User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 34

  1. #1
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default People who are sure of S/N or T/F

    I have a theory... well it's not really my theory, as I'm sure others have thought of this before. It might even be common sense anyway... or it could be utter nonsense. I don't know, but I'd like your opinions.

    It seems to me, that if...

    someone is sure that they are an N, but unsure of T vs. F, they must either be Ni-dom or Ne-dom.
    someone is sure that they are an S, but unsure of T vs. F, they must either be Si-dom or Se-dom.
    someone is sure that they are an T, but unsure of S vs. N, they must either be Ti-dom or Te-dom.
    someone is sure that they are an F, but unsure of S vs. N, they must either be Fi-dom or Fe-dom.

    Which means that, for example, if someone is absolutely positive they are a thinker, but they can't decide whether or not they are INTJ or ISTJ, they are actually neither. This theory states that they must be either TiXe or TeXi. They cannot be INTJ or ISTJ because the dominant functions are Ni and Si. How can one be more sure of their auxiliary function than their dominant function?

  2. #2
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    I've had a "weaker" version of this thought, too--that if someone's more sure that they're an N than they are that they're an F, then they're probably intuition-dominant. There are certainly arguments against it, though.

    Once I read into the theory, all of the types that I'd seriously considered for myself for any length of time have been intuition-dominant, and part of that was because of this line of reasoning.

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Yeah, I think it's why - pending on what test I take - I've gotten ENFP...but also ENTP ()...yet that still makes sense because I'm an Ne dom, and I am aware of my Te usage which really could sway my T/F...same for other strange tests which said things like "you're either INFJ or INTJ" (even more ) ...but then again, the only thing I've ever been 100% sure of is that I'm a Feeler, ironically enough, because I'm around 30 years of age and when I was much younger I was such a Feeler that the idea of me being a Thinker is just HAHAHAHAHAH.

    Function theory really makes it all much more clear. I am an Ne dom. I have Fi. I score T or J sometimes because of my relatively strong leaning on my tertiary Te.

    Function theory makes everything all better. It makes the most sense to just read Jung, have discussions with others, perhaps compare this with other test results...and then you have a clear picture. I am Ne/Fi/Te/Si.

  4. #4
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah, I think it's why - pending on what test I take - I've gotten ENFP...but also ENTP ()...yet that still makes sense because I'm an Ne dom, and I am aware of my Te usage which really could sway my T/F...same for other strange tests which said things like "you're either INFJ or INTJ" (even more ) ...but then again, the only thing I've ever been 100% sure of is that I'm a Feeler, ironically enough, because I'm around 30 years of age and when I was much younger I was such a Feeler that the idea of me being a Thinker is just HAHAHAHAHAH.

    Function theory really makes it all much more clear. I am an Ne dom. I have Fi. I score T or J sometimes because of my relatively strong leaning on my tertiary Te.

    Function theory makes everything all better. It makes the most sense to just read Jung, have discussions with others, perhaps compare this with other test results...and then you have a clear picture. I am Ne/Fi/Te/Si.
    Wait wut? Doesn't this line contradict your post?

  5. #5
    Member raminda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    55

    Default

    I have always been fairly sure I'm both T and N, but of these T is the one that has been questioned by others. Does that have any bearing in your theory?

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Wait wut? Doesn't this line contradict your post?
    The only thing I've ever been 100% sure of is being a Feeler, but on personality tests I have scored T sometimes, ENTP on at least three occasions. This is because of my Te development. I am not an NT, I am an NF. This much I know, I don't care what tests say, because quite frankly - as I have already emphasized - reading Jung and discussing personality theory with others is the only way.

    I've been around 98% sure of being an N - fairly consistently, and I'm 110% sure now - but I did consider being ISFP for a minute while I was studying function theory, before I grasped it fully.

  7. #7
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raminda View Post
    I have always been fairly sure I'm both T and N, but of these T is the one that has been questioned by others. Does that have any bearing in your theory?
    No, not really. People on the internet can't possibly know the real you. Do you feel that you S/N divide is much greater than your T/F divide? Vice versa? Is it relatively the same?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    806

    Default

    I'm not sure of anything, to be honest.

    Except maybe Pi and introversion.

  9. #9
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    The only thing I've ever been 100% sure of is being a Feeler, but on personality tests I have scored T sometimes, ENTP on at least three occasions. This is because of my Te development. I am not an NT, I am an NF. This much I know, I don't care what tests say, because quite frankly - as I have already emphasized - reading Jung and discussing personality theory with others is the only way.

    I've been around 98% sure of being an N - fairly consistently, and I'm 110% sure now - but I did consider being ISFP for a minute while I was studying function theory, before I grasped it fully.
    See, you're confusing with me. At first I thought you agreed with me... but if you say you've always been positive you are a feeler, yet you are an ENFP, it doesn't fit in with the theory. If you're using the theory in the OP, you should really be deciding between INFP and ENFJ. Meh...

    *edit* Although your test results seem to be more in line with the theory. If you are, in fact, Ne-dominant, then your T/F dichotomy can be fuzzy at times.

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    No, not really. People on the internet can't possibly know the real you. Do you feel that you S/N divide is much greater than your T/F divide? Vice versa? Is it relatively the same?
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I will try to make it more clear for you. I think your theory probably isn't valid, but could work in some instances. This is because of function theory. The simple S/N and T/F is not enough to determine type. "Being sure you're an N" doesn't mean you actually are...BlackCat, for instance, was INFP for a significant amount of time, until he began to really grasp function theory, and realized he was an ISFP instead...he has Se/Ni, not Ne/Si.

    I have Ne/Si...however, what has been consistently very clear to me is that I have the Fi/Te combination...I had to determine the actual difference between Ni/Ne and Si/Se to realize that there is no way I'm making the same mistake BlackCat did (because some ISFPs use a whole lot of Ni, which makes them think they're Ns sometimes).

    I am an Ne dom. It actually can be very difficult for someone to "see" their dominant function because it is literally the lens through which you see the world.

    That is why your theory could possibly fail in some instances.

    So, in summary, I was pretty much thinking as I wrote - seeing how your theory could apply in some cases, but not in others.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] People who are smarter than you
    By animenagai in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 11:03 PM
  2. [MBTItm] SFPs, how do you help people who are depressed?
    By KLessard in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 10:33 AM
  3. [Se] I'm jealous of people who are good at extroverted sensing
    By whimsical in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
  4. [ENFP] Why am I nice to people who are not nice to me?
    By alcea rosea in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO