• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Slow reaction time correlated to inferior Se?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Was wondering if slow reaction time is correlated to having Se in the inferior position, or if it's related to lack of development of other cognitive processes, or perhaps a motor-coordination issue. Any thoughts on this?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's probably a combination of motor coordination and processing speed. Not type related.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The causes for apparently slow reaction time will probably vary, but I know that my ridiculously slow reactions are most likely due to a nontype-related issues with processing speed. Or at least, I think they aren't type related based on the NT descriptions sometimes throwing in the 'quick with thinking' trait, but none of the other types having a 'ridiculously slow at thinking' option. :laugh:

Usehername

On a mission
If you mean purely physiologically, then it's not type related unless you say a certain type is less likely to be physically active and therefore atrophying their nervous system, or at least not building it to its potential.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's not related to Se. A lot of Se types I know are actually slow to react because they are so much in the moment, taking it all in................

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't think it is type related. Slow reaction time doesn't mean inferior Se. I mean, you really don't need a quick reaction time to look at a picture and see what is in it.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, come to think of it, using the infamous psychological term here... correlation does not imply causation. I had a hypothesis that lower Se traits could make one less aware of their external environment, thus leading to slower reaction time because said visual input was not encoded because not enough attention was made to the stimulus, leading to a delayed reaction. But from what those of you sensors have said, that those with really excellent use of Se that experience the whole world around them, even they can be caught up in what they are sensing and then have slower reaction time too.

So, I think that it would be more valid to say that poor reaction time, on a physiological level, is due to poor motor-coordination skills... either from lack of use, lack of development, or eye-hand coordination problems.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's the sole cause, but I do think it's a factor. And maybe not even Se, so much as Pe- having perception directed inward (if Pe is the inferior function, then one's perception is directed primarily inwards) does put a sort of gap between a person and their external environment. It's why Js are less malleable to external circumstances than Ps are. It isn't that the actual reaction time is slower, per se, but Js' first reactions are to internal information (rather than external information), hence- the reaction time to external situations will be slower.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So if you combine both internal perception, with less developed coordination skills, then it is likely that one will have a slower reaction time.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a lot of different ways to specifically define "slow reaction time"- so I'm hesitant to give a solid answer- but with the specific definition that pops into my own head, then yeah. I think Pi + less developed coordination skills probably yields a slower reaction time (to external stimuli) than even Pe + less developed coordination skills. Whether Pi makes someone less inclined to work on developing coordination skills, though, I can't even make a guess.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's the sole cause, but I do think it's a factor.

I have always had "slow reaction time" and actively compensate for it. An example would be that I have a thing for a safe following distance while driving. I just don't have as much confidence in my ability to react quickly as other people do nor do I think it is worth the risk. IMO, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think there is a correlation between Se being inferior and having slower reaction times. Ni doms tend to be in their head. If you compare that to an Se dom, whose world view is colored by a function so present to current experience, I think on average, it seems more likely that the Se dom would have a faster reaction time than an Ni dom because they are so present in the moment.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you know whether you have a fast or slow reaction time?

I have no idea.

T

ThatGirl

I once caught a fly with my bare hand at the first thought I had to attempt it. :p

Other than that I have been in 16 car accidents, all while 'paying attention to the road.'

If I am multi-tasking, doing twelve things at once, I am much more in-tuned with everything happening around me, rather than when in a relaxed state and my reaction time drops severely.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you know whether you have a fast or slow reaction time?

I have no idea.

Involvement in sports.

Example - I am pretty good at tennis when I'm in the back court because there is enough time to assess the trajectory of the ball and some level of predictability to how someone is moving, what they do with their racket, etc. However, I suck at the net because there isn't enough time to react.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I probably have somewhat average-to-decent reflexes then, going based on soccer. I'm not sure. I'm pretty uncoordinated in general, and most people are a lot more technically skilled than me so it's not really easy to compare.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Involvement in sports.

Example - I am pretty good at tennis when I'm in the back court because there is enough time to assess the trajectory of the ball and some level of predictability to how someone is moving, what they do with their racket, etc. However, I suck at the net because there isn't enough time to react.

This is what I tend to think of. I'm not convinced that a Se user always has the fastest response, and surely the best, to an immediate call for action. I'm thinking about my ISTP co-workers and friends....I find Se is more about being in the moment (as opposed to Si)- getting lost in it, enjoying whatever it is in front of them, not necessarily having an ability to pull away from it with such ease.

The ability to react in sports- I'm constantly thinking if that's truly type related. I know great ballers of all types.