First 6789 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If I were to pick out examples of emotional geniuses, I would pick people like Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr., Princess Diana...(all feelers, mind you).

I'm not really keen on adding Richard Nixon or David Letterman to that list (famous ENTJs).

However, EQ can be used for bad - like in the case of Adolph Hitler.

And there are ENTJs with high EQ, like Margaret Thatcher. EDIT: wait, some people aren't going to get the sarcasm here of me saying Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher has high EQ.

That's really all I have to say about that.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    If managing and controlling emotions are "above all" EQ, then IxTJs would be emotional geniuses.

No. Extroverts are usually more externally aware, especially when it comes to interactions, which aren't an introverts strong points. Awareness Is knowledge, which is the lack of ignorance. Once you are aware, you're capable of reason. What has lead to this person reacting this way? What can I do to reverse it? What is required here? Why should i effing bother, and so on. Now this can be applied to many issues. But when you're not a peoples person(which most introverts are), it is difficult to reach a conclusion.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 03-18-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: This does NOT apply to all introverts. Let's be realistic here

A window to the soul

If I were to pick out examples of emotional geniuses, I would pick people like Mother Theresa, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr., Princess Diana...(all feelers, mind you).
    ^ Perhaps just smoke & mirrors. What did their personal lives look like?

figsfiggyfigs

However, EQ can be used for bad - like in the case of Adolph .
    I was actually going to use him as an example Ealier, but decided against it. Although his type is undetermined. Part of me believes hes a emotionally intelligent person because he was so aware of how others felt and how he was able to manage it. But then you consider his own emotional state, he was driven by an irrational hate for an entire race, which in itself is emotionally unhealthy, but not un-intelligent If he was aware of it, he would've been capable of managing it. Maybe his way of managing his emotions was what caused the holocaust.

In that case, not only was he capable of "uniquely" managing his own emotions, but millions of other people as well. Managing was accomplished by all forms of manipulation.

Personally. I believe that to be emotionally intelligent, positive reason/action is required. But that's my inferior fi talking.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 03-18-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: It's 3 am. If it doesn't make sense, it doesn'take sense....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

does anyone else find this curious?

Total EI
    top 5: ENTJ, ESTJ, ENFJ, ESFP, ENFP
    bottom 5: ISTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INFP

Self-Awareness
    top 5: ENFJ, ENFP, ESFP, ESTJ, ESFJ
    bottom 5: INFJ, INTP, ISTP, ISFJ, ISTJ
    ENFJ and INFJ. how does switching Ni and Fe wind up wildly impacting your scores on these scales?

that just really strikes me as surprising.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    ^ Perhaps just smoke & mirrors. What did their personal lives look like?
    Smoke and mirrors? Are you joking? These people rose above their own egos to help and change humanity for the better.

This thread is utterly absurd.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    does anyone else find this curious?

ENFJ and INFJ. how does switching Ni and Fe wind up wildly impacting your scores on these scales?

that just really strikes me as surprising.
    It strikes me as incorrect.

One of the most influential, emotionally mature people in history (Jesus, even people who aren't Christians admit what a nice guy and moral philosopher he could be) was an INFJ.

Again: thread. absurd.

Now I shall leave, lest I say it again.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Emotional intelligence essentially means emotional skills. I don't think it refers to being nice or charitable, specifically at least. Similar to IQ in how it does not have inherent goals, motivations or morality behind it, and is merely a skill.

So yes, psychopaths have a certain element of emotional intelligence more than most, but that's forgetting the rest of what makes a psychopath (specifically non-violent and non-criminal psychopaths).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

It strikes me as incorrect.

One of the most influential, emotionally mature people in history (Jesus, even people who aren't Christians admit what a nice guy and moral philosopher he could be) was an INFJ.

Again: thread. absurd.

Now I shall leave, lest I say it again.
    eh, i dunno about typing jesus, but i'm not in disagreement.

i dislike quantitative psychometric testing for a reason - it tries to make numbers out of holistic things. i understand why we need this sort of objective rating in terms of education, and in terms of establishing certain baseline requirements for real-life practicalities, but i think most of these tests - EQ, IQ - are rudimentary and vague in nature (does whether you can tell me whether bill, joe, or mary came in 1st place really assess your intellectual capacity?), as well as being generally detrimental because it suggests that things as complex as our ability to solve problems and our ability to relate to humans can really be counted, measured, compared. taken to an extreme, that we can put the worth of a human on some kind of linear scale.

imo, IQ is useful for determining whether children may need extra help, but the only thing it truly measures is how well you can take an IQ test. EQ similarly might give you an idea of your problem areas versus your strengths when dealing with people and other emotional issues. but still, the only thing it truly measures is how well you can take an EQ test.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I actually did some research on this Thompson character - he appears to be some TJ type himself - highly associated with the military, is the CEO of a company, holds motivational workshops, etc. Could be a snake oil salesman or a cult leader for all I know.

Did some more looking around and he doesn't appear to be any more of an "expert" than about twenty other people hanging out in the field.

It's good to question things. Something seems inherently wrong to me about saying that all of these introverts have low EQ.

I'm not even defending myself or my "turf" (as I already mentioned, I view myself as average - high average yet still average - and not above average in terms of EQ)...it's just that this all seemed like a huge steaming load of bullcrap to me, and people were just eating it up with a spoon because somebody quoted a so-called "expert" who did a study. o_O