User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 169

  1. #61
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Here is my attempt:

    F: need for "goodness"
    T: need for honesty
    I can see where one would say this, but this focuses too much on the positive qualities of both sides. Feelers are not always good and Thinkers are not always honest.

    Some of the worst hurts I have recieved in life came from actions of Feelers and some of the most kindness came from Thinkers. To equate "good" with Feeling just doesn't sit well with me for that reason.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I have a problem with the words "FEELING" and "THINKING" being used in the MBTI or other systems.

    These words have the undertone that:
    - someone with a FEELING (F) preference is all warm, fuzzy and emotional with NO intellect or logic.
    - someone with a THINKING (T) preference is all about logic and no emotion or feelings, making them out to be cold, harsh, robotic etc.

    SO I propose a change of wordings from:

    "Feeling" to "Subjective Decision Making"
    "Thinking" to "Objective Decision Making"

    What say you??
    Extraverted feeling is objective. (extraversion as objective. I prefer the jungian definition of objective it's actually a lot less subjective than the definition many people who preach 'objectiviness' would use)

  3. #63
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Did you raise a theory then second it? How funny. I do agree and those are some good connotations.
    What do you mean? I didn't get it.

  4. #64
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default Feeling and Thinking

    The always ongoing discussion about MBTI F being feeling related and T being logical.

    From the booklet Dynamics of Personality type (L.V.Barens)

    "Judgement

    Thinking as a cognitive process is not the same as thought, analysis or intelligence. Here, it specifically means coming to decisions using objective criteria. Likewise, the Feeling process is not about emotion or feeling but evaluating events and circumstances according to importance and values."

    So
    T = coming to decisions using objective criteria
    F = evaluating events and circumstances according to importance and values

    This means that people that use F functions more are not necessarily any more emotional than people who use T functions more. Thinking preference does not mean supreme intelligence or Feeling preference supreme emotions.

  5. #65
    Earth Exalted Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Thank you
    I N V I C T U S

  6. #66
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Thank you.

    I'm a T and am quite emotional. However, this may have something to do with being a teenager.

    The difference between a T and an F is that a T will divide the cake in half because that's what's fair and an F will cut unevenly because that's the nice thing to do.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  7. #67
    almost half a doctor phoenix13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Thank you thank you thank you! It is so easy to forget this, and so frustrating when people do.

    "OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

  8. #68
    wholly charmed Spartacuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    The always ongoing discussion about MBTI F being feeling related and T being logical.

    This means that people that use F functions more are not necessarily any more emotional than people who use T functions more. Thinking preference does not mean supreme intelligence or Feeling preference supreme emotions.
    They are not necessarily more emotional, but aren't they more subjective? I think this is where the idea of the touchy-feely sensitive Fs sneaks in. The values that the Feeler taps into leads the F to decide something not on an objective basis but according to how others would feel regardless of what is being done, objectively. Since it's not to do with logic, its emotional on our binary scale. All it means is that they have more of a pulse on shared values, which may be fluffy or murderous.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

  9. #69
    almost half a doctor phoenix13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    They are not necessarily more emotional, but aren't they more subjective? I think this is where the idea of the touchy-feely sensitive Fs sneaks in. The values that the Feeler taps into leads the F to decide something not on an objective basis but according to how others would feel regardless of what is being done, objectively. Since it's not to do with logic, its emotional on our binary scale. All it means is that they have more of a pulse on shared values, which may be fluffy or murderous.
    I see what you mean, but it's not exactly as you say. It's not "emotion." We don't look at a math problem, feel warm and tingly, and decide, "math is good." We don't watch surgery, feel nauseous and say "surgery is bad." Nevertheless, it is a more subjective process. Note, however, that Fe is more in tune to how something effects other people and making decisions based off of that. Fi has its own value system that it makes decisions off of which is slightly less subjective. Of course, certain processes are most appropriate in certain situations. They're all needed and valid. [insert: pandas, confetti, candy, bunnies, smiley faces]

    "OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

  10. #70
    wholly charmed Spartacuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I see what you mean, but it's not exactly as you say. It's not "emotion."... Nevertheless, it is a more subjective process.
    Huh? That is what I said.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Note, however, that Fe is more in tune to how something effects other people and making decisions based off of that.
    I said this, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Fi has its own value system that it makes decisions off of which is slightly less subjective. Of course, certain processes are most appropriate in certain situations.
    Yep.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. Feeling Good and Critical Thinking
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 10:04 PM
  3. [JCF] Is "Feeling" as RATIONAL as "Thinking"?
    By Wonkavision in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
  4. [ISTJ] ISTJs (or all SJs) What do you think of these quotes?
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO