User Tag List

123 Last

All Natural! All Good!

Default Ne, then Si OR Si, then Ne

How do you tell which order you use them in?
    I.e. which one is more preferred, 'stronger', influences your thoughts more, etc. Is Ne subservient to Si, or v/v.

Is it something like: when you are exposed to something new, does it remind you of a past experience (Si), or does it occur to you that it fits a pattern (Ne)?

When something 'reminds' you of a past experience (Si, as above)... can that include seeing how the present thing is analogous to the past thing?
    (Is that considered 'reminding' (Si), or is it something else (not Si)?)

For example, I was just reading someone's post about how they make decisions, and it 'reminded' me instantly of graphs used to represent relative volatility of components in mixtures (or just 'some random chemistry thing' to most of you lols). I hesitate to use the word 'reminded' in this case, because the 'concept' represented by that image is ever-present for me (not temporally distant/removed). It's not anchored in the past, so I wouldn't call it a past experience.
    ...I'm supposed to be SeNi (ISFP), but I can't find Ni in myself... unless Ni is responsible for the 'reminding' described in the chemistry example. And even that seems SiNi and not SeNi.

Any input on how to determine whether one's Si or one's Ne is more preferred, is much appreciated. (I don't think I'm an Si or Ne type necessarily, I'm just curious.)

In general, I am looking for thoughts on anything I said above! (And other things, if you're so inclined, lol)

If possible, I would also like to hear from Si people as to what it 'feels like' when a present experience reminds them of a past one.

Any/all input is appreciated from anyone!
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

by looking if strongest J function is oriented extraverted or introverted. stronger Je means that P = I(in this case Si) and stronger Ji means that P = E(in this case Ne).

you know those functions come more to conscious when you grow up and if you were born 89(like your nick suggests) its totally possible that you havent developed much tert function yet. also since Ni works pretty unconsciously(does the processing in unconscious, but when its processed the thing just pops into conscious), so it might be just hard to identify it in yourself. Ni is when you just understand some big picture out of the blue, like eureka! like you just understand something, even if you would be unable to explain it properly. when its in tert position, it might be about negative things quite often.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    by looking if strongest J function is oriented extraverted or introverted. stronger Je means that P = I(in this case Si) and stronger Ji means that P = E(in this case Ne).
    This is true.

you know those functions come more to conscious when you grow up and if you were born 89(like your nick suggests) its totally possible that you havent developed much tert function yet. also since Ni works pretty unconsciously(does the processing in unconscious, but when its processed the thing just pops into conscious), so it might be just hard to identify it in yourself. Ni is when you just understand some big picture out of the blue, like eureka! like you just understand something, even if you would be unable to explain it properly. when its in tert position, it might be about negative things quite often.
    I was born in 90 (89 in my username is meaningless). I never really come to understand things out of the blue. I can usually explain why I understand something. Strangely, I relate more to Ne than Ni.
    So eat it, you should.

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Se + Ni can look like Ne at times, but i dont think its Ne you are using, imo its just Ni putting things together that you gather with Se
    — C.G. Jung

Read

All Natural! All Good!

Se + Ni can look like Ne at times, but i dont think its Ne you are using, imo its just Ni putting things together that you gather with Se
    Ok then. So now you're saying I do have Ni?
    So eat it, you should.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    Ok then. So now you're saying I do have Ni?
    ISFP = Fi Se Ni Te
    — C.G. Jung

Read

All Natural! All Good!

ISFP = Fi Se Ni Te
    ORLY?

I was responding to when you said I hadn't developed my tert function yet. Before backpedaling and saying, oh now you do use Ni.

Also, I am guessing you only read the first few lines of the OP.
    So eat it, you should.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i'm not great at understanding the S functions, but i can explain Ne and maybe some Ni a little bit

my Ne links with Si, but i know it's Ne-driven because it's abstract connection that fuels the process, as opposed to concrete information assessment. give me a term - "apple" and it conjures: image of ripe red apples dangling in orchard trees in the sun with blue sky and rolling light green hills and the smell of caramel in the air, reminds me of a song i love that makes me a little sad, reminds me of someone i've loved, that someone reminds me of how i've been wanting to go to the beach, the beach makes me think salty air, salty air to this perfume i have, perfume to where i was sitting at the counter today playing with a bottle of perfume talking to my dad and mom, dad and mom link to home, home links to moss, moss links to periwinkles, periwinkles link to my walk to school... and so on forever and ever.

i know it's more Ne than Si because the Si bits come in "flashes" - they're not well-defined in terms of what actually was there, but the "important" things - the feeling, the meaning of the situation - stands out. and the connections. Ne feels like link-link-link-link-link-link-link. many of those things involve Si elements, but past-present comparison is not occurring so much as simple memory linking. (i think it's super important to emphasize that memory and Si are two really different things - most functions do require memory. Si is about distinguishing concrete differences between two situations - most often applied to past and present, and therefore associated with memory.)

whereas Ni, assuming i understand it correctly, is more like distillation - a Se observation in the present "plugs" into an overall hypothesis of how the world works. for example, you observe that a tree is bearing apples. that plugs into the concept of life-new life. so then you can take that elsewhere and apply it to other things: for example, a human woman will have a baby. life-new life. you can expect that other plants will bear new life too. so i think that's sort of how Ni "foretelling" works - because Ni users trace observations back to general patterns that are universally applicable. then they just apply them in places where the pattern hasn't run to completion yet, but they can see the end already because they know the end pattern.

i tend to think of Ni as trying to find the one pattern that explains everything by boiling everything down as much as possible. whereas Ne tries to find the one pattern that explains everything by linking everything as much as possible.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In regards to the question, it's fairly simple to determine if your Ne or Si is stronger, because if you have stronger Ne you will have more of a strength in things which require "breadth" (i.e. tying together different subjects or being a "jack of all trades") and if you have stronger Si you will have more of a strength in things which require "depth" and detail (i.e. being extremely knowledgable down to the last little seemingly petty thing about a favorite subject, being an "expert" in a very particular field...or being an obsessive collector of a very particular thing, et al).

If you reflect upon your youth (even easier if you're still quite young...say late teens to early twenties) because one or the other will also be the root of your anxieties if it's a weaker function.

People with Si anxieties (while still very young) will have fears of getting stuck somewhere or in some way, and exaggerate the negatives of being surrounded by "conventional" people...yet as their Si develops, as they grow a bit older, they may come to appreciate their Si, and it can even show up in the form of giving them fears about health or safety.

People with Ne anxieties (while still very young) will be very hesitant to trust anything new, different, or strange, and may be quite upset by people who embrace those things with or without discretion. Yet as these people grow older, they can start seeing expanding possibilities as a positive thing, and ironically their anxieties about health and safety can look similar to the person with stronger Ne.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    ORLY?

I was responding to when you said I hadn't developed my tert function yet. Before backpedaling and saying, oh now you do use Ni.

Also, I am guessing you only read the first few lines of the OP.
    you still have Ni, even if its not well developed yet.. its the same as you had Se when you were 4, even tho you havent developed it much yet
    — C.G. Jung

Read