• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Weaknesses of iNtuitives seen through Sensing Eyes

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see the point of saying S or N is superior to one another when in actuality, they are just different modes of processing information. Both have their strengths and limitations. If both work together as a team, they can counterbalance each other to achieve a desired result.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I always know where I put my tax documents.

S

Sniffles

I don't see the point of saying S or N is superior to one another when in actuality, they are just different modes of processing information. Both have their strengths and limitations. If both work together as a team, they can counterbalance each other to achieve a desired result.

This simple point is pretty much made in every MBTI/Typology related book I've read.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep.

Although S and N are preferences, not strengths and weaknesses. So losing keys and so on is a sign of absent-mindedness, not being N. :)

Jaguar

Se deals with untainted, objective facts and what can be proven; reality as it is. One of the things Ni does is deconstruct present realities and use familiar patterns to speculate about future realities. Together Se/Ni might be like, "what I know to be real + what can also form reality or develop into reality as a result of that".

The + is what is crucial. What I envision via my inner world, I make real in the outer world. Ni+Se are married: Till death do they part. These two tandem descriptions from Dario Nardi work quite well for me, and may work well for many others.

Introverted Intuiting
We can get impressive results using introverted Intuiting in tandem with extraverted Sensing. We might try out various tangible experiences and activities to catalyze realizations for growth. The more varied and undigested experiences one has, the more material there is for the unconscious to draw upon. We might look inward to envision how we can transform something, then gather data and take actions to realize that goal—to make real what is envisioned. For example, we might visualize how people will one day journey into space, and then take the actions necessary to design and build a spaceship to accomplish that goal. This might take many years of action, including activities to sustain the vision. Another tandem relationship involves engaging in a physical activity so that body, mind, and environment merge to become one, perhaps experiencing a great sense of calm or energy.

Extraverted Sensing

We can get powerful results using extraverted Sensing in tandem with introverted Intuiting. We can be very tuned in to the surrounding environment, with anticipation of what’s coming next. We may constantly read our industry’s current news to be sure to catch the next wave of innovations. Or we can engage people in fun activities, drawing them out and helping them transform themselves. We might pull a shy person onto the dance floor, convinced that there is an inner dancer waiting to be released; that person experiences his or her potential firsthand. Or we might shape the current context to what we envision it can be, like a sculptor who can “see” the final statue within a chunk of marble and sculpts everything else away to get to it.

All of the processes used in tandem can be found by scrolling down the page, here:

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/8keys.html

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
is ni more connected to reality? is it intuition based on what could or will happen with what is rather than the "what" is happening and why and what it means?

Lady X, I see it as having something to do with Te and Fe being paired with Ni. Te is focused on the organization/directing of its environment which sort of requires it to be focused on its surroundings. Fe is similar, just maybe more people oriented. Se is self explanatory. Ne, on the other hand, focuses in large part on ideas and concepts and connections. It kind of has it's head in the clouds so to speak. Ni is probably similar (head in clouds to a certain extent), but it's paired with Te in the primary (ENTJ) or aux position (INTJ). NTP's, on the other hand, have Ne (head in clouds) and Ti (focused inwardly) - makes it kind of hard to be in tune with the outside environment. On top of that, Si is internal as well.

You NFP's have Ne (head in clouds) with Fi (focused inwardly), so it's pretty much the same predicament. Te probably helps you guys a little bit.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi everyone, I'm Blackwater's co-admin. :bye: Since he's apparently not following up on the thread, I just want to satisfy people's curiosity and clear a few things up:

- The text is hosted on our site because Blackwater finds the text stimulating, as he says in the OP.
- The text is not written by either one of us, but by a friend of ours.
- We have a wide social circle where *everyone* knows about MBTI and talks about type. The author has years of experience with lots of iNtuitives and lots of Sensers in such a highly type-aware environment.*
- That said, the blame for most of the resentment including the stab at celebrity typing goes to yours truly. :redface:

* I'm not sure if the link works for everyone; it's supposed to be to post #206 in my blog.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My recommendation comes not from some disgusted, knee-jerk dissatisfaction with MBTI, but from having studied a few different systems and formulated my own worldview that hazily incorporate pieces of them. In this one particular case, an explanation from Socionics might have something to offer--"Se as role function" was especially poignant to me. But, believe you me, I know that Socionics has its own terrible problems.

This is exactly how I view things (which is part of what drove that "Bonus challenge" thread). However, we need to have some common terminology or understanding to even be able to have a meaningful discussion in the first place.

So, we've got our own personal "truths," part of which we have to compromise in order to be able to bring to the surface and share with others. Ah, well.

You're right of course.

When I first came in contact with mbti or even earlier when I read Jung, I thought that categorizing and typing people is ridicoulus and impossible. I still think that. What I was intrested in back then was the concept of Intuition. Everything else the theory presented was not too new for me, but the concept of intuition really was a missing piece to my puzzle and it made a lot of pictures clearer for the first time. At least it was a relief to me so I would knew that I am not crazy.

I lately had an introspective insight about myself. Those things are rare with me so I value em. I've before mbti always identified myself with people who left an impression with me. I did that via saying "I am totally like that guy". I even got in troubles with that later cause I found two guys hilarious, yet they contradicted each other with the things they said. I tho was very much sucked up in the process of not being me but trieing to be somebody else.

Then came mbti and after 2-3 years now, I have to say there happened another bad thing. Mbti taught me to see that basically everybody is different. Nowadays I am for example looking at my boss, thinking he's an estj and then I think with my type I'll never get into a position like his. I've totally lost it to evaluate the system on a communal level rather than on an individual level. Meaning everybody who is capable of doing the work and working his way up will get like the past does tell us, at time into the position of my boss. This has nothing to do with what kind of individual my boss is not at all.

It's a topic that is difficult to explain for me, I am an engineer, I have no clue about psychology. I know that mbti has given me something and I value that, still I will not try to relay everything that happens between humans into this system, to find any explanation. I'll try to make my own interpretation and call that my explanation. Of course this will be wrong most times but that is what makes one human.

I really like the idea of mbti being an instrument of communication and one that brings you close to other perspectives to view the world, but this has its limits. I think at one point you have to say goodbye mbti system, I'll now start to think on my own, using the ideas you gave me. If you dont do that, but instead try to relay everything forever into the system, you are living in a fantasy world. And what's even worse, you are categorizing every human being and fileing them in your cabinet and I am afraid that attitude, tho I am way outa line here, can lead you eventually worst case to become incapable of becoming close with anyone ever again.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Who wrote it, you ask? The author wants to protect his career in academia, where he or she is surrounded by iNtuitives. So just enjoy the prose :)

Jaguar

I think at one point you have to say goodbye mbti system, I'll now start to think on my own, using the ideas you gave me. If you dont do that, but instead try to relay everything forever into the system, you are living in a fantasy world. And what's even worse, you are categorizing every human being and fileing them in your cabinet and I am afraid that attitude, tho I am way outa line here, can lead you eventually worst case to become incapable of becoming close with anyone ever again.

Sehr gut. That's one of the best posts I've seen in this forum.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Who wrote it, you ask? The author wants to protect his career in academia, where he or she is surrounded by iNtuitives. So just enjoy the prose :)

Hey! You changed your type to ERTP.

Does that mean you're using those Intermediate letters that I invented so long ago, and R stands for "Realist"? :wink:

If so, thanks!

Anyway... yeah, I kind of got that impression myself. Who can blame him for wanting to do that? Especially when you get to be surrounded by like-minded people.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is how i think of it:

its not lesser Se, its Ne Si instead of true Se.

what i mean by true Se, is like Se coming straight to conscious. when Ne users use external perception, the details and other "Se" stuff goes to unconscious and is processed by unconscious to seek for connections etc. and these connections come to conscious mind. Also Ne users use Si, Si is your subjective impressions(these impressions are created unconsciously) about the objective reality(objective reality being Se), so Si also is kind of unconscious processing of Se. since you perceive the Se via unconscious, form your impression about it unconsciously, and this impression comes to conscious mind. also Si is about comparing the current subjective impression(that comes from unconscious Se) to those subjective impressions created in the past, comparison is done again by the unconscious, but the results come to conscious mind.

for types that are "true" Se users, they perceive the objective reality consciously, now if you perceive Se consciously, you cant really do any Ne or Si to it, because those functions work fundamentally in the unconscious. but Ni on the other hand works with already internalized information that is formed consciously, its kind of unconscious re-perceiving and what is perceived again can be originally perceived purely by conscious mind.

also when a type that uses Ne is looking at some object the concentration automatically goes to the whole object and then you can look into details if you choose to, but when Se user is looking at some object he sees the details of the object first and then forms an understanding of the whole object.

that's interesting, thanks.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Hey! You changed your type to ERTP.

Does that mean you're using those Intermediate letters that I invented so long ago, and R stands for "Realist"? :wink:

If so, thanks!

Anyway... yeah, I kind of got that impression myself. Who can blame him for wanting to do that? Especially when you get to be surrounded by like-minded people.

No :) - I am alluding to *my* alternative letters, where R stands for reflective and Sensing is called intuitive. :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not always taking action, forgetful, fanciful, abstract, at best confused, at worst insane...what isn't there to know about intuitive weaknesses.

However, taking too much action, being narrow-minded, unimaginative, at best stuck in a set way of life and at worst barbaric....well, well all know of sensing weaknesses. There are pros and cons to all types...why would one so actively seek out an insulting review of intuitives?

I could equally bash both types- and just as equally raise great points.