• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tertiary Function Usage

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Do you think this behavior is being arbitrarily pinned to "Ni" without justification?

Can the root of this behavior really be pinned to anything? Or is it more of a combination, an anomaly, that can't be analyzed with personality theories?
I don't think the behavior is arbitrarily pinned to Ni, I'm just question whether you would obtain such an extreme reaction from an ISP.

The Ni function is known to be paranoia inducing. INFJs have auxillary Fe... There are somethings I would defend/become judgmental about based on my principles... which seems completely irrational to people. And if you ask me to back it up with reasons I can't.

My problem with her take of tertiary function (and that of most MBTI theorists) is their very stagnant view of function use in types. That people develop and can effectively use their dominant and auxillary and that's it. Why is it that tertiary and shadow functions are negated to the role of problematic functions and nothing else? In my experiences, people do eventually develop their tertiary function. So for a balanced ISP, they should have sufficient control of their tertiary that this kind of behavior is minimized.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
The Ni function is known to be paranoia inducing.
Wouldn't that be true of both N functions? The N functions both see the "invisible" patterns, so I would imagine they would both be susceptible to going haywire and seeing patterns where there actually are none. No?

There are somethings I would defend/become judgmental about based on my principles... which seems completely irrational to people. And if you ask me to back it up with reasons I can't.
Yep :yes: But honestly, who cares about such little details as "reasons" :dry: :D ?

My problem with her take of tertiary function (and that of most MBTI theorists) is their very stagnant view of function use in types. That people develop and can effectively use their dominant and auxillary and that's it. Why is it that tertiary and shadow functions are negated to the role of problematic functions and nothing else? In my experiences, people do eventually develop their tertiary function.
Personally, I can't even remember developing my Tertiary: Ti has always been strong in me (huh, where does that Star Wars talk come from??), ever since I was a little kid. I always came out with full marks on logic tests in elementary school, and it was so easy for me I couldn't understand why others had problems with it. If anything, I feel my Ti has been *weakening* lately :shock: Probably a result of my trying to develop my Se - not sure...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Personally, I can't even remember developing my Tertiary: Ti has always been strong in me (huh, where does that Star Wars talk come from??), ever since I was a little kid. I always came out with full marks on logic tests in elementary school, and it was so easy for me I couldn't understand why others had problems with it. If anything, I feel my Ti has been *weakening* lately :shock: Probably a result of my trying to develop my Se - not sure...

Uhhhh well maybe you've "developed" it when you're too young to remember. ;) Still, my point is that for most people... The tertiary function isn't some uncontrolled beast waiting to get out. We learn to use and appreciate it like the good tool that it is... not our best, but it serves us well. :yes:

Edit: *bites the blog entries info on the left* I don't like it! It's like a tail that I don't want!

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Still, my point is that for most people... The tertiary function isn't some uncontrolled beast waiting to get out. We learn to use and appreciate it like the good tool that it is... not our best, but it serves us well. :yes:
I totally agree with that. I don't understand where the idea that our Tertiary and Inferior functions are somehow not good for us comes from. They are *still* part of our primary functions. I mean, I believe that even our shadow functions can be good for us if we learn to "tame" them so to speak, so the Tertiary!? I see the Tertiary as the side-kick to the Dominant Hero (since it's the same attitude): not as developed, but definitely there to help.

Edit: *bites the blog entries info on the left* I don't like it! It's like a tail that I don't want!
* Makes notes: stick to thread-blog* :D

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think the behavior is arbitrarily pinned to Ni, I'm just question whether you would obtain such an extreme reaction from an ISP.

The Ni function is known to be paranoia inducing. INFJs have auxillary Fe... There are somethings I would defend/become judgmental about based on my principles... which seems completely irrational to people. And if you ask me to back it up with reasons I can't.

My problem with her take of tertiary function (and that of most MBTI theorists) is their very stagnant view of function use in types. That people develop and can effectively use their dominant and auxillary and that's it. Why is it that tertiary and shadow functions are negated to the role of problematic functions and nothing else? In my experiences, people do eventually develop their tertiary function. So for a balanced ISP, they should have sufficient control of their tertiary that this kind of behavior is minimized.
D'oh. :doh: I screwed up, thinking INFJs had Fi.
And yes, I think that you can get an extreme reaction from ISPs in certain situations. Meltdown/explode scenario. Oh, and I should mention that I suffered from extreme irrational paranoia for a while. Spies!

So then if INFJs have Fe, perhaps my idea about Ni + Fe causing this kind of behavior holds water. It doesn't have anything to do with the order of the functions, but rather how often / strongly we express them, and whether or not we are filtering them.

I totally agree with that. I don't understand where the idea that our Tertiary and Inferior functions are somehow not good for us comes from. They are *still* part of our primary functions. I mean, I believe that even our shadow functions can be good for us if we learn to "tame" them so to speak, so the Tertiary!? I see the Tertiary as the side-kick to the Dominant Hero (since it's the same attitude): not as developed, but definitely there to help.

* Makes notes: stick to thread-blog* :D

I know it's been useful knowing about my Fe inferior. It's like... this nebulous thing making me feel things, and stuff. :blush: I may not always have a good grip on it, but knowing where the feelings come from helps me deal with it when I get all Fe'd.