User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think that study is whack. INFPs and ISFJs are 2 of the MOST emotionally intelligent types, not the least. vice versa for ENTJs and ESTJs.
    No, I think as they define it, that's reasonable. They see EI as being less affected by their own emotions, so its natural for more sensitive types to have lower EI. They are always going to have greater difficulty controlling and directing their emotions.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Epiphany

How are INFPs not adept at reading people? I took one of those emotional recognition tests in facial expressions and got a near perfect score. I'm not one of those INFPs who avoids eye contact though. If anything, I have to refrain from making too much eye contact so people won't feel uncomfortable. I'm just more interested in people than things, although I am clearly an introvert.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    No, I think as they define it, that's reasonable. They see EQ as being less affected by their own emotions, so its natural for more sensitive types to have lower EQ. They are always going to have greater difficulty controlling and directing their emotions.
    I agree. I think ISFJs and INFJs would be perceived outwardly to have high emotional intelligence (if they're healthy) for the sheer fact that introverts with auxillary Fe tend to be "others focused" without being invasive.

However, Fi types (like INFP) might have more emotional intelligence in a more abstract and introspective way.

I don't like speculating on which type has what, because frankly any one of any type can be neurotic or selfish.

It's just that, yeah, sure, F types might stereotypically have more emotional intelligence and T types more logical intelligence.

Next thing I know I'm going to see a thread saying "Which Type Is Best at Basket Weaving?"

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

ISFP
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    ESTJ FOR THE WIN. Actually, someone did post a study on the forum where the Te doms were the best at this and INFPs sucked at this type of thing (dead last). I am way to lazy too search for it.
    I'm really going to have to disagree with this. Strongly.

I mean, is this a fucking joke?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    henry thompson's study
    the EQ test used

Total EI
    top 5: ENTJ, ESTJ, ENFJ, ESFP, ENFP
    bottom 5: ISTP, INFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ, INFP

Self-Awareness
    top 5: ENFJ, ENFP, ESFP, ESTJ, ESFJ
    bottom 5: INFJ, INTP, ISTP, ISFJ, ISTJ

the extravert/introvert divide is surprising

also interesting:
    I think the fact that all the top ones are extrovert and all the low ones are introvert makes this study highly suspect and extremely biased.

I think introverts might have a lot more emotional intelligence in terms of introspection, self-awareness, and restraint, where as the extroverts would have more socially-oriented (being outgoing, adaptable, etc.) intelligence.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, I took an online quiz I got a low score for the same reason. But what if a person is in complete denial about their emotions? Do they really deserve a high score for that? And just because they think they know what others are feeling doesn't mean they actually know.

Although, I do remember one test where you had to interpret scenarios and read facial expressions.
    This occurred to me as well...I'm not sure that denial, emotional repression, and confidence necessarily make a person emotionally intelligent.

It makes me wonder if what they're testing for is lack of emotional reactivity.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This occurred to me as well...I'm not sure that denial, emotional repression, and confidence necessarily make a person emotionally intelligent.

It makes me wonder if what they're testing for is lack of emotional reactivity.
    Yeah, its pretty weird.

As I read more it seems to have less to do with empathy and feeling, and more to do with command over emotions, both your own and others'. Psychopaths by this reckoning would have very high EI. This would make it a less valuable source of data on genuine people skills.

But then perhaps we aren't understanding its purpose properly.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    INFP's are especially interested in their own inner universe and that of the people important to them, thus not being good at "reading" strangers
    This is a common misconception about Fi, that's it's mainly about understanding self. The thing is, when examining the self, you're examining the inner landscape of a human. It's like, once you've dissected a frog, then you have a general understanding of what the inside of a frog looks like, and you can apply that general knowledge to all frogs. This is how Fi-doms grasp other people (and Ne particularly aids in imagining that which one has not experienced directly). This is also in-line with what Jung says about Fi appealing to the similarity of people internally, and how it is possible to communicate feeling to others & be understood, and by extension, I'd say able to understand others also.

Thanks to the relatively great internal (as well as external) similarity of the human being, this [communication of Fi feeling] can actually be achieved, although a form acceptable to feeling is extremely difficult to find...
    I know I am not the only INFP who has reported finding themselves the "therapist" to friends and strangers, including advising on things I've not experienced (ie. romantic relationships before I was ever in one) and seeing it work out well for the person. For people (particularly strangers) to feel at ease emotionally with you to open up about their private feelings & problems, to trust your insight, and for that insight to show a grasp of how people work, etc, is certainly a sign of emotional intelligence, IMO.

To me, someone who does not feel the weight & force of the nuances of emotion may not be so well-equipped to understand the vast array of human feeling in others. People who are quick to "manage" emotions are often quick to dismiss them in others, becoming impatient with anyone who doesn't "get over it" fast.

Anyway, I don't doubt ETJs are good at whatever the test measures, I just don't think it measures the whole of "emotional intelligence", just as IQ doesn't measure the whole spectrum of intellect (although I think it does a better job at what it does measure - an iNtuitive kind of intelligence).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, its pretty weird.

As I read more it seems to have less to do with empathy and feeling, and more to do with command over emotions, both your own and others'. Psychopaths by this reckoning would have very high EI. This would make it a less valuable source of data on genuine people skills.

But then perhaps we aren't understanding its purpose properly.
    I agree - sociopaths would score as very "emotionally intelligent" if command over controlling emotions and ability to charm others were the only criteria.

That isn't a valid measurement, IMO.