12 Last

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Default Slow reaction time correlated to inferior Se?

Was wondering if slow reaction time is correlated to having Se in the inferior position, or if it's related to lack of development of other cognitive processes, or perhaps a motor-coordination issue. Any thoughts on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's probably a combination of motor coordination and processing speed. Not type related.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

The causes for apparently slow reaction time will probably vary, but I know that my ridiculously slow reactions are most likely due to a nontype-related issues with processing speed. Or at least, I think they aren't type related based on the NT descriptions sometimes throwing in the 'quick with thinking' trait, but none of the other types having a 'ridiculously slow at thinking' option.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

If you mean purely physiologically, then it's not type related unless you say a certain type is less likely to be physically active and therefore atrophying their nervous system, or at least not building it to its potential.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

That's not related to Se. A lot of Se types I know are actually slow to react because they are so much in the moment, taking it all in................

Don't think it is type related. Slow reaction time doesn't mean inferior Se. I mean, you really don't need a quick reaction time to look at a picture and see what is in it.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Yeah, come to think of it, using the infamous psychological term here... correlation does not imply causation. I had a hypothesis that lower Se traits could make one less aware of their external environment, thus leading to slower reaction time because said visual input was not encoded because not enough attention was made to the stimulus, leading to a delayed reaction. But from what those of you sensors have said, that those with really excellent use of Se that experience the whole world around them, even they can be caught up in what they are sensing and then have slower reaction time too.

So, I think that it would be more valid to say that poor reaction time, on a physiological level, is due to poor motor-coordination skills... either from lack of use, lack of development, or eye-hand coordination problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't think it's the sole cause, but I do think it's a factor. And maybe not even Se, so much as Pe- having perception directed inward (if Pe is the inferior function, then one's perception is directed primarily inwards) does put a sort of gap between a person and their external environment. It's why Js are less malleable to external circumstances than Ps are. It isn't that the actual reaction time is slower, per se, but Js' first reactions are to internal information (rather than external information), hence- the reaction time to external situations will be slower.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

So if you combine both internal perception, with less developed coordination skills, then it is likely that one will have a slower reaction time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

― Friedrich Nietzsche

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There's a lot of different ways to specifically define "slow reaction time"- so I'm hesitant to give a solid answer- but with the specific definition that pops into my own head, then yeah. I think Pi + less developed coordination skills probably yields a slower reaction time (to external stimuli) than even Pe + less developed coordination skills. Whether Pi makes someone less inclined to work on developing coordination skills, though, I can't even make a guess.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari