) and then I think... "what is the meaning?? what is the purpose??????" (Ni.)

Some days I wish my life was built on different functions. :( It's not easy being an ESFP.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmm. I do get lost in beautiful music sometimes...but only during the roughest times, so...

I've never been "moved" by visual arts...I appreciate it, but music can really stab right through the core.

G

garbage

Some days I wake up from my drug induced coma, (Se) and think "I wish I was more like Bologna" and then I start crying and have an emotional breakdown (Fi), when I realize that I have an appointment to go buy drugs and don't want to be late... (Te) and then I think... "what is the meaning?? what is the purpose??????" (Ni.)

Some days I wish my life was built on different functions. :( It's not easy being an ESFP.

Are you sure you're not an NT? Because your logic makes sense. I think that you're NT.

Oh, shit. I just realized that Se is one of my shadow functions. Could I have been using drugs this entire time without knowing it?

Shit. :doh:

rav3n

Introverted perceiving (Pi) defines the worldview. Our expectation of "how the world works" is based on Ni/Si. Si believes that the future will be pretty much like the past. Ni is transformative - technology (Te) and society (Fe) can be shaped independently of traditional paradigms.

Back to the question of inferior Ni and pop culture. There are 2 ways of looking at mainstream entertainment. The Si version looks to the past - traditional country music, nostalgic themes in movies/tv, etc. Contemporary Christian music is largely an attempt to repackage Si values for a youthful audience.

"Pop culture" values novelty. The emphasis is on the immediate sensory experience (Se). Since extroverted perceiving must be balanced with the opposite introverted P-function then inferior Ni is absolutely associated with trendy, "American Idol" culture.
While I'm not convinced you can map music genre preferences so explicitly, love your analytics from a logical perspective!