User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    How is EQ typically measured? I've never taken an official EQ test, just an online one. Just going by that though, it seems to me that a large chunk of it is self-reporting, which makes sense for Te-doms to score well on. They tend to be over-confident in their abilities. You can also answer the question with the "right" answer, or truly based on how you feel. I don't see emotional dishonesty as being a higher EQ, and yet it could score you higher.... When I've taken the test, I always choose what is honest, even if takes my score down for supposedly being prone to depression or whatever. I know the "correct" answer though.
    Yeah, I took an online quiz I got a low score for the same reason. But what if a person is in complete denial about their emotions? Do they really deserve a high score for that? And just because they think they know what others are feeling doesn't mean they actually know.

Although, I do remember one test where you had to interpret scenarios and read facial expressions.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

admittedly, i really hate many of these psychometric tests. who cares who's better? if you're satisfied with your relationships, then don't worry; if you're not, consider working on your interpersonal competency. i understand scorings to show you where you're doing well and where you're not doing so well, but why turn it into a bizarre competition between types?

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    How is EQ typically measured? I've never taken an official EQ test, just an online one. Just going by that though, it seems to me that a large chunk of it is self-reporting, which makes sense for Te-doms to score well on. They tend to be over-confident in their abilities. You can also answer the question with the "right" answer, or truly based on how you feel. I don't see emotional dishonesty as being a higher EQ, and yet it could score you higher.... When I've taken the test, I always choose what is honest, even if takes my score down for supposedly being prone to depression or whatever. I know the "correct" answer though.

EQ is going to be largely related to social values in some ways also, which extroverts & Je types will often adhere to more, but are these really the superior standards or healthier attitudes? Many a Fi-dom will say "no", they need heavy revision and are rather shallow in many ways. I think its much harder to measure than IQ, because there's less of a clear right/wrong on a test.
    so true. my ENTJ best friend thinks he's sensitive, empathetic and warm.

Edit: that being said, that's one thing I really like about ETJs. overconfidence is refreshing in a culture of increasing collectivism, low confidence and false humility. overconfident people may be a little dillusional at times, but they tend to get what they want, and I respect that in anyone

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think that study is whack. INFPs and ISFJs are 2 of the MOST emotionally intelligent types, not the least. vice versa for ENTJs and ESTJs.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^I dunno. I'm good at solving, mediating other people's emotional issues, not so good at solving my own problems. I think it has quite alot to do with being quite self sacrificial, and squishing down my feelings and emotions , to deal with others people's first. I leave my "own issues" until they can't be ignored thus sometimes coming across as slightly emotionally immature (especially when I'm throwing my toys out of the cot.) So it doesn't really surprise me. I imagine ISFJ's are the same and I love me some isfj's, but they don't always look after themselves either very well in the emotional stakes. I think some one with good EQ, would balance thier needs with other people's better.
    That's my guess any way.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

"Emotional intelligence means to be smart with feelings and examples of emotional intelligence are:

being able to recognize and manage your emotions appropriately
    being able to recognize and effectively deal with others’ emotions
    being able to motivate yourself and maintain successful relationships

In short, emotional intelligence is the skill of perceiving, understanding, and effectively managing emotions like anger, happiness, anxiety, optimism, humor, sadness, fear, shame, love.

research has shown that success is 80-90% attributable to emotional intelligence (EI), and only 10-20% to cognitive intelligence (IQ) - whether in your personal life or at work." (Here come the ENTJ and ESTJ's) LOL.

If you look at the following examples.. E's leading in EQ isnt a surprise. All examples include involvement in the external. "manage appropriately, effectively deal with others, maintain relations" ...
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

As I said in the "who is the smartest" thread, the answer is: entp. We are everything, the tree, the sky, the air your breath, you cant escape !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Some NFs think they have an almost psychic ability to read people's true motivations and intentions and why they're feeling how they are; unfortunately most of the time the other person is too polite to say "WTF are you going on about"
    Fixed your post.

MBTI describes preference not ability. I should start putting it in my sig or something, this is getting ridiculous. Although it's true that EI is one of the "abilities" that would be most correlated to preference. More than regular intelligence, I'd say.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I actually agree with Thompson's research. As an INFP, number 2 and 4 are my trouble spots since I will never manipulate someone's feelings to achieve an agenda (definitely a T sort of thing) nor do I have a good handle on controlling my emotions (again, another T oriented trait).
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    so true. my ENTJ best friend thinks he's sensitive, empathetic and warm.

Edit: that being said, that's one thing I really like about ETJs. overconfidence is refreshing in a culture of increasing collectivism, low confidence and false humility. overconfident people may be a little dillusional at times, but they tend to get what they want, and I respect that in anyone
    Since then do we have "increasingly low confidence"? I'd rather say it's something that stayed the same over the course of time. Also, if you study politics and history, it's quite clear that overconfident people usually do the most harm while getting relatively low backfire.

To the topic: Isn't MBTI more about how you HANDLE emotion rather about how good you are at recognizing them? So, the only reason why F's are often better at recognizing them is because they are more interested in them, thus spending more time on that behalf - If now a T is as interested as them, f.e. because he wants you do to something or to get something from you, what f.e. example ExTJ do quite frequently - They not only SHOULD be as good as them, they additionally should be more inclined to manipulate.. That way, the study is easy explainable - INFP's are especially interested in their own inner universe and that of the people important to them, thus not being good at "reading" strangers, while ExTJs are only interested in using the emotions - but this interest is relatively strong.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy