• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What cognitive function makes you happiest and why?

A

A window to the soul

My least favorite is Ni. That one really plays the archetypical nemesis role. This is a good thing, of course, because Ni warns me not to take up too much of those crazy Ne projects, which really helps to finish some of them. But it doesn't make me "happy".
Are you talking about Ni usage as in 'shadow function'? If not, then I'm confused. Doesn't Si anchor Ne?

Ne is my most optimistic, happy-go-lucky one, but sometimes a source of frustration too. I want to finish my current novel project, not start a new one... But then there's Ti discarding the nonsensical ideas and providing Ne the challenge to come up with very specific ones. I'm super happy if things fit together.
I echo those sentiments.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My leading one, in conjunction with my aux one, I find it odd that others would feel differently and say something other than their primary function.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Ne of course is heaps of fun. Se must be the 2nd. When you're really really tired, you just want to listen to some music and live in the moment.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any function can make me happy or not depending on how its used. I guess I'd rank them as follows, with happiest first.

Ne: If I had to pick one function that makes me the most happy overall, this would be it. Ne allows me to make interesting connections between things and thinks of new possibilities. Much of my sense of humor and childlike enthusiasm stems from this function.

Se: I don't really use it that much and its one of my weakest functions but when I allow myself to fully live in the moment and completely immerse myself in my senses, I think to myself, "why don't I do this more often?" I think I feel kind of guilty about just indulging in Se. I usually let other functions override it. I should think more logically. I should think more about the future, etc.

Ti: I really enjoy playing with logical systems in my head and analyzing how it all fits into a whole. I love finding out the why behind things. I guess I rank Ne as making me happier because I think as a Ti dominant, I tend to just take it for granted.

Si: I enjoy this function for the nostalgic effect and reminscing about the past. I enjoy the sensory impressions it sometimes creates. On the downside, my Si can recapture unpleasant past memories and sensations I'd rather just forget.

Te: On the plus side, I feel really good when I've effectively utilized Te to accomplish tasks efficiently and effectively. On the downside, Te seems awfully dry to me at times. It's too mechanical, too procedural.

Ni: I enjoy Ni for the insights it creates and the ability to see multiple perspectives on the same thing. On the other hand, my Ni has a dark side to it, imagining worst case scenarios and I think the source of some of my existential angst comes from here.

Fe: This is a troublesome function for me that causes me undue anxiety at times, especially in the social arena. When in the grip of Fe, I get powerful emotions that are hard to control and hypersensitive about others' feelings towards me. I guess it makes me happy in the sense of having good harmonious relations with others.

Fi: This is probably my most troublesome function aside from Fe and I wouldn't exactly consider it my happy place (is this a common attitude to have towards one's demonic function? For INTPs that is Fi) When I'm really down and depressed about something, that's when my Fi goes into overdrive. On the other hand Fi is good for realizing the times when I should have listened to my heart and to not ignore what I feel deep down. Sometimes Fi is confusing, when values conflict with each other or when doing the 'right thing' seems to conflict with what you personally value.

Welcome to my whole world.

Ne of course is heaps of fun. Se must be the 2nd. When you're really really tired, you just want to listen to some music and live in the moment.

Someone made a thread once about S's turning N when they are tired, and N's turning S when they're tired. I always thought it was an interesting concept. For me when I'm tired I get rather spacey/ daydreamey...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welcome to my whole world.

Someone made a thread once about S's turning N when they are tired, and N's turning S when they're tired. I always thought it was an interesting concept. For me when I'm tired I get rather spacey/ daydreamey...

interesting. it would explain why I turn into a mini ISTJ 5 minutes before bed.
- do I have enough pillows?
- is my alarm set correctly?
- is my room locked?
- is my phone off?
- is there anything that could possibly disturb me?
- that mess is bothering me, better take care of it before I go to sleep
I can't sleep until everything is perfect. it's weird and it only happens right before bed

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's interesting that most of you non NPs say Ne is one of your favorite functions, but it most of the time I see Ne being used in real life, people tend to ridicule it subtly or make fun of it.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
Ne and Se make me feel tingly inside.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ti I suppose. Or maybe a combination of all my active cognitive functions. Ne is pretty awesome too.

Fe is a bit of a party pooper sometimes.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My leading one, in conjunction with my aux one, I find it odd that others would feel differently and say something other than their primary function.

I think perceiving functions are the most pure fun though, especially the extroverted ones - even if Ti can be satisfying it's not really on the same level.

It would get exhausting to have to Se/Ne too often, though.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I love feeling that the world is a beautiful place, and I have recently come to a deep than mental understanding of it.

Is that Ni, Fi, Se?

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I love feeling that the world is a beautiful place, and I have recently come to a deep than mental understanding of it.

Is that Ni, Fi, Se?

A combination of Ni and Se.

For me...Ni's a mixed bag. Gives me a big picture view of the world, which at the same time gives me a bad sense of me being insignificant.
I much prefer Te and Se. Keeps me connected to the world.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Ti is my hero. It gives confidence and comfort. Even if Ne/Fe do not produce spectacular results (wealth, fame, security), I trust Ti to provide some understanding of the circumstances in which I find myself. If I understand then I can persevere.

Random Ness

shortnsweet said:

You turn into your opposite type, not just s-to-n or n-to-s.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Si. I love detail and safety. I always feel like I'm in a fortress when I'm reveling in my Si :workout:

Oh, and I'm ISFJ

cfs1992

Ne, for sure. I am happiest when I can be spontaneous or procrastinate and just go with the flow and follow my ideas, or explore my world, or live in imaginary land (either of my own making, or by watching movies or reading fiction). I also love to analyze topics of my own choosing (less so for structured things like school or work assignments, though, because deadlines and structure smack of Te/Si) and play with theories about things I'm genuinely interested in.

I also like to tell stories, which apparently is a form of Ne mixing fantasy with the reality of the present moment or something.

Speaking of procrastination and work assignments, I really better stop posting...

+1

Random Ness

Perceiving functions are more "fun" to most people on this thread...it sounds like most people don't think judging functions are "fun".

Well, for me, my Fe/Ti tells my Ni/Se what will be most fun for me. If my Fe/Ti weren't also active, then I'd get all sorts of shit from my Ni/Se and not have any fun at all.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Perceiving functions are more "fun" to most people on this thread...it sounds like most people don't think judging functions are "fun".

Well, for me, my Fe/Ti tells my Ni/Se what will be most fun for me. If my Fe/Ti weren't also active, then I'd get all sorts of shit from my Ni/Se and not have any fun at all.

I actually think it may just be that more P's posted here than J's.

Although most people here seem to like their extraverted function more.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually think it may just be that more P's posted here than J's.

Although most people here seem to like their extraverted function more.

Yea, extroversion seems more comfortable overall.. Introverted functions remind me of being serious and lame and tired and uptight. (I'm not accusing introverts/ people with introverted functions of being this way, it's just a feeling that comes about in myself when I think of introversion within myself.)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Yea, extroversion seems more comfortable overall. Introverted functions remind me of being serious and lame and tired and uptight. (I'm not accusing introverts/ people with introverted functions of being this way, it's just a feeling that comes about in myself when I think of introversion within myself.)
Well duh you're going to feel that way if you're an ESFP. :laugh: