User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So anyway how do you interpret this most central concept to the MBTI?
    Preference is unconscious and as Wandering said, we do it naturally. The fact that I prefer to Ti-Se is based on my genetic who I am. All this system has done is to define what I knew naturally. Following up on Wandering's comments, we get stuck in a rut or become unhealthy and mistype our preferences. I would say that the average person who was healthy would most likely not seek out such questions.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I would say that the average person who was healthy would most likely not seek out such questions.
    Yeh, but threads like this sure can make you think about what you do.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Yeh, but threads like this sure can make you think about what you do.
    If you think long, you think wrong!

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

MBTI
    INFJ

I would say that the average person who was healthy would most likely not seek out such questions.
    I disagree. I'd say that some types are naturally inclined to soul-searching, whie others are not, and that's fine.

Spoken like a true Se !!

The "preference" as used in MBTT refers to a person's natural, most automatic tendency.
    I think that's a good way of putting it. With this definition, the axiom that one cannot change one's MBTI type would seem to remain true. One cannot change that which is most natural for one, but one may develop other functions such that...

Wait a second. I wonder what definition of "preferences" would support the axiom that one cannot change one's type?

For if the definition of preference is simply that which is most natural for an individual, could an individual not develop other functions such that one day, other functions became as natural as the first set, if not more natural? Or is it the law that one cannot develop use of unnatural functions to the point that they dominate the orginal dominants?

Anyway, Zergling, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this! I really was. Except I didn't want to focus the discussion on MBTI (in fact, I was going to mention that people should avoid talking about MBTI unless they could be informed and interesting, because sometimes I get tired of hearing about MBTI), but rather on wants in general and the extent to which wants can be coerced, manipulated and conditioned.

I have long, long thought that people can't choose their sexuality. The desire is there before they even realize it. My hunger for men certainly was. I still believe that, but I also wonder how much one can condition oneself, through exploration and thought, to like or appreciate something that one previously did not, or to avoid or dislike something that one previously wanted?

What does distinguish sexual responses from the responses one's mind and body have to, for example, music? If one can learn to appreciate classical music where before they cast aspersions on it...
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post

Anyway, Zergling, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this! I really was. Except I didn't want to focus the discussion on MBTI (in fact, I was going to mention that people should avoid talking about MBTI unless they could be informed and interesting, because sometimes I get tired of hearing about MBTI), but rather on wants in general and the extent to which wants can be coerced, manipulated and conditioned.
    Go for it! I tend to shut up when discussions only concentrate on the MBTI perspective. Of course, you might want to consider that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Anyway, Zergling, I was just thinking of starting a topic like this! I really was.
    When did I enter into this? (Or is it just a typo?)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    When did I enter into this? (Or is it just a typo?)
    Xander, Zergling... Mempy IS an INFP, you know

Love you Mempy , just making fun of some INFPs' apparent inability to remember people's names correctly, or even who they are actually talking to