Thread: Jungian functions and the brain

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Default Jungian functions and the brain

I've been reading a lot on neuroscience and neuroanatomy lately and the 8 functions seem to be associated with particular regions of the brain.

Each cerebral hemisphere is divided in into 4 lobes; Frontal, Parietal, Temporal and Occipital. The frontal lobes are the home of the motor cortex, where voluntary movements are triggered. The parietal lobes are the home of the somatosensory (touch and body position) cortex, the temporal lobes are the home of the auditory (sound) cortex, and the occipital lobes are the home of the visual cortex; these are where sensory information is first processed. This suggests a basic split between action (T/F) in the front and perception (S/N) in the back.

In the areas not part of motor or sensory cortex ares the areas of association cortex, where sensory data is analyzed and compared with one's memories and factual knowledge and then manipulated and sent to the motor cortex. It is these association areas, IMO, in which where we can find the neurological correlations of Jung's functions. The association areas are the pre-frontal cortex (PFC), the parietal association cortex (PAC) and the temporal association cortex (TAC). The the pre-frontal cortex can be further divided into the dorsal-lateral (top) PFC and orbital-frontal (bottom) PFC.

PFC: Planning, self-control, manipulating mental images, motivation, short-term memory

PAC: analyzing incoming sensory information in terms of spatial relationships between entities in real or abstract space. (often called "where" processing)

TAC: analyzing incoming sensory information in relation to past experience, categories, and factual knowledge. (often called "what" processing)

Finally, there is an asymmetry in the function of the two hemispheres. The left hemisphere is more focused and literal while the right hemisphere more gestalt and broad. If you are shown a picture of a cow the left hemisphere would generate associations closed centered on the cow itself while the right hemisphere would generate associations of a more broad character, like drinking milk this morning, memories of growing up on a farm, etc. This suggests a dichotomy of F and N on the right and T and S on the left.

Thus:

Ti = Left Dorsal-Lateral PFC

Fi = Right Dorsal-Lateral PFC

Te = Left Orbital-Frontal PFC

Fe = Right Orbital-Frontal PFC

Si = Left TAC

Ni = Right TAC

Se = Left PAC

Ne = Right PAC
    Autistic INFP

Fascinating... thanks.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I typically test as a rather left-brained person. Do you think that perhaps I'm not really an NF, then? I do admit, the thing I find most confusing about people is when they process things in a diffuse, general way... especially if they hold me to a standard based on such a perception.

Is there more information about these areas of the brain available anywhere, out of curiosity?

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    Zzzz

I don't have time to read through and recall my understandings on both just yet (well, to better recall the brain, ah!).

*subscribes so as not to Sigh while trying to find this Thread*

That's a very interesting perspective. It's great it is scientific and testable, and also it makes MBTI a lot easier to understand. I mean, there are so many definitions of certain functions that they are very hard to understand. In this perspective they are fairly easy to define, and there is less of that Jungian mysticism, that makes types feel more like horoscopes than science.

Thanks TaylorS, I've been waiting for this.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Very interesting.
    Is this your own interpretation/theory?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    Thus:

Ti = Left Dorsal-Lateral PFC

Fi = Right Dorsal-Lateral PFC

Te = Left Orbital-Frontal PFC

Fe = Right Orbital-Frontal PFC

Si = Left TAC

Ni = Right TAC

Se = Left PAC

Ne = Right PAC
    Lenore Thomson also associates the functions with certain regions of the brain, but it differs from this breakdown. I recall she places the INFJ dom/aux pair of Ni & Fe as left-brain functions.

I will try to find her breakdown and sources to post here later.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

I think Lenore put all XXXJ functions as left brain and all XXXP functions as right brain, or the other way around.

But it's nice to actually hear about neuroscience and its relation.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

sprinkles fairy dust Array Santtu's Avatar
    MBTI
    entj

This is interesting! It's more detailed than the Hermann Brain Dominance Indicator model, and your results about the main functions (S,N,T,F) are the same as suggested by the HBDI.

HBDI associates N- and S- like functions with limbic system, tho, but I guess that's just a matter of style. We could categorize someone being more or less influenced by the limbic system as opposed to the cortex, but the limbic system - as I've understood it - doesn't directly facilitate "thinking" in the traditional sense.