• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to change?

Illmatic

Well some of you know me by now and i am an ISFP with borderline INFP. I want to become an ISTP as i've always desired and i want to become this naturally and not pretend to be something i'm not.

Is there any way i can change naturally and genuinly?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Depends. Problem with changing is that first you should know if you know who you are.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
What motivates the change if you truly accept yourself?

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I think it's not impossible to change type, but the process will be long and gradual at least.

In your case, you're an F that wants to be a T.
F's put emotions on high priority in decision making; T's do not, at least as much.
That said, being T doesn't make you smarter. It simply means that you prioritize something else more than emotions in decision making.

My advice is that you should try reshuffling your priorities when in decision making so that facts and objectives stay on top, and emotions stay at the bottom. The best way to do this is by understanding T philosophy.

Question; what do you find in ISTP's that cannot be in ISFP's?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
F's put emotions on high priority in decision making; T's do not, at least as much.
That said, being T doesn't make you smarter. It simply means that you prioritize something else more than emotions in decision making.

My advice is that you should try reshuffling your priorities when in decision making so that facts and objectives stay on top, and emotions stay at the bottom. The best way to do this is by understanding T philosophy.

I don't think that would make the type change. You would just learn to see things from T perspective also. And if you took this idea far enough and thought that you should also get rid of the F perspective, the results would be that you'd not be a fully functioning T but not a fully functioning F either. It is good, though, to try to see things from the opposite perspective also.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
And if you took this idea far enough and thought that you should also get rid of the F perspective, the results would be that you'd not be a fully functioning T but not a fully functioning F either. It is good, though, to try to see things from the opposite perspective also.

That really was my point. I do understand you however.

Indeed, it is no guarantee, but I'm sure something will 'shake'. If lucky, it might tip over to the T side, even if only a little.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know how much you can change type, but you can certainly learn to use other functions. For example, I'm an ENTP who learned to use Fe really, really well. As in, a lot of people I know would probably see Fe and Ne as my primary traits. However, Fe tires me out more easily, and when I'm really stressed I stop using it well. So, you can certainly act like one type, but you may find it hard to always act as that type. In your case, you need to try to develop Ti. (I dunno, I have mostly Ne, but then Ti and Fe and Fi ect. There are some functions I cannot figure out how to develop, like Te and Ni). So, read up on the function and start using it where appropriate. (I also don't know how much is legitimately using that function versus seeming to use that function).

T

ThatGirl

This probably isn't the best group to ask this question. A lot of people here are trying to figure out and accept themselves for who they are, so they are in the bias that no you cannot change (believing they are who they are), or they don't deal with change well. Even if it is accurate.

I don't believe in limitations, I also don't believe everyone is capable of changing anything they want.

So my answer is this. Do everything you need to in order to develop your ISTP side, and when you have it come naturally, and strong, you decide whether someone can change or not.

Whether the answer is yes or no, you will still have developed some nice healthy new functions.

*I changed my personality before I knew what personality was, and became an ENTP. I changed back to my original preferences, and everyone freaked the fuck out.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's definitely not impossible. I'd say some people can, and some people cannot.
There will always be things you cannot change, but as far as MBTI types go, yes. Yes, you can change.
Why? Some people stop growing in their early twenties, and that is probably closely related to when they stop developing their brains as well.
After that, it's just downhill. If you, however, continue learning on a daily basis, you don't stop growing intellectually, spiritually or even physically (as far as developing your brain).
I read some study on that. Some people, lifelong learners, does not stop growing because they keep their intellectual metabolism running.

It's just a thought, but if you think enough and don't get stuck in a rut, yes. Then you can change and continue to change.
You'll never be finished if you continue, but you'll keep getting better. Probably a little less sane, as well, though.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unlike others, i accept what i am and i want to change it.

What is it you want to change? What traits of ISTPs do you wish to integrate?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
you absolutely cannot change. All of the types were brought over on an ark, they didn't evolve over time.

Illmatic

What is it you want to change? What traits of ISTPs do you wish to integrate?

Stay calm in any situation and never panics.
Become more fearless
Can peform for a job without any preperation.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Become more fearless

None of those things are exclusively ISTP territory, though. You can do those things while still being an ISFP.

Well, except for the last one. ISTPs are very gifted at making complex jobs look effortless, but often times there was a great deal of learning or experience that brought them up to the moment. If you look closely, you can see the strings behind the magic.

Illmatic

One other thing i want to be that is really an ISTP thing is to

Analyse problems easilyand see the reason, why it happened and find a solution.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Become more fearless
Analyse problems easilyand see the reason, why it happened and find a solution.

Those are not an exclusive to ISTP's. Any type can do 'em.

Still, is it really hard to try to rationalize each of those traits?

If you want to stay calm, then just be calm. If you want to be fearless, then convince yourself that you have to do 'it'. It's not wrong to be afraid, but it's wrong if you don't do 'it'.

There may be some biological issues though. Some people just naturally, yet abnormally have problems staying calm, so medical attention may be required.

To perform a job without any preparation is overrated, but it can be done with practice. Seriously though, preparing is not that hard and really undervalued.

To analyze problems and to solve them, I suggest you try focusing on one problem at a time, in a step by step manner— slowly but surely they say.

Also, sorry if these weren't the answers you were looking for, but you can really achieve any of those characteristics without having to compromise your ISFPness.

Illmatic

I doubt i can be an ISTP though :(, i suck at science in schoool and i am not good at creating shit.

Something i have always wanted to be:
Is analytical and critical, tending to see the flaws in situations
And be a really good strategist and solve problems.

I want to be more of a quiet person and observe things. Watch someone lie and not do anything about it and just keep it to myself type of person. Know how to get out of dangerous situations (like Michael Westen) kinda person. Notice a problem and then proceed to solve it and usally notice stuff that are usually unnoticed.