User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Another Sensor Myth I'd like to discuss

...that Sensors are stuck in details.

I've realized lately that I hate, hate, hate when we get stuck in discussing points that really have no effect on the matter at hand.

I work in a detailed environment, and it really kills me. My boss' boss is an ISTJ, and he actually loses confidence in people if they don't have 100% detailed understanding of the situation at hand- regardless if they impact the big picture or not.

I have to tell my staff to 'start at the top'- with the issue/conclusion or whatever, THEN you can drill down.

I just needed to put this out there to all you who like to box people.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yeah, this have never made sense to me either. I'm the opposite to you, though; an intuitive who's very detail oriented. You have to get down to details to get to the interesting Ne-connections I claim...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by raminda View Post
    Yeah, this have never made sense to me either. I'm the opposite to you, though; an intuitive who's very detail oriented. You have to get down to details to get to the interesting Ne-connections I claim...
    Yea, many NTJ's are very detail oriented as well. I'm fairly easy to bounce between details and big picture, with a slightly better focus on details. I wouldn't say I ever "get caught up" in them though. That's counter productive.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Indeedy!

I like details just as much as the next person, but I'll admit that sometimes...my dedication to detail just isn't what it needs to be. Sometimes I'm just worried about other things.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

haha, my mom's SJ and dad's NTP and dad is totally more detail-anal than mom. mom just has way better consistency dealing with details than he does. like she integrates them into her decision-making. he's only attentive to the details when it's something he really cares about.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Primarily the difference will be whether or not you notice details in the external environment and care about details in the things you specifically care about.

By that I mean ...well, let me give two examples.

My ESFJ ex obsessively collects world cinema (and specifically underground horror) and he acquires, catalogues, arranges, alphabetizes, and studies facts about the directors, actors, and artistic movements in cinema. He's done this since the age of seven or so. In that sense, he is exquisitely detail oriented. He's also very good with cleaning the house, in paying attention to detail...but it's not like he always cares about details when it comes to things which are no his interests...being ESFJ doesn't mean that he's constantly caught up in details about every little thing he does or sees. It just means he applies Si (and Ti) to his interests, hobbies, and priorities.

Same with an ISFJ I know...he doesn't give a rat's ass about the details of what I happen to be eating for lunch lol...but he will study something he's interested in - say a sport he plays - with great precision and detail. He can also notice sensory details sharply, like he says he can see crumbs on the counter from across the room, and it bothers him.

Soooo...the attention to detail with Si is there (and I think it's actually compounded by the precision of Ti in SFJs...and NTPs, which is probably why these INTPs are good with detail in certain areas) but it doesn't mean that sensors are obsessed with details like Rainman all day long (sorry, exaggeration, but you know what I mean). Yes, that's a stupid myth.

Anyone who has Si (including NPs) will have some attention to detail....apparently in SJs, specifically, it has a lot to do their personal opinion of what is "correct" i.e. what they care about, or if they feel they must build or defend something according to facts...in that case, yes, they are more comfortable once they have the facts and details to construct and back up their argument. On this web site, notice how I argue about society and politics, and the way ESFJ PureMercury does it...he pays attention to fact and detail and statistics (almost to the point of not seeing the forest for the trees) and gets annoyed when other people don't do so as well.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

How come "sensor" always seems to get equated with SJ (Si)? :steam:

But being detail-oriented is very different from respecting the value of facts and objective information (vs. opinions, speculations, personal theories, etc).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    How come "sensor" always seems to get equated with SJ (Si)? :steam:

But being detail-oriented is very different from respecting the value of facts and objective information (vs. opinions, speculations, personal theories, etc).
    Yes, this. The original reason why I determined myself as a sensor, not an intuitive, though I tested intuitive. Not that I'm all facts facts all the time, but final decision making is usually based on a bunch of collected observed solid information. The smaller the leap of logic, the better.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Its situational. Sometimes the details are key. Other times they are not. The devils in the details. Its all about perspective.

The only major problem I have with detail oriented people is that when there strength becomes a weakness. When we barraged by nit picking and lose focus of the big picture. Or barraged by details and eventually ignore or become numb to the "key" details which directly or indirectly effect the germane.

Matthew 7:3 comes to mind in this picture.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

It's not remotely unusal to see this in an employment ad:

Must be detail-oriented with the ability to see the big picture.

I used to run ads like that, myself. If someone wasn't both, I wouldn't hire them. That's why it's not surprising to see things like this, regarding MBTI:

The National Academy of Sciences committee reviewed data from over 20 MBTI research studies and concluded that only the Intraversion-Extroversion scale has adequate construct validity. In contrast, the S-N and T-F scales show relatively weak validity.
    Of course they show weak validity. No shocker, there. The majority of people I have known in my lifetime are well-rounded individuals. In business, one better be detail-oriented lest they get their head handed to them on a plate.