User Tag List

First 123412 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh boy.
    I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to sum-up complex concepts in single words, and let me tell you, trying to get the perfect connotation is practically hopeless. It's very unlikely that you can build a concept that requires a couple of paragraphs to explain and find a word that already exists for it.

Not only that, but words change over time, especially in terms of connotation. Jung came up with this stuff many decades ago.

There's really no option but to create your own definition. For people such as yourself, the main thing you have to do is clear your mind of the previous connotations. This is a whole new definition for thinking and feeling, which is specific to this field. The plenty of words that have field specific definitions, you know?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Feeling? Intuitive valuation.
    Thinking? Step-by-step.
    Not really.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Feeling? Intuitive valuation.
    Thinking? Step-by-step.
    No. Never ever use the same word to label two different values or variables.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    No. Never ever use the same word to label two different values or variables.
    Wasn't it yourself who said:
    There's really no option but to create your own definition. For people such as yourself, the main thing you have to do is clear your mind of the previous connotations.
    Not really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I agree with Magic in this case: Yes, certainly, clear your mind of previous connotations...

...but you cannot use the name of one of the other seven functions to describe the eighth function. That is a recipe for confusion/disaster.

(My tech-writer teeth are getting bared on this one, sorry.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, I agree with Magic in this case: Yes, certainly, clear your mind of previous connotations...

...but you cannot use the name of one of the other seven functions to describe the eighth function. That is a recipe for confusion/disaster.

(My tech-writer teeth are getting bared on this one, sorry.)
    Do you really think that Sensing is Sensing and Intuition is Intuition, Jennifer?
    Not really.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Holistic perspective
    Linear perspective (or analytical)

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Do you really think that Sensing is Sensing and Intuition is Intuition, Jennifer?
    It doesn't matter what the functions are precisely called, just don't repeat the labels, because that defeats the point of labels.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It doesn't matter what the functions are precisely called, just don't repeat the labels, because that defeats the point of labels.
    Or we can change the labels. I see no reason why "Intuitive"/"Intuition" can't be called "Abstract"/"Abstraction" when viewed in the context of MBTI. There's no point in slaving ourselves to such labels, either.
    For example, I believe Seanan's descriptions have similar meanings to mine, though the word choice is different -- and probably more to your liking.
    Not really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's rather irrelevant to this particular point, since my comment simply means you can't call something "Intuition" if you're going to use the term elsewhere.

If you'd like to change "Intuition" to something else (so they are all still different), go for it.

But to answer the question -- intuition is a broad word that has been selectively narrowed for the MBTI terminology. One could say that sensors have "intuition" based on their experience of the tangible world: They can recognize tangible patterns in what is happening around them, then make the "leap."

Still, the big difference I guess is that this is still more like "experience" than "abstracted intuition." They have seen it work before, so they recognize when things have lined up once more and will probably lead to the same outcome. The closer the details are from situation to situation, the more likely they'll make the leap; the less similar the inconsequential details are, the less likely they'll make the leap.

Intuitives right now as defined in MBTI are able to take patterns they have experienced in one domain and apply them loosely to OTHER areas appropriately. The situation does not have to be the same, and it could even be another completely different field, with different cosmetic details, but they recognize the broad pattern and make an intuitive leap between things that tangibly don't look much the same at all.

EDIT: Abstraction is definitely one way to sum up "Intuition." I'd have trouble thinking of a better word right now. The sensors could be the Tangibles. They want to get their hands on their things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft