• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverted Intuition and Megolamania

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As an allusion to my earlier thread on Extroverted Intuition and religion we see cases in point for how ENPs often abuse their presentation skills to the end of exploiting their audience to any extent they deem desirable.

The unhealthy ENTP persona is often correlated with the narcissistic personality disorder? Why would this be the case, one shall inquire? For good reasons indeed though--read below.

The ENTP is best represented by the great Machiavelli who observes his external environment, and then ruthlessly and impersonally takes advantage of it to any degree desired. On the other hand we have the ENFP, whose approach is far more person-centered. Such a character would also have much interest in observing his external environment, yet his purpose is not to fulfill this or that impersonal criteria, but win the approbation of the multitude.

The auxiliary Introverted Judgment is often used by such a type merely to foster the intent of the Extroverted Intuition. When Introverted Judgment is corrupt, it becomes radically egocentric and nearly infallibly succumbs to self-apotheosis. Such is most clearly the case with the characters above. Extroverted Intuition on its own does not have an agenda, it is a non-rational function that fuels strictly on perception. It is the corrupt introverted judgment that renders representatives of these types villainous. Introverted Judgment has a very narrow focus which tends to zoom in on entities of particular interest. Extroverted Intuition has broad and extensive aims almost by nature of itself. This is a contradiction most palpable in the psyche of the ENP type. When Introverted Thinking falls slave to Extroverted Intuition, such a type merely puts on the image of being intensely focused on one particular endeavor, without necessarily being this focused on that activity. Since the primary aim of the ENP is that established by the broad Extroverted Intuition, the goals of Introverted Judgment tend not to be special as the air of Introverted Judgment itself implies.

This is most graphically illustrated by how ENFPs can chat with dozens of people in a day appearing to be focusing on each one of them at a time with fierce intensity, yet forgetting about them by the morrow. Thus, the ENFP will treat everyone as they are one of their closest companions leading them to believe that they in their own right are very special. Yet how could those persons truly be special if they are merely one of the multitude? Often one of 10, one of 20, 30 and so on. At times even a community of several thousands whereas each one of their counterparts receives the same exact treatment from the ENFP, leaving the guileless and thoughtless bypassers in awe and approbation for the ENFP. Many will be willing to go so far as to confess even the most personal of information to such a person, and the ENFP will respond accordingly sharing a doze of personal information of their own. The confessor right then will feel flattered on the account of having been so warmly received by the ENFP and will even feel honored that a person of such great eminence and poise went so far as to share most deeply felt ideas and values with them.

What do we see next!? The same champion for the glorious cause and the superstar of the scene does the exact same thing to a manifold of other individuals? Yet again, has this ENFP truly shared something of deep personal value? Of course not, as such a person simply has no core! The personal values are strictly means to the end of interacting with the external environment. They adapt to better fit the external circumstances.

What is there to be said about the ENTP and how his use of Ti parallels what we have just observed with the ENFP? The ENTP uses the depth of thought and deep seated notion of self-competence invested in the Ti and projects this image outwards to convince his observers that he is the man to count on under even the most adverse of circumstances. He is the man you turn to get even the most challenging tasks done. That this is the kind of a person you want to delegate the heaviest of responsibilities to! Yet, again only to discover that the ENTP has abandoned this mood and mode of functioning by the next day and is now too busy to be bothered with your crap because he is aspiring to convince a dozen of other delegations that he is their star of the team.

What, I ask drives such people? As aforementioned, it is Extroverted Perception. Extroverted Perception always wishes to interact with the environment smoothly. Extroverted Intuition is loftier and more complicated than Extroverted Sensing, this gives such a type an air of grandeur flexed outwards. The egocentric nature of Introverted Judgment only goes further to support this. The ENP relishes in the spotlight and enjoys the mystical air of renown he receives from others. He isnt a simple performer that ESPs often are, he is hardly understood by those who observe him, yet even they sense there is something inordinate about him. Something deserving of their utmost admiration and approbation! Whats more is that these types often do not know what they want as they lack the proper judgment, they simply leap relentlessly from hunch to hunch. And their affinity with the external environment makes them the perfect mimics! They can acquire any persona that they'd like and due to their lack of extroverted Judgment they often dont know which one to go with first and last. Incidentally they end up jumping at the whole affair simultaneously, throwing all of their masks out there at the same time. The phantasmagoria of images and the flight of thought they bestow on their environment hardly seems short of pathological! As if they have the soul of every madman dwelling within them, where they all celebrate a sort of witches sabbath, slowly but dilligently attempting to force whoever dares to chase after their many phantasms into insanity!

Even on this site I saw an ENTP member who had, I am incredible as his user-title. An ENFP member who claimed that she does not have the relationships she desires because she is too lofty for others to handle, but only if she could find someone nearly as amazing as herself. What about Richard Hatch? The winner of the first survivor show who many believe was the greatest player of the game, well renowned for his Machiavellian ways and lack of remorse to double cross others. It appeared as if he hardly had any conscience, to him all things were truly permissible only he could get his way. As for his own stamp of approval, on the last all start show he stripped himself naked and rubbed his genital organs against the body of an elderly female player at an immunity challenge. Unsurprisingly, he was voted off the contest the next day, as his final words he had no show to put on other than he is sad to be gone in a maudlin tone. No doubt strictly to end of engaging the sympathies of his listeners. Being cold and calculating character, it was far from the case that he needed the sympathies of his audience, he simply wished to evoke a reaction from them, as this was his endeavor all along. Within the three years to ensue he has become rich and famous off the talk shows he conducted. Both there and in the game he was willing to perform the most extravagant of stunts to appease the whims of his egocentric will and sate his performer urges. He never stopped flipping his personas around to better befit the occassion and explore the innocent onlookers in the most ignominous fashion. He even managed to keep his stage-like composure even under the direst of circumstances. When he was convicted for tax evasion, he came up to the stand and said in the same tone he gave his last words at the show "See you later mom". My ENTP comedian friend is convinced that he is the funniest and most amazing person he knows. He relishes for the few moments he spends on stage which amount to approximately 2 hours a week, yet, hell his momentum does not end there, as he tries to entertain everywhere he goes.

Okay, one may say this 'ENTP guy' seems a little shady, we cant trust him. Why dont we keep our guard on around him at all times, as who knows what he has up his sleeves. Yet the ENFP strives to win the trust and affection of all those who befall his lot. People give away their very hearts to the person who is merely out to toy with them. This one ENFP character I used to know was a preacher who made a sport out of presenting his message in experimental ways as to see what kind of a reaction he could evoke from his audience. Nearly everyone in town thought him the best orator there could be, some churches even called for him to replace their retiring Senior pastors only to find out that he has given up on preaching less than 6 months after his most memorable performances. His community had plans aligned to have him go on tour to present to a half a dozen of congregations, some of which were even intended to be filmed on National TV. Yet all of a sudden, what do we get? He had everyone fired up believing that he is their messiah, the great prophet, the one who is meant to shake them out of their depraved slumbers, yet he turns his back on it all much too soon. In fact before he was renowned, he did not have too many plans of ending his preaching career, yet as soon as he exploded, he simply got tired of it all! He need to seek approbation elsewhere, more crowds to fire up. There are countless people in a number of church communities who still look up to him as their spiritual guide and confidant, and to all those people he simply says that he shall meet with them, lulls them into thinking he shall still take care of them and merely evanesces from the scene like a dream in the morning light. At one point when he has become annoyed with people insisting that he goes on to preach and speaking of how much they need him, he rhetorted "Do you know why the audience is crying? Because their actor left", turned his back and marched away, only to come back weeks later at the exhortations of his religiously zealous friends and family. Yet even that he has taken very lightly! Recently he has been the most outspoken critic of Christian dogma in their Church community and online forum, and when others criticized him for his ways, he almost always manged to make his beliefs seem appealing to their values which stood in sharp contrast to his values. Or in other words, he made something very disagreeable to those people seem like an old friend!

This guy was far from malevolent and I dont think the above mentioned ENTPs are particularly wicked, they seem to be out there merely to play around and appease their hunches and egocentric thoughts. I am sure they could be made sorry if they were to witness all the harm they have caused, the ENFPs for the very least. And the ENTPs, I am sure they could be made to adhere to a standard of objective fairness of a kind. Yet again, too busy playing around, entangled in their many shapeless visions and fully absorbed in their quickly-altering agendas.

Now, I ask you people, what is the problem here? Drop your soap box and get off the damn stage already! The world isnt yours for the taking.

Disclaimer: I do understand that such behaviors are represented by strictly neurotic ENP individuals. To avoid such tendencies in behavior, one as an ENP merely needs to acquire balance by cultivating the Auxiliary Introverted Thinking of Introverted Feeling.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
BlueWing said:
This is most graphically illustrated by how ENFPs can chat with dozens of people in a day appearing to be focusing on each one of them at a time with fierce intensity, yet forgetting about them by the morrow. Thus, the ENFP will treat everyone as they are one of their closest companions leading them to believe that they in their own right are very special. Yet how could those persons truly be special if they are merely one of the multitude? Often one of 10, one of 20, 30 and so on. At times even a community of several thousands whereas each one of their counterparts receives the same exact treatment from the ENFP, leaving the guileless and thoughtless bypassers in awe and approbation for the ENFP. Many will be willing to go so far as to confess even the most personal of information to such a person, and the ENFP will respond accordingly sharing a doze of personal information of their own. The confessor right then will feel flattered on the account of having been so warmly received by the ENFP and will even feel honored that a person of such great eminence and poise went so far as to share most deeply felt ideas and values with them.

So you're saying that the confessor is justified in feeling tricked by the ENFP into sharing the most personal things because the ENFP has other relationships? How would you know that the ENFP is being disingenuous? AFAIK, the ENFP is warm and receptive because it is most natural.. they aren't to blame because people are taken by them and decide to open up. If a person has a fear of being second, third, or tenth string (which, I can assure you, the ENFP does not "rank" their friends), then they should make this insecurity well known before divulging their deepest darkest secrets and feelings.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
BlueWing said:
What do we see next!? The same champion for the glorious cause and the superstar of the scene does the exact same thing to a manifold of other individuals? Yet again, has this ENFP truly shared something of deep personal value? Of course not, as such a person simply has no core! The personal values are strictly means to the end of interacting with the external environment. They adapt to better fit the external circumstances.

To say that the ENFP has no core because you think they use their values as a means to an end (sounds like projection!) is ridiculous. I would like to see an example of an ENFP adapting his or her values to fit the circumstance.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What about INFP and INTP?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What about INFP and INTP?

As I mention, the ENP with a strong Introverted Judgment would have a solid core which would prevent him from acting out in fashions depicted above. INPs are more likely to have a strong introverted judgment than ENPs and therefore less susceptible to such problems. INPs with corrupt introverted judgment would also be radically egocentric, yet not skilled enough in the external world to act out in the same fashion the above ENPs do due to the scarcity of their Extroverted Intuition.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, if you are referring to only the neurotic ENPs, then I suppose my post is meaningless.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
BW thinks I'm an unhealthy ENTP.

He doesn't believe me that I'm not that extraverted. I don't think I'd have as many post as I do if I were all that much of an extravert.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
BlueWing... does this have anything to do with Whatever revealing her type, or is this just a coincidence? Do you believe that she did something wrong by misleading us regarding her type?

Anyway, I would have to say that there's probably a good reason they present false personalities. Most xNxP's real selves are terribly unappealing. I've always found that whenever one of them puts on a mask, I usually like them. Then when they show their true colors, I find it wasn't them I liked. I end up half-wishing they had held the mask just a little longer, even if it was an illusion... because it was such a beautiful illusion, especially compared to who they really are. So I guess that "actor" comment by the ENFP was somewhat justified, since ultimately, there's something very appealing about a stylized persona that you don't get from a real personality. In the moment, it seems so much closer to the ideal. Does that make sense?

I have to admit that sometimes, the sheer banality of life can make going along with the illusions of these people seem worthwhile. Enjoying an illusion for a moment can seem better than dejectedly continuing to acknowledge the meaninglessness of everything without an intermission. Although I guess that's missing the point, isn't it?

What they primarily seem to be neglecting if what you are implying is true, then, is the impact their actions have on others at a more personal level than they consider. Is this really the criticism you're making? Or have I misunderstood?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
:thelook:
BlueWing... does this have anything to do with Whatever revealing her type, or is this just a coincidence? Do you believe that she did something wrong by misleading us regarding her type?

Anyway, I would have to say that there's probably a good reason they present false personalities. Most xNxP's real selves are terribly unappealing. I've always found that whenever one of them puts on a mask, I usually like them. Then when they show their true colors, I find it wasn't them I liked. I end up half-wishing they had held the mask just a little longer, even if it was an illusion... because it was such a beautiful illusion, especially compared to who they really are. So I guess that "actor" comment by the ENFP was somewhat justified, since ultimately, there's something very appealing about a stylized persona that you don't get from a real personality. In the moment, it seems so much closer to the ideal. Does that make sense?

What in the world do you mean, 'unnapealing'. :thelook:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I wasn't going to say anything, but now I will say what I wanted to say:

As if NPs care that they're unappealing to you.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I was referring to athenian. But I suppose the same goes for BW, who is definitely an INTP.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting, I can relate to 99% of what you have described here BlueWing, to be honest. Hah, perhaps I am neurotic. The only thing though I wonder about is what a "core" is and what it means to not have one. And furthermore why that may be a bad thing.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I never thought of Richard Hatch as an ENTP. He seemed to carry himself like an INTJ. He was definitely a schemer, but it seemed like he focused on keeping his core 4 together and was often pretty offensive to the other tribe members. I would expect a Machivellian ENTP to be playing everyone all the time and keep his intentions more secretive. In other words an ENTP would befriend everyone up until the moment they were voted out (and even then be sympathetic to them to get the jury vote). In the first season of Survivor it was quite obvious what was going on in every show, but to his credit Hatch made sure that his group stuck relentlessly to his plan. This made me think he is an INTJ.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting, I can relate to 99% of what you have described here BlueWing, to be honest. Hah, perhaps I am neurotic. The only thing though I wonder about is what a "core" is and what it means to not have one. And furthermore why that may be a bad thing.

noooooo. I'm sure whatever you do is not what BW is thinking about. BW has issues!! Please don't lend any hint of support to his bullshit.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
can a moderator pleeeeese put this thread in the graveyard? BW already did a post with an almost identical subject. I don't think anyone should have to waste thier time responding to this one.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey, how come Gabe isn't a mod?

He's clearly got a gift for these kinds of decisions.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Anyway, I would have to say that there's probably a good reason they present false personalities. Most xNxP's real selves are terribly unappealing. I've always found that whenever one of them puts on a mask, I usually like them. Then when they show their true colors, I find it wasn't them I liked. I end up half-wishing they had held the mask just a little longer, even if it was an illusion... because it was such a beautiful illusion, especially compared to who they really are.

Whoa-- To say most xNxPs real selves are unappealing?- Terribly unappealing to you, maybe. They certaintly aren't the only Types capable of putting on a mask, I dare say, we all do at one point or another but with different motivations and different approaches. There may be a good reason as you say. Have you tried asking those xNxP's why they put on a mask for you and what their reasons are? Perhaps, they felt you couldn't handle their true selves and they tried appeasing you with a personality they felt you'd like or accept? (Or maybe, it was because you were so easy to play with? Easy prey, you know?) I think most people, within all Types, do that when trying to win the favour of most people with all sorts of relationships. They may also do that with others they feel aren't easily accepting of their differences and also whom they may want acceptance from. They distrust that people will accept them, so they put on a front. It may be a form of self-protection too, especially if they've been judged by others for displaying their 'true selves' and found lacking or terribly unappealing as you say. They may not even behave "this or that way" with everyone but with particular people or groups of people whom they deem similar of being judgemental of others, with good reason or not. I'd think they'd mostly do it with good reason, though-

I should add, you're speaking of emotionally unhealthy xNxPs if they abuse you with that mask. Though, even emotionally healthier ones, I'd think, will don some kind of mask, at times when they choose to wear'em, but for teasingly harmless fun (or whatever they think is harmless :ninja:).. And I've been having in mind ENxPs, mostly. I can't really see what you've implied of INxPs being so similar to ENxPs at all...if you'd care to explain with regards to INxPs?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Originally Posted by athenian200
Anyway, I would have to say that there's probably a good reason they present false personalities. Most xNxP's real selves are terribly unappealing. I've always found that whenever one of them puts on a mask, I usually like them. Then when they show their true colors, I find it wasn't them I liked. I end up half-wishing they had held the mask just a little longer, even if it was an illusion... because it was such a beautiful illusion, especially compared to who they really are.

What a generalization and judgement I might add. Everyone sugar-coats for multiple reasons: political correctness (rampant today), group dynamics, social acceptance, thoughtfulness about what the "other" can deal with, earning potential on and on. And a very significant one... deeming the "other" incapable of fathoming what's being said without sitting in judgement or seeing them as just judgemental types who will do that anyway.