User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is it possible to change?

Well some of you know me by now and i am an ISFP with borderline INFP. I want to become an ISTP as i've always desired and i want to become this naturally and not pretend to be something i'm not.

Is there any way i can change naturally and genuinly?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Depends. Problem with changing is that first you should know if you know who you are.

Unlike others, i accept what i am and i want to change it.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

What motivates the change if you truly accept yourself?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    Is there any way i can change naturally and genuinly?
    No, as your motivations for changing will preclude you from that.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

I think it's not impossible to change type, but the process will be long and gradual at least.

In your case, you're an F that wants to be a T.
    F's put emotions on high priority in decision making; T's do not, at least as much.
    That said, being T doesn't make you smarter. It simply means that you prioritize something else more than emotions in decision making.

My advice is that you should try reshuffling your priorities when in decision making so that facts and objectives stay on top, and emotions stay at the bottom. The best way to do this is by understanding T philosophy.

Question; what do you find in ISTP's that cannot be in ISFP's?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    F's put emotions on high priority in decision making; T's do not, at least as much.
    That said, being T doesn't make you smarter. It simply means that you prioritize something else more than emotions in decision making.

My advice is that you should try reshuffling your priorities when in decision making so that facts and objectives stay on top, and emotions stay at the bottom. The best way to do this is by understanding T philosophy.
    I don't think that would make the type change. You would just learn to see things from T perspective also. And if you took this idea far enough and thought that you should also get rid of the F perspective, the results would be that you'd not be a fully functioning T but not a fully functioning F either. It is good, though, to try to see things from the opposite perspective also.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    And if you took this idea far enough and thought that you should also get rid of the F perspective, the results would be that you'd not be a fully functioning T but not a fully functioning F either. It is good, though, to try to see things from the opposite perspective also.
    That really was my point. I do understand you however.

Indeed, it is no guarantee, but I'm sure something will 'shake'. If lucky, it might tip over to the T side, even if only a little.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know how much you can change type, but you can certainly learn to use other functions. For example, I'm an ENTP who learned to use Fe really, really well. As in, a lot of people I know would probably see Fe and Ne as my primary traits. However, Fe tires me out more easily, and when I'm really stressed I stop using it well. So, you can certainly act like one type, but you may find it hard to always act as that type. In your case, you need to try to develop Ti. (I dunno, I have mostly Ne, but then Ti and Fe and Fi ect. There are some functions I cannot figure out how to develop, like Te and Ni). So, read up on the function and start using it where appropriate. (I also don't know how much is legitimately using that function versus seeming to use that function).
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

ThatGirl

This probably isn't the best group to ask this question. A lot of people here are trying to figure out and accept themselves for who they are, so they are in the bias that no you cannot change (believing they are who they are), or they don't deal with change well. Even if it is accurate.

I don't believe in limitations, I also don't believe everyone is capable of changing anything they want.

So my answer is this. Do everything you need to in order to develop your ISTP side, and when you have it come naturally, and strong, you decide whether someone can change or not.

Whether the answer is yes or no, you will still have developed some nice healthy new functions.

*I changed my personality before I knew what personality was, and became an ENTP. I changed back to my original preferences, and everyone freaked the fuck out.