User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 169

  1. #121
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    The answer to this question is as follows; Feeling is a conscious assessment of emotion. Because it is focused on emotion, it attracts the passions to the psyche and therefore renders all of it higher on emotional content.
    That seems to make sense.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #122
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    So you disagree with what L.Haas & M.Hunziker write in their book about Feeling not being any more emotional than thinking types?
    As I have stated in response to Orangey, Feeling in itself is a decision making faculty which isn't emotional, but it leads to a higher emotionality in the psyche because it focuses on emotion as such a decision making faculty is primarily concerned with assessment of the passions.

    Feeling is analogous to emotion as a magnet to a metal.(This description excludes the mechanism of assessment of emotion implicit within the faculty of Feeling. The magnet-metal analogy also depicts the relationship between Intuition and imagination, Sensation and what could be sensed, Thinking and what could be analyzed from an impersonal angle.)
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  3. #123
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    The answer to this question is as follows; Feeling is a conscious assessment of emotion. Because it is focused on emotion, it attracts the passions to the psyche and therefore renders all of it higher on emotional content.
    I am perfectly able to focus on the emotions of others without becoming emotional. I've seen Thinking types, on the other hand, get extremely emotional while upholding the logic of their arguments.

    In a recent workshop leading a T/F exercise where T/F groups grappled with an ethical dilemma, the Feeling types expressed admiration of the Thinking ability to outline their argument for their preferred path for going forward, the Thinking types expressed their admiration of the Feeling ability to identify all parties concerned and the needs they probably had in the situation. Emotions were not part of the equation. I use this as an example of what I am talking about, not as a "If it's true for these groups it's true for all" use of story...
    edcoaching

  4. #124
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    I am perfectly able to focus on the emotions of others without becoming emotional. I've seen Thinking types, on the other hand, get extremely emotional while upholding the logic of their arguments.

    In a recent workshop leading a T/F exercise where T/F groups grappled with an ethical dilemma, the Feeling types expressed admiration of the Thinking ability to outline their argument for their preferred path for going forward, the Thinking types expressed their admiration of the Feeling ability to identify all parties concerned and the needs they probably had in the situation. Emotions were not part of the equation. I use this as an example of what I am talking about, not as a "If it's true for these groups it's true for all" use of story...
    What governs the impulse to identify and care for the needs of others, if not emotion?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  5. #125
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    What governs the impulse to identify and care for the needs of others, if not emotion?
    The rational process of understanding that things go more smoothly when others' needs are met. One doesn't have to have an emotional reaction to want to help, although compassion/pity/etc can be motivating. Thinking types might make the same decision out of the principle of altruism rather than compassion...
    edcoaching

  6. #126
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    The rational process of understanding that things go more smoothly when others' needs are met. One doesn't have to have an emotional reaction to want to help, although compassion/pity/etc can be motivating. Thinking types might make the same decision out of the principle of altruism rather than compassion...
    the bolded part is by definition thinking, not feeling.

    feeling might say, when asked the question "how do you feel about others' needs?", "good". but it takes thinking to rationally assess options of action.

  7. #127
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    the bolded part is by definition thinking, not feeling.

    feeling might say, when asked the question "how do you feel about others' needs?", "good". but it takes thinking to rationally assess options of action.
    Both Thinking and Feeling are rational processes, but it's usually difficult for Thinking types to imagine rationality without logic. Logic can really lead to unwise, even irrational conclusions, especially when people are involved since people don't always act according to logic, to say the least.

    Feeling types just use different criteria to work through their rational assessment. Thinking types can feel; Feeling types can think.
    edcoaching

  8. #128
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    you may have misinterpreted my point. of course feelers think and thinkers feel. everyone thinks AND feels all the time.

    feeling is as logical as thinking -- they're both deductive processes. but feeling uses different ideas as premises, therefore produces different output than thinking.

    rationally deciding if you should factor in someone else's feelings is a question that thinking would answer, not feeling.

    rationally deciding if someone else's feelings are good is a question that feeling would answer.

  9. #129
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    rationally deciding if you should factor in someone else's feelings is a question that thinking would answer, not feeling.

    rationally deciding if someone else's feelings are good is a question that feeling would answer.
    I think there's two different considerations:
    • The Feeling function doesn't rely on emotions for decisions. See below
    • If you're constantly stepping into the shoes of others you might more quickly empathetically react to what they are feeing, resulting in an emotional response
    • That's different than making emotional decisions. Both T's and F's can make emotional decisions if they don't use the strengths of their function.


    Feeling types don't rationally decide IF they should factor in others' _____[it's way more than their feelings]; that's a given to Feeling types. They rationally use how others would feel/react/buy in and then use that data to inform their decisions. It isn't just about values judgments on the good/bad of others' feelings; it's about reading a room, factoring in the importance of harmony or whether the reactions of others might derail an otherwise logical premise. Deciding the relative worth of different alternatives doesn't have to be emotional. Mature Feeling types keep their emotions in check even as they step into the shoes of others to weigh courses of action...
    edcoaching

  10. #130
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    feeling is as logical as thinking -- they're both deductive processes. but feeling uses different ideas as premises, therefore produces different output than thinking.
    Oh, and the Feeling function doesn't rely on logic; it uses other rational processes to discover where logic won't lead to rational conclusions. Our Western cultural bias tends to get us believing that logic always trumps but it isn't so.
    edcoaching

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Quote Thread: Express your feelings or thoughts with a quote
    By Sparrow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 12:20 AM
  2. Feeling Good and Critical Thinking
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 10:04 PM
  3. [JCF] Is "Feeling" as RATIONAL as "Thinking"?
    By Wonkavision in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
  4. [ISTJ] ISTJs (or all SJs) What do you think of these quotes?
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO