User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    IsFJ

I'm not sure, but I think Magic Poriferan tried to modify the wing system in another thread...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Because 7s strengths and weaknesses are about the head, not instinct or feelings, why do you presume that loving fun precludes that?

The nature of their potential problem begins with one of their strongest assets—their agile minds. Type Seven’s thinking is quick and mercurial, they are curious, easily stimulated, and eager for new ideas and experiences. However, to the degree that they are anxious about themselves or their lives, is the degree to which their minds race out of control, leading them into a widening circle of unfocused behaviors. There is a powerful link in Sevens between their thinking and their doing. If they entertain an idea about an activity which is interesting and enjoyable to them, as soon as possible, they want to do it. Ultimately, their minds are speeding along about two steps ahead of them, and they are moving fairly quickly! They tend to spin out of control trying to realize all of their ideas, in a search for satisfying experiences and happiness.
    From EI

Dunno about other 7s but I sure have a major tendency to over think, and then to use action to attempt to stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Because when I think of head, heart, and gut, I am, as most others would, going to associate them with my preconceived notions of what those terms mean. Head is suppose to be logical and rational, making decisions based off of evidence, facts, and logic. 7 though is all about having fun, about fullfilling base urges and being satisfyed. Therefore it logically doesn't make any sense being in the logical category considering that it isn't even rational of thinking at all.
    You're mixing terminology, head is about thinking sure, but not in the same manner that MBTI means it. Thinking doesn't mean logical, it just means thinking.

Another way of viewing it:

Sevens have anxiety about their inner world. There are feelings of pain, loss, deprivation, and general anxiety that Sevens would like to stay clear of as much as possible. To cope with these feelings, Sevens keep their minds occupied with exciting possibilities and options— as long as they have something stimulating to anticipate, Sevens feel that they can distract themselves from their fears.

Using the emotional reactions can you see how shame is feeling based, anxiety is thinking base and rage is about instincts?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Precisely, Kasper. While I agree that wings and intergration/disintegration points (especially these) are very arbitrary, I think each type fits into their respective triad quite well. The reason why a 7 is a head type is because 7's devote their energy, according to e-theory, to running away from boredom or pain that they may either be experiencing or perceiving that comes internally from their minds. This is the parallel to 5's, who instead of running away from inner turmoil, escape from external terrors by retreating inside their minds. In both cases, both 5's and 7's are fixated on "head" issues; 5's too much on it and 7's too little.

I am reminded of a 7 poster (either on this site or another one) who said that he hated the feeling of parties coming to an end and would always be one of the last to leave because he knew that if he was alone, he would start getting depressed and focusing on things he didn't want to. 7's know their anxieties and problems, yet they want to escape it via external means which is why they're a head type, not necessarily a "logical" type.

Similarly, 1's aren't head types at all because although they can be extremely rational and logical, they aren't fixated on their "head" at all, instead, they focus on doing things as right as possible and to keep their emotions and actions in check. In fact, the reason why they seem so logical and rational is BECAUSE of their fixation on their guts. Similar to 7's who want to focus as little as possible on their head, so do 1's want to focus as little as possible on their base instincts. Whereas 8's are easily comfortable expressing these instincts, 1's are not and would rather hold in their expressions and try to rationalize them.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

Yeah, the head/heart/gut triads are supposed to reflect something like a damaged or distorted relationship with that element, where the most stress and tension and conflict reside, not where the strong area is.

e.g. 8s overuse the gut elements [instinct, action, anger], 1s suppress or constrict them, 9s are out of touch with them. 4s focus excessively on the heart elements [feelings, identity, shame], 2s avoid them, and 3s are out of touch with them. 5s rely excessively on their minds, 6s are conflicted within their minds, and 7s either attempt to rise above their minds or flee from the limitations that may come with them.

Another reason for why 7 is considered a head type, I think, is because 7 is described as not truly experiencing all that they are chasing, or else being dissatisfied with it because it does not live up to their ideals. They are really chasing their mental visions and seeking for "reality to align with them".

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Alright for one, the current order of the types makes no sense, considering that certain types can "wing" into others, yet cannot "wing" into any not ajacent to it. For example 2 and 9 can both wing into 1, yet 2 and 9, despite sharing utter similarities (I have seen people who could easily express aspects of thier personality that was both super chill and super helpful) cannot be paired with one another. This makes no damn sense, who the hell said that a person couldn't be primarily five, yet wing into one? I've known plenty of people who were analytical yet somewhat perfectionist, but in no way security or emotionall oriented. Thus types should be able to wing into each other one.
    2 and 9 are both positive outlook types and thus "resemble" each other, 5 and 1 are both competency oriented ("rational" perfectionist) types and thus "resemble" each other. Really, there are so many ways to group the 9 types and so many factors that tie in to each type that it's both amusing and annoying.

I don't much like wings, but... I think the type is a motivator and the wing is merely a behavioral/coping influence. Which is to say I think all 5s are 5s no matter the wing, and all 5s tend to be analytical and perfectionist. I think too much importance is given to the wing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

In this thread:

http://personalitycafe.com/articles/...enneagram.html

someone tries to explain the validity of the wing theory, which actually makes sense in its own way.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland