• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Weaknesses of iNtuitives seen through Sensing Eyes

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Hi there!

For years I have been wanting to find some good Sensate criticisms of iNtuitives. But I never really have. Here we have, for the first time, to my knowledge, a good critique from an obviously intelligent Sensate. Please take a look:

http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2011/03/sensingintuition/

Are you more interested in straightforward facts than in flighty theory and philosophy? Do you prefer action, and constant activity in your life? Are you primarily interested in results? Then you are probably Sensing.

On the other hand, if you would rather discuss ideas and abstract concepts, and ignore immediate events, then chances are that you might also find the sports channel boring. Likewise, if you have a hard time remembering the colour of the building outside your window, or where you put those important tax documents, then you might be iNtuitive.

And be sure to discuss it in this thread :) Of course, the cirticism isn't perfect or exhaustive, but I found it stimulating, never the less.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Duh. We know what our weaknesses are...we lose our car keys, don't remember what kind of car "that dude" was driving, couldn't tell you for the life of us exactly what happened at the scene of the crime (though we know the crime took place and already have theories on the motive)...

This isn't exactly ground-breaking news. We hear it our entire lives, or simply have a self-awareness of it.

Anyway...

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
from the article said:
Despite the fact that it is impossible to determine with 100% certainty whether a given person is S or N, you will none the less find dozens of threads on http://www.typologycentral.com that eagerly discuss whether a given celebrity is S or N. Typology Central is of course, an N-dominated website, for what sane Senser would bother to waste his time on this?

lol.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Marmie Dearest youre just being negative because the author called you on your love of TOP GUN as a homo-erotic drama.

As a concrete example of the difference between S and N, let us imagine that an S and an N goes to the movies to see Top Gun. After they have seen the movie they are each asked to give an account of what it was about. The S type will say that Top Gun is about a bunch of elite pilots undergoing military training and eventually they end up fighting the Russians. But the N type will say that Top Gun is a homo-erotic love drama.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think this guy is specifically referring to annoying INTP grad students who see whatever they want to see in other people's films, literature, and poems.

:wink:

G

garbage

In my opinion you should strive to master the positive elements of both Sensing and iNtuition.

more people should actually try this, yeah

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh:

it's sort of true though, i'd say the average N - especially NP or INJ - is fairly aware of their reality-removal-weaknesses. i suspect part of why the whole stupid "N superiority" thing arose is that because given internet forums, where one does not have to deal much with Sensing if one does not choose to (as opposed to, you know, real life), some especially reality-impaired Ns rejoiced at their newfound relative lack of ineptitude, and promptly deluded themselves into thinking that "more competent than before" could equal "more competent than others".

don't be silly though, mr. article writer, EPs of all varieties like S birthday parties :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh:

it's sort of true though, i'd say the average N - especially NP or INJ - is fairly aware of their reality-removal-weaknesses. i suspect part of why the whole stupid "N superiority" thing arose is that because given internet forums, where one does not have to deal much with Sensing if one does not choose to (as opposed to, you know, real life), some especially reality-impaired Ns rejoiced at their newfound relative lack of ineptitude, and promptly deluded themselves into thinking that "more competent than before" could equal "more competent than others".

don't be silly though, mr. article writer, EPs of all varieties like S birthday parties :)

Agreed... you don't meet many N's like this in life though. I think they stay in their houses. I guess I don't have any particular beef with N's... If I think of a few specific N's I can come up with traits that I don't like about them, that happen to be N related... But I don't see any outstanding patterns as an entire group.

xisnotx

Permabanned
A big weakness of N..

1. iNtuitives see pattern that may or may not be there..then give significance to those patterns...and then wonder why they got burned when things didn't go as expected.
1. iNtuitives see patterns...try to explain to other people what these patterns are..and get labeled as crazy..leaving said iNtuitive in state of complete confusion.

or maybe that's just me..

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey, take it easy.

lulz omg it was a joke

I was an English Lit major and sometimes got annoyed with the interpretations I read in graduate-level literary analysis because some of it seemed like utter projection rather than analysis of what was there. It's artistic interpretation, of course, but it's highly subjective.

I don't think everyone in grad school is an INTP, either. Fun typology stereotypes!

JOKE * JOKE * JOKE * JOKE

S

Sniffles

As a concrete example of the difference between S and N, let us imagine that an S and an N goes to the movies to see Top Gun. After they have seen the movie they are each asked to give an account of what it was about. The S type will say that Top Gun is about a bunch of elite pilots undergoing military training and eventually they end up fighting the Russians. But the N type will say that Top Gun is a homo-erotic love drama.
Well gee I must be a Sensor, although I've always wondered who exactly they were fighting, and they certainly were not Russians unless WWIII was underway. No it obviously had to be a Russian client state in the Indian Ocean area, and well there's several potential answers to that. Sorry for being oblivious to those homo-erotic themes.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's because you're an ISFJ Peguy. :cheese:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A big weakness of N..

1. iNtuitives see pattern that may or may not be there..then give significance to those patterns...and then wonder why they got burned when things didn't go as expected.
1. iNtuitives see patterns...try to explain to other people what these patterns are..and get labeled as crazy..leaving said iNtuitive in state of complete confusion.

or maybe that's just me..

Yea, you're right. Except from a sensor's point of view, sometimes it appears as if N's can make huge assumptive jumps in logic that may or may not be true. And when those jumps are not true, it's annoying.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/2011/03/sensingintuition/ said:
IF the iNtuives could actually manage to implement ideas from their abstract thoughts into their concrete daily lives, then their elitism might actually be justified. But this is where the weakness of iNtuitives becomes apparent.
The author must not know any NTJs.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually think it's pretty fucking presumptuous for him to presume that Ns of many types (not just NTJs) don't implement our abstract ideas into our daily lives.

I agree on many points, but not that one. It just seems like the prejudice of an excessively practical ISTJ.