User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doubt: Good memory is directly related with Si?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    A function's position in a type's "function order"simply indicates the type of emotions the function translates into cognitive data. If preferred (for an SJ), they will have a strong emotional investment in it, and it will be relevant in the way they gather information.
    For an NJ, it is at the bottom, which doesn't necessarily mean "weakness". They can remember (recall from their internal sensory databank) as well as anyone else. (And internal body sensations are another example of Si).
    The concrete data just won't be as relevant as the images they abstract from that databank. So they don't just remember something, they link it to conceptual patterns, which then give them additionally a sense of how things might turn out. The concrete data might come up in its own right when certain forms of stress cause them to pay attention to it more. then, it will seem "devilish".
    Yes, I see it. When it comes to memories, I "use" them more for concepts/ abstractions/ imaginative things etc than reality/ concrete things/ for it's own sake/ pointing discrepancies.

I really dislike Si things (though I am amazed with them for being so "different" to me), maybe because I'm so bad at them, and my family requires it so much...

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Si is not exactly memory.

It's distinct sensory impressions which are personally meaningful that you carry with you and refer back to. Si also notices detail, and can be quite concerned with it.

They have intense subjective reactions to objects, in an almost archetypal or "mythological" way, though may not even be aware of it, because they aren't delving underneath the symbolism of the archetype like Ni.

Si likes to collect, and notices when things are "off" a picture is crooked, or a food they usually make doesn't taste "right." Si has a very strong sense of what is can be quite impressive in terms of aesthetic things....but what is "correct" to the Si user is highly subjective and personal, it has nothing to do with the "social correctness" of Fe, or the "correct answer" like Te.

Someone with good Si can make a meal without a recipe if they've made it before, often down to the last detail, without barely even thinking about it.

Si also tends to be highly aesthetic, having strong preferences for a *particular* kind of music, film, wine, goes back to the Si having very strong PERSONAL impressions of sensory experiences.

The sensory information must be personal to have impact, where as Se will take in *the now* without much (or any) filtering, and seeks new experiences.

For this reason, Si is associated with "it should be this way" because the Si user will have these personal sensory impressions and want to refer back to them.

Si is also highly aware of internal bodily states. It's also been suggested to me that Si craves a very linking and linear train of thought to follow, diametically opposed to Ne's hopping around.

NPs, with tertiary or inferior Si, can also display some of these traits, as well as negative reactive traits to lesser Si, such as anxiety or hypochondria.

You can read more here:

It's more like RAM vs Your hard drive.

Random Access memory is more like Si. It doesn't remember facts and details.. it remembers sensations. What you are sensing now and how it relates to sensations in the past.
    it is not why you remember your telephone number from 20 years ago.
    It's the stuff the smell of a fireplace triggers .
    It's like petting your dogs fur and being reminded of every time you have ever pet an animal, the similarities and differences between each.
    It's Kissing someone.. and..OK.. I'll stop.. you get my point.

3w2 so

I have a good memory, if I want to, yet my gf sucks at it bigtime. According to mbti theory, she has with being infp the higher ranked Si, tho it of course could be less developed. I tho think it is not less developed, since she is much more habitually with things than I am.

Hard to tell what makes a good memory. I know entps, who are living wikipedias and I know entps like me who cant remember shit in deatil, but rather fill in memory blanks by making something up that sounds plausible. I can explain your everything, since I read a lot and am always eager to learn about thinks; but I wont remember it correctly and every minute detail, I rather fill in blanks then with my abilities in natural science.

Hard to say, I definitly dislike people who like to correct me on every minute detail, gets me angry and I think they are dumb mindless answering machines. But I respect people with a great faculty to remember. If its Si related I dont think so. There's more to it
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Memory isn't type related, really. I have a photographic memory, much better than both of my parents', which are SJs. Yet they care a lot more about the minute details of every day life, so it might seem that their memory is actually better, since I rarely talk about my own mental picture unless I'm asked specifically to do so.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    my understanding, and i do not know how accurate this is, is that Si is less about pure memory storage and recall and more about assessing concrete information and comparing and contrasting between situations, which most prominently is applied to the realms of past vs present. it's much like Ni in that there is a sort of "storage bank" of internal information that is used for identifying and integrating what is useful, but instead of Ni pattern substitution Si links sensory data.

i would be careful of thinking of SJs as people with photographic memory, as people who are stuck in the past, or who glorify what has been. my SJ mom - and yes, i am completely sure she is SJ - couldn't care less about tradition, and my INTP brother has better random, specific situational memory than anyone in the family. however, mom looks to past collected concrete data as a way of assessing things in the present. she is extraordinary at dealing with details, both in general information she takes in and when she is handling situations in real time. my brother might have somewhat of a databank but he doesn't habitually put it to good use, unless there is a really obvious reason for it, and it's very grouped into specific episodes, he can't just wield it like mom does - which i assume is typical tertiary Si.

in reality, i believe all Js tend to use past Perception to assess present and future - at least much more so than Ps, who tend to respond in the moment according to our Fi and Ti structures. but the difference is that Si users draw on past concrete detail while Ni users draw on past patterns and connections.

i think.
    That makes things so much easier. I'm almost positive I am an NJ, but my memory was always a red flag for an NP/SJ from how I understood it. My memory is exactly like what you have described.

I have crap memory.

548 sp/sx

It should really be clarified, that "memory" is being used basically as a sort of "shorthand" for the Si process, but again it can only be taken but so far as a descriptor. The true definition is "perception of concrete data from an internal source". Memory would technically fall into the category, but what differentiates it as a distinct type function is the focus.

Like I find that my wife is by her own admission horrible at "memory" of the sort of details (often trivial or nostalgic) that I focus on. This made it look like I was the SJ, and she was the N (or SP). But the differentiation of the function is tied to theor relation to our emotional life, which comes out as the archetypal complexes. For me, Si as the tertiary is tied to the "eternal child", so it appears to become very "strong", yet it's focus is clearly one of "play". When it comes to "work"; it's often horrible.
    For my wife, it is a more serious function by which she informs her [non-play] decisions (with a strong emphasis on familiarity, and draws from to instructs others; to me, often coming across in a "this is how we do things" way (the "parent").
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Courage is immortality Array Valiant's Avatar
    8w7 sx/so

I have a very good memory for most things. People who know me IRL can be freaked out by it.
    My short-term memory is just pretty good, but my long-term memory is crazy good. If i'm not very tired or just don't care...
    Well, let's say that if i'm paying attention, i'll simply remember something. Period.
    My memory is also why I often know that I am right. As long as I paid attention, which I most often do, i'm in the clear.
    It makes it easier to stick to my guns in discussions.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come