User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

BTW, I didn't add because its really just a personal opinion and not OT (well with a stretch.. maybe) its never going to stop no matter what the labels. The ones here who know the MB definitions will just quit discussing as its pointless and others will use bits and pieces ... buzz words... from MB to fight the same battles. Just seems people always need to think of someone as being better or less than in some way. Of course, there are egalitarians out there but I haven't seen many here.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I have a problem with the words "FEELING" and "THINKING" being used in the MBTI or other systems.

These words have the undertone that:
    - someone with a FEELING (F) preference is all warm, fuzzy and emotional with NO intellect or logic.
    - someone with a THINKING (T) preference is all about logic and no emotion or feelings, making them out to be cold, harsh, robotic etc.

SO I propose a change of wordings from:

"Feeling" to "Subjective Decision Making"
    "Thinking" to "Objective Decision Making"

What say you??
    Extreme versions of those types would indeed be that way. But I do think there are inaccuracies in the proposed name changes.

Subjective decision making could apply to any Introverted type, as Introversion is all about the subjective factor... whether it's in relation to thinking or feeling. And Extroversion is always about the objective factor, again whether it's in relation to feeling or thinking. The associations of the terms you perceived do not exist in a psychological context. They're semantic.

I personally prefer the Socionic conventions of "Ethical" and "Logical" types. Except that those dichotomies don't cover exactly what the MBTI ones do.

I think the best course is to read official documentation/descriptions of the terms, and not rely on common definitions. None are sufficient.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I think the best course is to read official documentation/descriptions of the terms, and not rely on common definitions. None are sufficient.

MBTI
    ENFP

This is good. Detailed analysis. But its more in depth and detailed than I had thought....and my brain cant process it at the moment...so maybe i will post later, not sure.

But good stuff.

MBTI
    TiSe

I have a problem with the words "FEELING" and "THINKING" being used in the MBTI or other systems.

- someone with a FEELING (F) preference is all warm, fuzzy and emotional with NO intellect or logic.
    - someone with a THINKING (T) preference is all about logic and no emotion or feelings, making them out to be cold, harsh, robotic etc.

What say you??
    Jung used a number of words that are counter to connotations used and understood. The biggest is extraversion and introversion, which gives no consideration to anything, but how you prefer to energize yourself and has no credence on being gregarious or sociable.

To respond to your inquiry, I always find it amusing that the first thing people want to do is change the system when they have failed to understand it as is. There is nothing wrong with the system, it's the readers. Basic principle of the system: all functions are cognitive and does not take emotions into consideration. T/F are both rational functions and S/N are irrational functions. Understand that, then you will find no reason to need to change it.

What say you??
    As Kiddo alluded to, even your proposed changes are erroneous since Jung says that introverts are subjective and extraverts are objective, regardless of the function being used. Ergo Fe is objective and rational, and Ni subjective and irrational. Fe is as equally rational as Ti, however the attitude (E/I) makes it objective and Ti subjective.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Butterfly, I would agree with this.
    I haven't been into MBTI that long but at first I thought I was a T because I could make decisions logically and had no problem with doing so.

However, I realized that when making decisions I naturally think about how my decision will affect other people and try to work all of that in, because I always have others on my mind and that makes me an F.

I am personally a bigger fan of Keirsey's theories than Meyers'. I think Meyers got a good start but Keirsey perfected MBTI by tying it with other personality theories of the past.

MBTI
    TiSe

I think there is a misunderstanding of use of the words subjective/objective as they pertain to the system. Keep in mind that objective simply means that decisions being made or information taken in is based on objectivity (outside of the self) as opposed to subjectivity (from within and from an introverted point of view). Myers-Briggs takes this into account in stating that introverts are egocentric, not in a negative way, but because they are always concerned how outside forces will affect their decisions, whereas extraverts are always concerned how their decisions will affect others.

What you describe Mondo, is clearly the preference to feeling than thinking, however preferring Ne is what makes you objective in taking something outside of of yourself into consideration. In the end introverts are subjective and extraverts objective. Jung goes on to say that the those preferring Ti believe themselves to be objective, however Ti usually manipulates information to fit into the subjects on way of seeing things and not for it's own sake.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

What say you??

I dont get it. Does saying someone has a Thinking preferrence mean that Thinking is the only function they have?

If we say Objective decision making, by that token we'd also have to imply that they are all about objective decision making.

Why not instead say that a Thinking preferrence implies simply putting more weight on Thinking than on Feeling, yet not all on one and none on the other.
    Last edited by SolitaryWalker; 03-24-2008 at 06:34 AM.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Why not instead say that a Thinking preference implies simply putting more weight on Thinking than on Feeling, yet not all on one and none on the other.
    That works if you're able to see the functions as a spectrum from one extreme to the other, infer from the descriptions of the extremes what the parts closer to the center are like, and then manage to find where you are on that spectrum. But that takes a lot of work, and doesn't yield a precise or easily describable answer.

Also, the words "thinking" and "feeling" have definitions that have nothing to do with the cognitive processes they are related to. These definitions confuse people because their minds usually aren't capable of creating good boundaries between different contexts and applying a particular meaning to words locally rather than globally.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That works if you're able to see the functions as a spectrum from one extreme to the other, infer from the descriptions of the extremes what the parts closer to the center are like, and then manage to find where you are on that spectrum. But that takes a lot of work, and doesn't yield a precise or easily describable answer.
    "Too complex?"

Also, the words "thinking" and "feeling" have definitions that have nothing to do with the cognitive processes they are related to. These definitions confuse people because their minds usually aren't capable of creating good boundaries between different contexts and applying a particular meaning to words locally rather than globally.

There is probably no way to get the message through to people like that.