• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most "genuine" type?

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Self-explanatory. What type, generally, is the least pretentious? By pretentious, I mean "trying too hard" to do something; putting "sophisticated" books in your facebook "favorite books" section that you haven't read, having lectures on your iphone that you only listen to when other people are around, etc. Pretentiousness is not just intellectual; a person like Dr. Dre is pretentious in relation to Eazy E because Dr. Dre went to an expensive private school but raps about being a gangster whilst Eazy E "keeps it real".

I've written about this before but I still can't clearly define what I'm talking about. I have a really visceral negative reaction to "pretentiousness" (In quotes because it's the closest word to describe it) and it's a quality I can detect within 10 seconds of meeting someone or reading a paragraph of their text on forums. Another way to supplement this description would be a lack of self-awareness; being totally oblivious to how they are being perceived.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJ, INFP, ISTP or ISFP

The_World_As_Will

Hmm, honestly, I don't think there is one. Every type has the ability to try too hard, whether it be INTPs being logic whores, or ENFPs seeking attention, or ESFPs being the life of the party... Of course these are vast generalisations, but idk, I don't think it's a type-related thing honestly.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I know ESFPs and ESFJs are among the most pretentious; the ones I'm familiar with are always exaggerating everything and expecting others to care about their stupid bullshit.

The_World_As_Will

I know ESFPs and ESFJs are among the most pretentious; the ones I'm familiar with are always exaggerating everything and expecting others to care about their stupid bullshit.

tell them to fuck off?, yeah honestly no one wants to hear their shit, especially if they go on and on ugh :/

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe ISFPs? Is this archetypal ISFP behavior or more INFP? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThQr8fDiLA (Regardless, they should be sterilized.)

Seems "NiTi" to me. :thumbdown:

Introverted Feeling Types tend to internalize feelings & emotions, so such overt, dramatic displays would be more out of character than "archetypal".

And yes, I'm going to give the PC answer, but its because I believe it: a person of any type can be a big phony.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess

Man, you really have it out for ESFP's, don't you? One of them steal your lunch money or something? Shove you in a locker?

Every type is capable of being dishonest. Every type is capable of putting up a "front" based on how they wish other to perceive them. In fact, I would argue that most people do. It may not be as blatantly false as listing books you have never read on your Facebook page... but we're all guilty of it to a degree.

For example, when most people talk to a potential employer.... They rarely reveal their entire selves to the employer. They will put forward the traits that are most valued by that employer - likely painting themselves as responsible, hard working, diligent, etc. They will hide traits that make them seem like a bad employee. Isn't this, in a sense, 'being fake' just as you describe?

Imagine how you act around your parents, versus how you act around your friends. Most people probably act quite differently. Thats because we choose to 'display' those traits that the people around us will respond most positively toward. Everyone exaggerates traits. Everyone hides traits. It's normal.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
But what's "phoniness" linked to? Maturity? Wisdom? The archetypal "wise old man", "sage" type character is the model of "genuineness" that I'm trying to convey. Intelligence? Probably not; there seems to be a laffer curve-type thing going on in the >100 IQ range that apexes at about 120 (IQ is sort of bullshit, so let's imagine I'm talking about what would be actual intelligence in representative numerical form) with the y axis being pretentiousness and the x axis being IQ.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Your type, Perch. Your type is the most genuine.

Sunny Ghost

ISTJ, INFP, ISTP or ISFP
No... I've met some pretentious INFP's, ISFP's and ISTP's before. However, I've yet to meet a pretentious ISTJ or ISFJ. I'm debating on INTJ, too. The INTJ's I know in real life are quite intelligent and attracted to intelligence in their books and movies, etc... and so aren't really putting up a front when acknowledging their like for such things.

Yeah, I'm going to lean towards IxxJ types as being the least pretentious.

Maybe ISFPs? Is this archetypal ISFP behavior or more INFP? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VThQr8fDiLA (Regardless, they should be sterilized.)
:doh: this is sooo not how i would react.

Seems "NiTi" to me. :thumbdown:

Introverted Feeling Types tend to internalize feelings & emotions, so such overt, dramatic displays would be more out of character than "archetypal".

And yes, I'm going to give the PC answer, but its because I believe it: a person of any type can be a big phony.
agreed with the bolded. though some Fi types may seem "pretentious" by displaying a certain taste for things on facebook, we're not likely to make a display like this. i mean, sure, we cry sometimes... but Fi strives to be genuine in their emotions, and will often hold back as it will make our emotions seem more fake and definitely less genuine when displayed outwardly.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any introvert, really. We don't tend to push anything on others because we don't like the same treatment.

As far as the ESFJ/ESFP stuff...it's not as big a deal as they show it to be. They just want someone to commiserate with. That's all.

Sunny Ghost

But what's "phoniness" linked to? Maturity? Wisdom? The archetypal "wise old man", "sage" type character is the model of "genuineness" that I'm trying to convey. Intelligence? Probably not; there seems to be a laffer curve-type thing going on in the >100 IQ range that apexes at about 120 (IQ is sort of bullshit, so let's imagine I'm talking about what would be actual intelligence in representative numerical form) with the y axis being pretentiousness and the x axis being IQ.
maturity. and insecurity. imo. it's the need to impress and to seem better than.

A

A window to the soul

Like OMG! -gags- Who cries over a damn tree?? That's not Fi or Fe, that's wet behind the ears melodrama. :laugh:

Hmm, honestly, I don't think there is one. Every type has the ability to try too hard, whether it be INTPs being logic whores, or ENFPs seeking attention, or ESFPs being the life of the party... Of course these are vast generalisations, but idk, I don't think it's a type-related thing honestly.

^ I agree with that.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENFP's, cause saying that helps boost my ego! :biggrin: And 4w3, cause no one get more authentic than that (or at least 4 anyway).

Or whatever Holden Caulfield's type is, as he is the ultimate hater of phonies.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think that types play out phoniness in different ways...
it'd actually probably be easier to describe this in enneagram terms...

1s pretend like they're good
2s pretend like they're needed
3s pretend like they're successful
4s pretend like they're different
5s pretend like they're competent
6s pretend like they're safe
7s pretend like they're happy
8s pretend like they're strong
9s pretend like they're content

the truth is that we are all of these things... when we become afraid that we have lost one, we seek it, and in seeking it we ironically separate ourselves from it, because we do not trust it...

phoniness betrays fear.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Anybody can be pretentious. An STJ or NTJ could care about "the finer things in life" and an NFP or SFJ or SFP could be like artistically pretentious.

I don't think there's such a thing as a least pretentious type, there are just least pretentious people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENFP's, cause saying that helps boost my ego! :biggrin: And 4w3, cause no one get more authentic than that (or at least 4 anyway).

Or whatever Holden Caulfield's type is, as he is the ultimate hater of phonies.

Well ENFPs can embarrass the hell out of themselves thanks to being so genuine, but I still think ENFPs could be pretentious or fake about something, potentially.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think anybody who's comfortable with their own type is not really going to be pretentious. It's usually insecurity which fuels a desire to prove themselves and others wrong. I know that's kind of a stock answer, but I believe it's the truth.