• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What can NFPs do that NTPs can't do better?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
She identifies three strategies and says everyone leads with one: When pressured in conflict, one tends to either disengage (Withdrawn), go on the offensive (Aggressive) or submit (Compliant). That's a three-fold typology in my book, and one that I find a useful supplement to MBTI.

well in books of real psychology, its not categorized as typology. my personality psychology professor talked about horneys stuff(including those neurotic coping strategies) on one lecture, so dont bother trying to argue(if you disagree, do some study about what typology means and look more into vocabulary of psychology). even if you find it as a useful supplement to MBTI, that doesent make it any more of an typology, they are coping styles.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread almost seems like the perfect place to unveil my "theory on how to live forever"! But not yet...

Also may I chime in and add that NFs are better at pudding?

Yes please, theory on how to live forever welcome, as is pudding.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
well in books of real psychology, its not categorized as typology. my personality psychology professor talked about horneys stuff(including those neurotic coping strategies) on one lecture, so dont bother trying to argue(if you disagree, do some study about what typology means and look more into vocabulary of psychology). even if you find it as a useful supplement to MBTI, that doesent make it any more of an typology, they are coping styles.

NFPs can point out that they're smarter/more well-read about a subject without looking like a complete prick in the process.

A

Anew Leaf

NFPs can point out that they're smarter/more well-read about a subject without looking like a complete prick in the process.

We can??? I need to master this ASAP before some jerk figures out I don't do this well.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

but NTPs are better at taking these type of comments without getting butt hurt :D. also NTPs are more efficient on pointing that kind of things out, and thats much needed skill when dealing with NTJs, because they would just most likely disagree with NFPs way of pointing that kind of stuff out, since it wont most likely include the information on why the NFPs opinion differs from the other persons opinion, in other words being too vague description of personal knowledge about the subject.

anyways, i would use bit different wording if i would talk with someone face to face, unless i knew the other person was an TJ of some sort

R

ReflecTcelfeR

if you're judging us based on Ti understanding, then no, but if on Fi understanding, we win. we understand the dark emotional corners of our inner selves, have you explored those in yourself? do you use your understanding and acceptance of your darkness to empathize with others in pain? can you look at another person and see yourself mirrored in them, and them mirrored in yourself? can you find someone who is hurting and make them feel comfortable and accepted and can you get them to reengage with their passion, their light, their spark? can you help someone appreciate themself for just being and all the wonderful incredible things that entails? can you stir the minutiae of the soul?

(and can you paint with all the colors of the wind?!) :laugh:

I do and have. I wonder if that has anything to do with F and T, or how often you introspect.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This thread almost seems like the perfect place to unveil my "theory on how to live forever"! But not yet...

Also may I chime in and add that NFs are better at pudding?

Hooray for pudding! Chocolate! Vanilla! Tapioca! No, no...let's get fancy and make banana pudding with vanilla wafers, or go all out and make some bread pudding with lots of nice cinnamon and raisins, yum.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Better typologists...?

(...)

I am also impressed by Karen Horney (INFP) who, like Myers, observed people and figured out a meaningful typology.

ps. horneys concept of neurotic coping strategies isnt really a topology, they are just coping strategies, you could compare it to jungs work of complexes.

She identifies three strategies and says everyone leads with one: When pressured in conflict, one tends to either disengage (Withdrawn), go on the offensive (Aggressive) or submit (Compliant). That's a three-fold typology in my book, and one that I find a useful supplement to MBTI.

Way to miss the point of my post, INTP. :rolleyes:

PS: Srsly, the above smiley has taken the place of rolleyes.gif? Why?! That is, I know why. But this travesty must be undone! *heads to Feedback*

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
but NTPs are better at taking these type of comments without getting butt hurt :D. also NTPs are more efficient on pointing that kind of things out, and thats much needed skill when dealing with NTJs, because they would just most likely disagree with NFPs way of pointing that kind of stuff out, since it wont most likely include the information on why the NFPs opinion differs from the other persons opinion, in other words being too vague description of personal knowledge about the subject.

anyways, i would use bit different wording if i would talk with someone face to face, unless i knew the other person was an TJ of some sort

Perhaps..but I'd say NFPs have a far better chance of getting an NTJ to review his thoughts and see things from a different perspective, effectively making them take the information supplied on board. :wink:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ

What I'm saying is that the people on this forum could be characterized as Aggressive, Compliant, and Withdrawn with the same merit that they are typed as INTJs, ESFPs, etc. If terminology is so important to you, feel free to give me another word than 'typology' for the kind of pattern-seeing characterization I had in mind, where one identifies different boxes into which to stuff people. However, as I see it the terminology issue is really a pointless distraction from the OP's desire to figure out what Fi-Ne users might be better at than Ti-Ne users.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What I'm saying is that the people on this forum could be characterized as Aggressive, Compliant, and Withdrawn with the same merit that they are typed as INTJs, ESFPs, etc. If terminology is so important to you, feel free to give me another word than 'typology' for the kind of pattern-seeing characterization I had in mind, where one identifies different boxes into which to stuff people. However, as I see it the terminology issue is really a pointless distraction from the OP's desire to figure out what Fi-Ne users might be better at than Ti-Ne users.

lol learn the basics before starting to argue, its really stupid and other people cant really argue with(or correct) you correctly because they would expect that you know the basics and if you dont know the basics, its hard for them to see what basics are you missing.

The German Freudian psychoanalyst Karen Horney defined four so-called coping strategies to define interpersonal relations, one describing psychologically healthy individuals, the others describing neurotic states.

Coping strategies

Moving with

These are the strategies in which psychologically healthy people develop relationships. It involves compromise. In order to move with, there must be communication, agreement, disagreement, compromise, and decisions.

Karen Horney describes the other strategies as a neurotic. This means that they are unhealthy strategies people utilize in order to protect themselves.

Moving toward

The individual moves towards those perceived as a threat to avoid retribution and getting hurt. The argument is, "If I give in, I won't get hurt." This means that: if I give everyone I see as a potential threat whatever they want, I won't be injured (physically or emotionally).

Moving against

The individual threatens those perceived as a threat to avoid getting hurt.

Moving away

The individual distances themselves from anyone perceived as a threat to avoid getting hurt. The argument is, "If I do not let anyone close to me, I won't get hurt." A neurotic, according to Horney desires to be distant because of being abused. If they can be the extreme introvert, no one will ever develop a relationship with them. If there is no one around, nobody can hurt them. These "moving away" people fight personality, so they often come across as cold or shallow. This is their strategy. They emotionally remove themselves from society.

and what comes to terminology, they are called coping strategies, not typology, like i already mentioned, and as the name says.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Perhaps..but I'd say NFPs have a far better chance of getting an NTJ to review his thoughts and see things from a different perspective, effectively making them take the information supplied on board. :wink:

well, lets see if he can review his thoughts now :D

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
lol learn the basics before starting to argue, its really stupid and other people cant really argue with(or correct) you correctly because they would expect that you know the basics and if you dont know the basics, its hard for them to see what basics are you missing.

Congratulations, INTP, you win this month's 'reminding Economica why she should not waste her time posting on the forum' award! :cheese: