• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it difficult for INTJ's to be romantic?

Wishes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
1/3
I am an ENTJ (Sometimes ENFJ). My wonderful boyfriend is INTJ, and we work great together.
However, we do have one problem - he isn't really romantic, and he doesn't seem to want to change that. He knows that I want him to be more romantic, but it's almost as if he just doesn't understand it.
I've read that it's difficult for INTJs to be romantic. But can they be? Or do they just not understand romance? I need advice, how should I deal with this?

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an INTJ, and I'm plenty romantic... when I want to be.

T

ThatGirl

NTJ romance is more subtle than outlandish displays of affection. I can be very romantic at times, if you can see it.

I would never buy someone a card for example because I think they are a waste of money. I wont do elaborate things that take a long time to plan. But just when you least expect it, I will do something so perfect for you, it will make you smile, and feel that very deep sense of caring.....Just don't ever talk about it! Or want it when the time isn't just perfect.

Nicodemus

Of course INTJs can be romantic. If he knows you want him to be romantic and he cares about you, he will eventually do something romantic. He will just not do it at command, because then it is not authentic.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the moment i told the INTx i was "done" and moving on, i got an invitation to a romantic weekend on the coast in monterey, ca.

so yeah. tons of romance. just not necessarily when you're expecting it. :)

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
how could i forget.

an INTJ once dumped me on my bday (what IS it about NYE?). we were engaged. it was delightful.

i eventually moved on, started dating someone else, we fell in love and moved to another country to launch a business there. 6 months after moving, the INTJ who dumped me emails me and asks me to meet him in the main city square at 2 pm the following day. i am speechless--how did he get there, why did he follow me to another country, doesn't he know from mutual friends that i am dating someone else?

my current boyfriend says this is not a joke and that i should meet him at the appointed spot (we'll call that boyfriend INTJ 2, vs. INTJ 1 = dumper). i reluctantly agree that it would be rude not to show up, as INTJ 1 doesn't even speak the language.

INTJ 1 shows up at 2 pm on the dot, in a painfully new suit, brandishing a red rose. and, ladies and gentlemen, walks up to me and says: "i want you to know that you are the most important person in the world to me. i love you, and want you to be my wife."

*pulls out a box with a ring*

:doh:

INTJ 2 was there for moral support (rose-holding INTJ 1 had rather cruelly dumped me, after all). he awkwardly introduces himself to INTJ 1 and excuses himself with a shocked look on his face so INTJ 1 and i could talk. i suppose we were all wearing shocked expressions. INTJ 1 then tells me that he made a horrible mistake in dumping me. that he hasn't been able to stop thinking about me. THAT HE TOOK A LEAVE OF ABSENCE FROM HIS JOB TO COME AND BE WITH ME.

INTJ 1 looks really confused when i point out to him that most of our mutual friends knew i had moved to another country with someone else. he says he maybe should have told them about his plan to propose, but wanted to surprise me. we exchange awkward pleasantries, i inquire whether he needs any restaurant recommendations or a place to stay. he says, no, he'll be fine. we walk to where INTJ 2 is waiting, exchange an awkward hug, and part ways.

isn't romance wonderful.

Last edited:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes, yes it can. I picked up a few pointers. And at the same time it can be no holds bard extravaganza shock fest aka Agentfurrina's experience.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i did.

INTJ 1 ran software development for my previous employer. we had to be tested so i knew his type before we started dating.

INTJ 2 owns a software company and took the test for me a month ago (we're still friends). sent me a text: "what's an INTJ?" :)

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
we had to be tested so i knew his type before we started dating.

sounds like something you do for ball warts.

INTJs romantic ability isn't accounted for within type. Nor anyone else's abilities in general.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To put it charitably, yes. :)

We were dealing with a lot of stress (hitech startups, no sleep, etc.). Med school residents have similar issues from what I've seen. Too much responsibility, not enough down-time, major stress and often too young/inexperienced to function in healthier ways.

T

ThatGirl

To put it charitably, yes. :)

We were dealing with a lot of stress (hitech startups, no sleep, etc.). Med school residents have similar issues from what I've seen. Too much responsibility, not enough down-time, major stress and often too young/inexperienced to function in healthier ways.

I've never ended a relationship I ever had a single idea of returning to.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wishes, please don't let my odd experiences influence your views on INTJ romanticism.

In my experience, they are capable of deeply romantic acts. But it has also been my experience that having expectations of receiving them is where you might get disappointed.

I'll say it since no one has yet: the most reliable and wonderful form of romantic expression I've elicited from an INTJ has been his way of expressing himself sexually.

That, and the zombie action figure one finally gave me. I'm taking that shit to the grave.

F

figsfiggyfigs

INTJs are complete fluffies when they're comfortable and around someone they like.

How would you define romantic?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
From case study my INTJ father has been romantic on some level prior to marriage. After marriage I have seen zero romance the past 35 or so years my parents have been married. No flowers, no presents, no dinners, no affection, you get the drift.

While my INTJ brother, well I suppose he does some kinds of romantic things though it seems limited. His last gf left him married someone else, renounced her religion and had babies. While his current gf and him wants out of the relationship and they live next to each other for 8 years. I haven't seen much expression of romance from him either. He does tone down his voice and talks with his gf in a softer voice than the family, is less argumentative.

Probably non typical, I wouldn't know. I'm an a non typical INFP that is clueless about relationships too and I like exploring, talking and dreaming about a time when I find out whether I am like my family or different. Until then any representation probably is biased.

sway

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
so... which one did you pick?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Difficulty with romance, yes. But romance =/= love. Speaking for myself, I love very deeply. Certain "expressions of love" though, seem extremely cheesy and forced. It's way easier to show love through everyday attitudes than over-the-top romantic gestures.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Difficulty with romance, yes. But romance =/= love. Speaking for myself, I love very deeply. Certain "expressions of love" though, seem extremely cheesy and forced. It's way easier to show love through everyday attitudes than over-the-top romantic gestures.

amen.