• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Decision Making

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
because i suck so much at making decisions,
i am permanently curious about how others go about it.

• how do you usually make decisions?

• does your system tend to work out well for you, and do you trust it, or is it usually a crapshoot?

• how much do you feel that it relates to your mbti type?

per bologna's request :)

small decision example: choosing what you will wear today
big decision example: deciding what colleges to apply to, or your career path

most foundationally: how do you know what you like?

Last edited:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by skylights
how do you usually make decisions?

I usually go by my feeling on certain matter, like whatever I want to do, however I want it. I may take the logical approach to things, but only after I make a decision based on some amount of feeling. I'll also take into account various aspects of the situation and process them, like how my decision might affect others or whatnot.

does your system tend to work out well for you, and do you trust it, or is it usually a crapshoot?

It gets the job done, although I tend to run into mistakes every now and then by relying a little too much on my gut.

how much do you feel that it relates to your mbti type?

About perfectly, Ne (how should I do this?), Fi (what do my feelings say?). Te (alright, do x, not y), Si (yeah, x worked last time, do it).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually go by my feeling on certain matter, like whatever I want to do, however I want it. I may take the logical approach to things, but only after I make a decision based on some amount of feeling. I'll also take into account various aspects of the situation and process them, like how my decision might affect others or whatnot.

It gets the job done, although I tend to run into mistakes every now and then by relying a little too much on my gut.

About perfectly, Ne (how should I do this?), Fi (what do my feelings say?). Te (alright, do x, not y), Si (yeah, x worked last time, do it).

I could be wrong, but I think Ne is more what and why and Te is how (specifically at least)

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My main decision making tools... The d4 for T decisions and the d20 for F ones :D

images

G

garbage

Can you give some examples of some hypothetical decisions? I could probably give you a better answer :devil:

how do you usually make decisions?
Small decisions are snap decisions--if I've got a choice between, ordering say, steak and salad, the end result isn't that important, so it doesn't deserve much thought. If some alternative clearly meets my criteria.. I don't really consider any others.

I analyze the hell out of larger decisions and more complex problems, using whatever books, websites, and tools I have at my disposal. I break the task down and make lists. I look at pros and cons, mostly looking at the long term implications of the decision.

If and only if that fails, I'll ask other people what they think--or, even better, get them to offer advice without me even having to ask. I largely hate asking for and accepting help :doh:

does your system tend to work out well for you, and do you trust it, or is it usually a crapshoot?
I think it works pretty well, yeah. I don't have many regrets.

how much do you feel that it relates to your mbti type?
being a longtime ENTP who's been absolutely sure of his type for a few years running :)wacko:), I can say with absolute certainty that this is a trait of my type.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Elfboy
I could be wrong, but I think Ne is more what and why and Te is how (specifically at least)

That's right, I meant to say what and why first, not how. Or maybe I'm a Te dom/ENTJ :laugh:

gromit

likes this
Usually a combination of thinking and impulse/gut feeling.

Small decisions, e.g. what I will wear today: try on different outfits and see what I like, think about what I'll be doing (hiking vs office vs field work vs gym vs going out dancing) who will be seeing it, how I feel like dressing, comfort, etc.

Big decisions: sometimes do pros and cons lists but that doesn't seem to help that much actually. I ask people whose opinions I respect for their thoughts. Often what I want ends up being pretty clear, but not always. And if it's not, oh well, I sometimes just choose something to have a decision or to have action. Just sort of jump and see what happens. At least this is how it's been going recently. Seems to be turning out fine. :shrug:

How do I know what I like? I do things to make other ppl happy a lot, but recently I've been just doing what I want. Like I said, sometimes almost randomly choose something. Then at least I chose it for myself and if I don't like it it's my own fault. Then I know what I DON'T want at least... :cheese:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My main decision making tools... The d4 for T decisions and the d20 for F ones :D

images

:laugh:

How do I know what I like? I do things to make other ppl happy a lot, but recently I've been just doing what I want. Like I said, sometimes almost randomly choose something. Then at least I chose it for myself and if I don't like it it's my own fault. Then I know what I DON'T want at least... :cheese:

lol huh. i like that logic.