• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Smartest type.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm smart enough to know that this topic has been rehashed countless times. Do we really need another thread about this?

Most of it's just people talking back and forth. People who aren't at work today. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm smart enough to know that this topic has been rehashed countless times. Do we really need another thread about this?

The smartest type is the one that knows better than to create a thread about the smartest type. :smile:

After reading the first few posts, I actually interpreted the subject to mean,

"If you took a random sampling of every type, with similar upbringings, similar situations, and the same IQ, and gave them all the same teachers and books, who would generally do better in school?" (Which has been poorly worded as, "the smartest type") If we interpret it like that, the argument could almost remain civil. It would result in a discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of type rather than learning ability.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
After reading the first few posts, I actually interpreted the subject to mean,

"If you took a random sampling of every type, with similar upbringings, similar situations, and the same IQ, and gave them all the same teachers and books, who would generally do better in school?"
(Which has been poorly worded as, "the smartest type") If we interpret it like that, the argument could almost remain civil. It would result in a discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of type rather than learning ability.

That, too, has been re-hashed thousands of times.

I think it has been civil. Often times it appears that debates between T's are not civil, when in fact none of the T's are offended or upset. They're just throwing ideas around and challenging each other's assumptions a bit. That in itself (debating), creates learning.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That, too, has been re-hashed thousands of times.

I think it has been civil. Often times it appears that debates between T's are not civil, when in fact none of the T's are offended or upset. They're just throwing ideas around and challenging each other's assumptions a bit. That in itself (debating), creates learning.

Really? I guess I haven't seen a thread about type that does the best in school, only threads about generalized smarts. I've only seen "school smarts" brought up as a side topic. I don't claim to have read every thread, though. and yes, posts on that specific topic have always looked civil, which is why this thread also appears that it would stay that way.

Also, no way for the OP to know that the topic has been rehashed countless times. Need to run to work! I am interested to see what comes of the thread later.. (Or what doesn't come of the thread.)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I personally believe that until type theory can be related strongly to biology it will never determine which is more intelligent.

G

Glycerine

It really depends on what school you go to because I intuit the crap out of EVERYTHING and get fairly high marks,
EDIT:But then again, INTPs are supposedly the archetypal professor types.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think these three types are the smartest (INTJ, INTP, INFP), anyone agree with me?
According to a 2003 study the smartest type is INTJ and the dumbest ESFP, but that runs into inevitable flaws with self-reporting bias, mistypes (which occur somewhat amazingly frequently), badly written tests; and to boot I have no idea what the actual margin is.

So in short, we don't know.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Not sure, it highly depends on the topic I guess. I always think of SJ's as being the ones to have the stamina and will to sit in a classroom every day and follow through with all the tasks necessary to get the best grades. A lot of times I see SJ's doing the most accurate and correct thing that you're supposed to do to succeed. So, SJ's would naturally do best in school.

I'd put my stamp of approval on this statement.

My gift is memorization. I can read a text book and absorb it like a sponge. And fortunately for me... Our educational system rewards that ability. High school was a breeze and undergrad wasn't too bad either.

The problem I am running into in Graduate school is... Professors spend more time asking you to extrapolate your own ideas from information that is presented... Or asking you, "Ok, so your textbook told you that when X happens, Y does this. Now can you tell me WHY you think that happens?" That's where I hit a speedbump.

One of my chemistry professors keeps stressing that we MUST understand how/why mechanisms act the way they do, because we won't be able to memorize 450 different reactions. My response.... "Wanna bet?" *Patches proceeds to make 450 flash cards*.

I don't know if other ISTJ's process information the same way I do, but I wouldn't really refer to it as 'smart'. More like a computer. Insert data, and I can repeat it back to you whenever you request it. But I can't make up new data out of thin air.

rav3n

I don't know if other ISTJ's process information the same way I do, but I wouldn't really refer to it as 'smart'. More like a computer. Insert data, and I can repeat it back to you whenever you request it. But I can't make up new data out of thin air.
This is much like my ex-husband (ISTJ). He could recall stats, every detail learned in school, was fantastic at memorizing formulas, could spit anything out verbatim. And yet when it came to synthesizing information into a new conceptual whole, had difficulties doing it and got frustrated.

We used to have these discussions about [insert topic] where he'd want to talk about the here and now, as it related to "tried and true" and I'd want to discuss the possibilities. We'd both get annoyed after awhile since it appeared he wouldn't budge. In retrospect, it wasn't wouldn't, it was couldn't.