User Tag List

12 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Intuition/knowing what it's telling you/trusting it, etc...

How much do you trust intuition? Do you always know what it’s telling you? Do you sometimes just feel that it’s telling you SOMETHING and you can’t quite figure it out?

I don’t necessarily mean “intuition” as in Ni or Ne. I think those are more different ways of approaching the world. Probably I mean more the gut feeling sort of thing. But perhaps some of you can tell me what I mean. Or approach it any way you like.

I’m sure this has been discussed before but it’s something I wonder about. There are always those who will say “my intuition is never wrong.” Of course these people make mistakes like anyone, but they may argue that they make those mistakes when they ignore intuition, not when they follow its leadings.

But surely it is going too far to say that gut feelings are always correct? Don’t people often regret following their gut feelings? What if you want something really badly – can’t that confuse the issue?

If you really like someone, and your gut is telling you that they like you back, but they later deny any liking beyond friendship, are they lying? Or did your gut tell you what you wanted to hear? (really wondered about this one recently? I think the answer is “your gut told you what you wanted to hear”, generally – or maybe the person just flirted for fun! – but it probably varies…)

I tend to find that I get feelings, but I have trouble figuring out what they are telling me…sometimes they are just strong feelings and I wonder "why do I feel like this?" Sometimes I never figure it out, sometimes realization only comes later when I have put a few more pieces in place. This can happen to me particularly in certain places, which is probably more of a question for psychogeography. Though I think I am getting better at telling what the feelings are saying, as I get older, and self-awareness helps with it too. There do seem to be many people, however, who get feelings and seem to know just what they mean. Or they think they do – not the same thing!

I’d be interested in all your thoughts!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    But surely it is going too far to say that gut feelings are always correct? Don’t people often regret following their gut feelings? What if you want something really badly – can’t that confuse the issue?
    I have observed a pattern. The gut feeling seems to be strongly related to my morals, in other words "what is good for me" in a wider frame of reference. This is why it is sometimes hard to follow it. My ego-self-interest often disagrees with my intuition. The intuition doesn't seem to care for practical matters at all. And it seems to understand the complicated web of morals I have a lot more clear than my conscious mind. The thing is, it will take them as far as it can, but my ego doesn't like that. Basically, I think it is impossible to decide that enough is enough, now it is time for my ego. You either follow through until you have become very much dissociated from the normal way of life, or you will have those clashes between ego and gut.

If you really like someone, and your gut is telling you that they like you back, but they later deny any liking beyond friendship, are they lying? Or did your gut tell you what you wanted to hear? (really wondered about this one recently? I think the answer is “your gut told you what you wanted to hear”, generally – or maybe the person just flirted for fun! – but it probably varies…)
    I've actually seen this go the other way more often. There has been this feeling of uneasiness that I have bypassed, and later found out it was right. Keep in mind that the enculturation is telling you that you should be dating someone. This pushes many people dating for dating, not because they really met someone they feel is right for them.

There do seem to be many people, however, who get feelings and seem to know just what they mean. Or they think they do – not the same thing!
    I don't know if it's smart to trust it all that much. I mean, it is telling something, but it often isn't all that clear what it is. On the other hand, I don't think that ego can really make too good decisions anyway, so, it's not a big deal if you replace it with intuition. I mean, it doesn't ultimately matter where people get in their lives. And even if it does, ego doesn't have a better map of the future than intuition.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I dunno, it's difficult for me. I am very sensitive about many things yet I often isolate myself from others. As in I dont really care what they feel as long as they find my shit hilarious. That way I am suiciding and hunches or intuition dont really have any chances to ever emerge. When a guy then who always found my shit hilarious then suddenly starts in the company of others to work against me somehow, I feel betrayed and start to feel something for real for the first time. I dunno, I am very retarded when it comes to dealing with my emotions.

I always have hunches when I meet new people and these first impressions or hunches normally stay forever with that person. I am incapable of getting lost of a first impression -.-
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I am still very confused about this type of intuition. I thought I was S for a short while because of this. I wonder if this more common usage of intuition is more linked to F than to N....
    Tune into Ventrilo weeknights between 6pm and 1am PST for continuation of universe dominating shenanigans and occassional type-related propaganda.........

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I tend to think the common usage of intuition is the most close you can get to mbti intuition. You feel how a judging function like F or T is missing. You just assume something about somebody because your subconcious mind somehow connected the dots, but a real judgement there never was.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I am still very confused about this type of intuition. I thought I was S for a short while because of this. I wonder if this more common usage of intuition is more linked to F than to N....
    Someone once asked me why I came here. I thought intuitive people would be here.
    Silly me.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Does that count as a reason too ?
    v
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqoQ9nKxKVw&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, I'm just not that kind of intuitive

At least going with the thing on gut feelings, I don't see how either Ni or Ne has to do with that. Unless you are counting a certain excitement that comes with a sudden realization or finding more possibilities.

On the subconscious/conscious, perhaps Ni gets close to this type of intuition... Ne seems to swtich around a bit with this.

What am I missing here?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I dunno, I dont think it's all just achieved thru a "gut feeling". My girlfriend says I have tremendous abilities to understand systems, so I generally get along in new environments quite fast cause I understand how people roll. I personally always think it's because I have a good empathy about people but nowadays I am growing more and more sceptic of it. I rather think I am good at understanding the system and can then recreate behaviour and mask myself as someone I am not.

I blame much I do on a gut feeling, maybe this is what it is about: that blaming things on a gut feeling means to always go by your first feeling or your first thought and by calling it a "gut feeling" you evade public examination of your poorly made decisions

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Well, I'm just not that kind of intuitive

At least going with the thing on gut feelings, I don't see how either Ni or Ne has to do with that. On the subconscious/conscious, perhaps Ni gets close to this type of intuition... Ne seems to swtich around a bit with this.

What am I missing here?
    Have a look at this, "Do you trust your Ni?" thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...t-your-ni.html

I like pippi's response, who is one of the few female INTJs:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...l=1#post816671