• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and Writing Style

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Has anyone else noticed a certain style of writing compared to certain types? Like typically, some types tend to be more terse or serious, while others type essay length ideas or are silly.

S

Sniffles

Depends. Speaking for myself, I tend to write in a manner more suited to essays as opposed to treatises. I've heard this common for Ni-doms, whose thinking style tends to be fragmentary and aphoristic by nature.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Peguy
Depends. Speaking for myself, I tend to write in a manner more suited to essays as opposed to treatises. I've heard this common for Ni-doms, whose thinking style tends to be fragmentary and aphoristic by nature.

That's what I've typically noticed about INFJ's too, there is an apparant essay style/neatness to how they write. ENFP's though tend to be a little more scattered and energetic in their word choice, NT's tend to post entire books when they are discussing ideas or intellectual subjects.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I totally do. It makes me think I roll INFP.

Infact, reading through a bunch of old threads last night, I stumbled across predominantly INFP threads.. and almost every single post written by an INFP was written in a manner, using wordage, and coming from an angle that I personally would use. I'm not saying that all INFP's agree on ideas, infact... oddly.. when an INFP disagrees with a value of mine, it tends to grate on me more so than any other type I've disagreed with. Isn't that strange? It's almost as if I can follow the INFP's process and communication SO well, that when the finality of that Fi judgment hits, and is different than mine, it bugs.

I follow ENFP's as well, but I have noticed somewhat of a difference in communication and angle. I can't succinctly explain this though. The INFP writing or catch phrases that really stick out, to me, are things like
"Personally," "But thats just my opinion," etc. I RARELY see INFP's go to blows with people on forums. They will state their perception (always clarifying it is their perception) and when disagreed with be extremely diplomatic in their rebuttal. If another party punches low, throwing out some bizarre personal attack, I see INFP's typically bow out. I also see this as more of a "not willing to drop to this lowly state of attack" than a "can't defend my stance" issue. It's just not worth it to the INFP.

ENFP's on the other hand, are much more likely to stand their ground, take a personal attack and kick one back, or call someone right out on being a douche. There is usually a playful, sometimes arrogant feel to the ENFPs writing. When the ENFP is being challenged, there is an incredibley hard-nosed, stubborn vibe to the writing. I can almost feel the ENFP shove that Fi way down.. and pull out the Te bitch slap. The ENFP will be strong and somewhat logical, but not ALL their reasoning flows with logic, so it makes them more susceptible to others critiques.

INFJ's move with Ni well in their posts, sticking to a fairly close proximity of topic, but going deeper, and deeper. Essay style. INFJs will analyze every detail of a scenario.

ENTPs usually have clever one liners. A brief, yet signifigant summary. I get the impression that ENTPs post more so for their own amusement than info gathering. I rarely see ENTPs stick around if discussions go too deep, or become "ugly." I also rarely see ENTP's insult other members, always holding to a charming or playful vibe.

INTPs will sometimes have a strikingly similar writing style to that of the INFP, yet their angle is logical. I notice that alot of INFPs will comment or feed off an INTPs analysis, in agreeance, and visca versa.

When an INTJ posts, they usually tackle the very root of the topic. Clear and unwaivering. Succint. Their mind is made up. Posts are saturated with such a logic and confidance that even if they are wrong, they are rarely challenged. And if they are challenged, they could care less. These are the ones that make everyone else second guess themselves. =)

ENTJs are bold in their posts. They could care less for the topic at hand, but if challenged they will always fight back.

Anyhow, like an INFP might say, this is *my take* on some writing styles *I've observed.* :blush:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone else noticed a certain style of writing compared to certain types? Like typically, some types tend to be more terse or serious, while others type essay length ideas or are silly.

(You mean posting style?) I like how a lot of the INTP's write on here. They are often exacting, articulate, thoughtful, and to the point. They often have something new to offer.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I have noticed a bit of this. It's one of the reasons I'm still on the borderline now. Looking at the xNxPs, I've noticed more playfulness and one-liners from the extraverts and a little more fomality from the introverts. I have also noticed that regardless of I/E, the Ts will go into great depth when something seems impersonally wrong and the same for Fs if something is wrong and personal.

So, these are some slight trends that I might have picked up:

INTP--> sometimes playful but sometimes formal, and in great depth when correcting or defining something. Good at precise with details.
ENTP--> playfulness is more of a theme, less often a formal or serious approach, but can go in great depth when correcting or defining something. Good at precise one-liners.
INFP--> sometimes playful but sometimes formal, and in great richness of words when speaking of what is valued. Good at painting a picture with words.
ENFP--> more 'upliftingness' runs through, but goes into a lot of depth and a serious sort of passion when determining values. Good at passion and big picture.

And if I am right about any of this, I should really be ENTP. But I'm not ready to take rough evaluations on writing style that seriously :p

rav3n

ENTJs are bold in their posts. They could care less for the topic at hand, but if challenged they will always fight back.
Fight back? It's not necessarily a "fight back" attitude although aggression or bluntness can be construed as fighting. Or we're being friendly by responding.

And there are enough times where if the individual isn't worth our while, we won't bother since they've become invisible. Or we agree with the challenge so there's no need to return the challenge.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by shortnsweet
(You mean posting style?)

Exactly. Like I've always noticed that NT's tend to be very formal and anayltical, as well as INFJ's too. ENFP's and ESFP's tend to be a little more terse, yet more energetic.

G

Glycerine

ENFJs tend to be short and to the point unless something really interests us. :)

A

Anew Leaf

I have noticed a difference in writing styles between NTs and NFs so far as writing literature goes.

For instance I feel confident that Neil Gaimen is some sort of INTX. I enjoy his unique perspective but I feel like there is a lack of emotion with his characters. This disconnect usually keeps me from fully immersing into his works.

Whereas if I read an NF book, I am much more drawn into the book and characters.

I dated an ENTP for a number of years and we both are writers. It was interesting to both of us to see our wildly different approaches on characters and plot. His stories were extremely strange with a bent on being offensive to anyone he could offend and usually pretty funny. The flip side being he had terrible transitions between thoughts and stayed as far away from "happy" feelings as he could.

Neil Gaiman's got crazy Ne. I'm tempted to go with INTP for him.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFP = Emily Bronte
INFJ = Charlotte Bronte

I find it interesting as an NFP that I relate much more intensely to the writings of the INFP Bronte sister. I think preferences for content and structure could even be affected by the functions.

I dunno, I'm too tired at the moment to think about it much more than that at the moment. I've been told that people can see Si and Te in my posts, but that Ne comes up constantly in the form of "what if" type questioning scenarios and bizarre non-sequitrs.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I notice that Ni types are generally less long-winded than Ne types when it comes to forum posting. Extroverts are more likely to turn threads into social exchanges and introverts seem more likely to stay on-topic & explore it deeper.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INFP = Emily Bronte
INFJ = Charlotte Bronte

I find it interesting as an NFP that I relate much more intensely to the writings of the INFP Bronte sister. I think preferences for content and structure could even be affected by the functions.
I usually adore NFP writers, but in this case I prefer Charlotte over Emily. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I usually adore NFP writers, but in this case I prefer Charlotte over Emily. :)

I think Emily Bronte was a genius. It's not just darkness for the sake of darkness - I think she had an incredible abstract understanding of human nature and why people do what they do. I'm not sure she was in sync with her times or if she believed in "evil" because most people didn't understand Wuthering Heights when it was published and thought it was immoral. Even now some people don't seem to grasp that it's not a romance novel advocating wife beating and cruelty. Emily Bronte examined *why* broken people are the way they are, saw them as human and told their stories, no matter how messy, instead of demonizing them. She also made it funny, I have yet to see a cinematic version that does real justice to her black humor.

Charlotte Bronte is okay, I mean she's a good story teller, but she kind of bores me. On the other hand, Wuthering Heights is in my top five favorite works of fiction of all time, actually more like top three, and sometimes I would say number one...but that's a constantly shifting position, it's hard for me to say THIS! THIS WORK OF LITERATURE IS DEFINITIVELY SUPERIOR TO ALL OTHERS!

I really love Pushkin and Goethe and Henry Miller too much to try to decide like that...Emily Bronte's characters are very real to me, and that means something, which is why I'm tempted to leave it in the top spot.

/ramble

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Emily Bronte was a genius. It's not just darkness for the sake of darkness - I think she had an incredible abstract understanding of human nature and why people do what they do. I'm not sure she was in sync with her times or if she believed in "evil" because most people didn't understand Wuthering Heights when it was published and thought it was immoral. Even now some people don't seem to grasp that it's not a romance novel advocating wife beating and cruelty. Emily Bronte examined *why* broken people are the way they are, saw them as human and told their stories, no matter how messy, instead of demonizing them. She also made it funny, I have yet to see a cinematic version that does real justice to her black humor.

Charlotte Bronte is okay, I mean she's a good story teller, but she kind of bores me.

I think Emily was more talented in an artistic sense, but I enjoy Charlotte's novels better & definitely think she had interesting ideas to convey. Wuthering Heights has more artistic merit to me than it is a pleasure to read. That style of writing dialect speech for some characters grates on my nerves a LOT. I also find the characters totally unlikable, but that in itself garners my respect (they're the opposite of Mary Sues).

I agree on their typings though.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh, don't get me wrong, I so agree with you here. Awesome succinct analysis BTW :yes:

I think Emily was more talented in an artistic sense, but I enjoy Charlotte's novels better & definitely think she had interesting ideas to convey. Wuthering Heights has more artistic merit to me than it is a pleasure to read. That style of writing dialect speech for some characters grates on my nerves a LOT. I also find the characters totally unlikable, but that in itself garners my respect (they're the opposite of Mary Sues).

I agree on their typings though.
THIS

Stop it will you. Its rude to constantly steal people's thoughts and claim them as your own... :dry:

:smile:

G

Glycerine

So I was wondering if this seemed like classic ENFJ (in the writing style) just for the fun of it.
It is about Camus and the absurd.

Albert Camus
Camus’ passage from the book, The Myth of Sisyphus discusses what constitutes an absurd life. First, an “absence of hope (which has nothing to do with despair)” must exist. Next, one must have a “continual rejection (which must not be confused with renunciation)”. Then, one must have “conscious dissatisfaction (which must not be compared with immature unrest”. In all these requirements, there lies an undercurrent of detaching one’s self from having expectations and gaining freedom. For example, if one does not have hope or despair about a specific outcome (ex. who won the football game?), then he becomes an objective participant with no expectations. Without expectations, a person frees himself to create whatever reality suits him while still acknowledging the main reality (this applies to the other requirements of continual rejection and conscious dissatisfaction). In other words, the person lives in the moment and let goes of any attachment to a situation in order to control his own destiny. Ironically, even though a person liberates himself from having a purpose (an attachment) in life, the freedom to choose his own path gives him a reason to live. As a result, the will to live should solely come from one’s self and not from anything external such as the concern for others or aiming to become the next Bill Gates. However, if anything “destroys, conjures away, or exorcises these requirements”, then people will fall into the trappings of the main reality, get attached to situations (ex. becoming hopeful or full of despair), could potentially fight for hopeless causes and/or commit suicide (which Camus considers to be the serious philosophical problem). This would lead to the downfall of the absurd. Although Camus’ absurdist philosophy has a depressing tone to it, it probably gave people of war-torn France a way to cope with the atrocities occurring in their country and all over Europe. It also holds relevance today and to the future because we will always have struggles.