User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTp

Default Smiling in Pictures and MBTI Type

I've noticed a lot of INT*s don't smile in pictures. What's your type and do you smile or not smile and why?

I'm an INTP and I never smiled until I had my son. Since he was born at such a contentious time in my life I never wanted him to look back at pictures and think I was unhappy he was born. The habit stuck.
    Last edited by thirtyfour; 05-10-2007 at 01:56 AM. Reason: typo

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This ain't fluff. Moved.

I smile in pics. Why not?

MBTI
    INTP

Only if its sincere, I cant fake smile.
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

I've been told many times that I look really mean and/or overly intense if I don't smile. Generally, I don't really give a shit and walk around with whatever look I happen to have on my face. However in pictures, I take the two seconds required to slap a smile on just to look a bit less thuggish.
    INTP

MBTI
    INTP

I've tried smiling in self portraits for forums and facebook. They always appear fake and get tossed into the recycle bin. I've tried reliving funny moments to elicit a smile from myself but I get the same result. I look too intense without the smile but at lease it does look like me.

On a tangent. My camera has taken five thousand pictures (a guess) I have about ten of myself. I wouldn't say I like having my picture taken but I don't avoid them either.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyfour View Post
    I've noticed a lot of INT*s don't smile in pictures. What's your type and do you smile or not smile and why?

I'm an INTP and I never smiled until I had my son. Since he was born at such a contentious time in my life I never wanted him to look back at pictures and think I was unhappy he was born. The habit stuck.

Im an ENFJ and unless someone catches a candid shot of me I don't even like being in pictures. I don't like forced smiles and when someone is taking a picture of me I feel forced to smile. Hate it. I'm always the one volunteering to take the picture. I'm much more comfortable behind the lens than in front of it. I'm generally hiding in the pictures I am in.

I think btw that it's really kind of you to think ahead in terms of your son looking back at pictures of you at this time. It's hard to smile when you're not feeling it from the inside but for you to consider how he might feel or what he might think about your facial expressions...that's really fantastic. I hope perhaps just your son's being here will turn this time in your life towards the positive.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

MBTI
    INXP

I tend to give a Mona lisa smile, if any, because when I was a kid I had buck-teeth, and when I was not a kid I had braces. And then I managed to have somewhat bad teeth. Now that they're (nearly) fixed, I may get more into the habit.

Another factor is I am extremely child-like, especially when I look or act happy, I feel to a degree unattractive in someone my age, and certainly not to my benefit. Few people take me seriously at all unless I project a kind of coldness-- and that means they do not trust me with their money or responsibilties I am more than qualified and prepared to handle.

Even so, a more cool demeanor ups age estimates from fifteen to an aged seventeen years old. Wonderful.
    Let's do this thing.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I was trained to smile on command, and specifically for the camera. In college I actually practiced smiling when there was no reason to, because I got so many comments about how I didn't seem friendly or approachable.

Latest age estimates are mid-to-late 30s, and people tend to be very shocked that I'm as young as I am.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I always smile for pics, unless I see someone's trying to do a candid shot. You can tell really easily in pictures whether my smile is real (when I'm with friends) or forced (with family) though, even though I'm good at faking smiles in real life.
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I figured this one out from way back... cameras and I do not go well together. I tried smiling for photos, it never works. In fact the picture will probably end up looking better if I don't smile, but people insist I "smile"... and I ended up ruining group photos. So nowadays I run away from cameras whenever possible, or be on the other end of things and get take shots.