User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

^ This kind of thing has the potential to make me shut down in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I think what a lot of people mistaken for shyness is more often aloofness or less of a desire to speak.
    Yeah, I agree with this. Whenever people tell me they think I'm shy, I just roll my eyes and get on with my life.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Thus the struggle lies with the duty of explaining your idea to others and doing so logically, which isn't the first step an INFP would take. The fear of not being able to express and found the idea could cause a paralysis, thus shyness. Its basis is on uncertainty.
    I could agree with that. I'd also add that I tend to not want to impose my values on others, and explaining why I'm passionate about something would seem too 'preachy' to me
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes. Most people would say I am not shy, that I am outspoken, or that I obviously like to perform, etc. ...however, I can actually be very self-conscious if I have strong feelings for a person, and have also suffered from social anxiety in the past.

I actually think part of my performing is to compensate for childhood shyness, or something. Public/private self, gah.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

What I have found in my personal experience, is that if something is happening that should normally make me feel 'shy' but I have the time to organise my thoughts about it, I can move on with it without feeling any restraints.

This leads me to think that INTP's are not shy in the sense that they feel emotionally restrained to go further with something. But rather have the need to stop and 'rationalize' what is going on, lacking the impulsiveness to go further with something. And it is when we are pressured into moving forward, whilest we really want to stop and go over the situation, is when we start feeling 'negatively' emotionally involved or 'shy'. Not because we are actually shy, but uncomfortable with being rushed into some situations that have importance. And this comes off, even feels as, being shy.

So whilest I agree with what some others have said about shyness being correlated to uncertainty. I do think there are different kinds of shyness a person can have.

For INTP's who want to dissect everything into thoughtprocesses. Not getting the time to do so will result in us putting on our breaks. But there is very little direct emotional involvement in the process. The emotional involvement appears to be a side-effect to the core issue. Sprouting from pressure either put on by ourselves or by others in out surroundings.

For INFP's I imagine that not feeling 'right' about something, being 'new' to something on a more emotional level, is what puts on their breaks. And the emotional involvement is the core of the issue.

PS: I don't mean to portray shyness as something horribly negative. Obviously shyness can be an issue for some people and that I recognize, but on the whole, I think of it as a good quality in people. In fact, I sometimes experience having trust issues with people who are apparantly not shy at all. Or just find their behaviour immature, naive and unwise, depending on the situation.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Shyness, we would of course automatically associate with introversion. In the temperament models, introversion is what is known as "low expressiveness". The closest thing to the classic temperaments in the type system are the Interaction Styles, which use I/E as one of the factors. Yet, there are also Keirsey's temperaments, which are blind (all four evenly divided) to I/E.

What I have identified as the "expressiveness" factor on those groups would be Pragmatic/Cooperative. Pragmatic "does what works", and will thus be quicker to take action, while Cooperative "does what's right", and will thus end up slower. NT and SP are pragmatic, while NF and SJ are cooperative.

So INT's will be shy on the social level, but when they feel confident about something (because they think it "works"), they will then become aggressive. ISP's are likely this way as well. INFP's are both introverted and cooperative, so they are all around very non-expressive.

The other factor, "responsiveness" may also figure. This is about how much the person wants to be approached by others. Directives (ST/NJ) on the social level basically have the attitude of "don't call me; I'll call you" (regardless of how much they express to or approach others). Structure-focused (NT/SJ) will want less interference from others in leadership and responsibilities outside of their chosen structure. So that might lead to more of an appearance of "aloofness".

And of course, functions such as Fe will figure as well.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I know INTx types (myself included) who are shy about suddenly being "put on the spot". This could come in the form of being asked what we think about some issue we didn't read much up on or having to perform with insufficient internal preparation. I think it stems from fear of having their incompetency or ignorance somehow exposed.
    This in particular makes a lot of sense - NT have "competency" as a core value and a confidence point ("You know what you're talking about"), so their vulnerability could be found there. I've also theorized that inferior Fe in INTPs can be a quite vulnerable spot, as inferior functions are apparently prone to.

And, for the record, I do not equate introversion with shyness - I've heard quite a few ENFPs say in this very forum that they were shy. BTW, from what I hear about Fi, it seems to have a "love it or leave it" attitude; I guess I was wrong on that account?

Also, thanks for the reply, Reflect! I get what you mean - the associations made in the "If types were food..." thread, for example, seem to have a bizarre logic behind them, even if it's more "gutty" than expressible. Ne is a bit of a black box that way.

PS: Sorry for taking so long to answer. I just came back from Orlando.
    Last edited by Viridian; 03-03-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: PS: Sorry for taking so long to answer. I just came back from Orlando.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ok, I think diffidence is the more 'correct' word to describe the shyness. It is probably also one reason why NFs apologize so much.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell