• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does eye movement (during conversation) correlate to N vs S preferences?

Cyanne

MBTI Type
INtP
I remember watching a short video online of a man who shared an interesting theory. It was a long time ago and I can't find it... so sorry I can't link you to it.

He explained that one difference in external behavior between N people (Intuitives) and S people (Sensors) is their eye movement:

-- In conversation, those with S preferences tend to look straight at you or don't move their eyes around that much; they're more in tune with their external senses and focus their vision as well as their thoughts in a more straightforward way.

-- On the other hand, he said those with N preferences tend to shift their eyes around a lot while they talk. He said that this frequent eye movement exhibits all the mental connections that the N person is making, as if the eyes are searching through the brain over and over during the conversation.

I thought this was a cool idea. Speaking from personal experience, the Sensors that I know totally do that! And as an N person myself (INTP), I move my eyes around a LOT. When I speak to a Sensor it has made me feel weird sometimes at the direct way they look into my eyes, not just because I'm introverted, but this theory really makes me wonder. My eye contact is consistently on and off, mostly off and wandering everywhere as I'm thinking, then on again to maintain social etiquette. I didn't really think of it consciously until I came across this video, and also someone I know has commented to me about how I move my eyes around so much when I talk.

Certainly this is just a theory and your eye contact is contingent on the situation. If I am talking to someone, the main reason I often look away as I figure out my words is because it helps me concentrate. Of course everyone does that, but maybe Sensors have LESS eye movement overall and Intuitives MORE?

Eye contact is influenced by level of comfort or uncertainty, but let's speculate on how typology could play into it. This information could contribute to our knowledge about behavioral nuances according to type.

What do you think about this? Can you relate?

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Well, I'm an N, and I look straight at people's eyes in conversation. I did have the habit of looking everywhere, but I heard looking directly to someone's eyes gives an impression of confidence and authority, and I try to build that kind of image so...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to move my eyes around a lot in conversation

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I have a hard time looking at a person straight usually, but I always attributed that to shyness. I will rather look somewhere else, probably moving around too.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought about it as the thread was loading so reading the OP didn't chnage my mind.

I'm constantly moving my eyes around and only sometimes remember to look at the person talking, to the extent that it's probably rude. I doubt it's "evidence of mental activity" :)laugh:), for me it's more that I get uncomfortable and can't concentrate with direct eye contact. I would rather look at something neutral. I also get distracted a lot by things moving or seeing interesting things.

I really thought the OP would say the opposite of what it did, as in Ss are in theory more attuned to the environment so they're constantly looking around at the environment. :shrug:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Is Se vs Si a factor?

It's a pretty interesting theory. On a personal level I suspect the amount of focused eye contact I make varies a lot depending on how comfortable and interested I feel.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I thought about it as the thread was loading so reading the OP didn't chnage my mind.

I'm constantly moving my eyes around and only sometimes remember to look at the person talking, to the extent that it's probably rude. I doubt it's "evidence of mental activity" :)laugh:), for me it's more that I get uncomfortable and can't concentrate with direct eye contact. I would rather look at something neutral. I also get distracted a lot by things moving or seeing interesting things.

I really thought the OP would say the opposite of what it did, as in Ss are in theory more attuned to the environment so they're constantly looking around at the environment. :shrug:

Yeah, exactly. I move my eyes around a lot because I get distracted looking at things.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Interesting... I don't get distracted looking at things. I don't actually notice what it is I'm looking at, just that it isn't the other person's eyes. I move my eyes a lot because I can't think and make eye contact at the same time. And I need to think before blurting things out.

To-A-T

MBTI Type
ESFx
Enneagram
7w6
It definitely depends on the topic and person. I shift my eyes only when the topic is particularly hard (I'll start staring at the wall or some other object) or if I'm slightly embarrassed. However, in normal conversation I look directly at people. At least their face. Sometimes I will shift away from their eyes simply because I am afraid of making them uncomfortable haha.

Edit- I think eye contact is a good thing. For me, it's a type of personal connection. Not saying that if you don't have it that it's bad. I had to kind of teach myself when I started in the interviewing world for school stuff early high school and I guess it just kind of flowed over into my natural habits.

Last edited:

KDude

I don't make a lot of direct eye contact, I think (and get a little weirded out by people who do.. especially the direct bulgy eye stare.). My thoughts bridge to out of context subjects I guess and I might look down or around when conveying them, but I don't know if it's type related.

Vorm Krieg

My guess is that the eyes of a Pi user are usually still until their thoughts reach closure. One who prefers extraverted perceiving would perhaps move their eyes more frequently because they are constantly scanning the environment.

This is a fun thought to entertain, but nothing I would give any real credibility. My personal observations seem to support this theory though. :)

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
the amount of eye contact i make probably correlates most strongly with how much i like the person talking

To-A-T

MBTI Type
ESFx
Enneagram
7w6
the amount of eye contact i make probably correlates most strongly with how much i like the person talking

That's really true for me as well. How comfortable I am with the person in normal conversation would be a big factor. So I would definitely make more eye contact with a close friend.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
In my experience Its been the exact opposite. I don't know if there is any validity to eye movement and S/N.. but I know that most INFP's I come across will stare directly into your eyes without breaking eyecontact.. and my S friend is always watching the scenery when we are sitting at a coffee shop.