User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Introverted Thinkers: Curious protective obstacles?

The various measures of self-defence, the curious protective obstacles with which such people are wont to surround themselves, are sufficiently familiar, and I may, therefore, spare myself a description of them. They all serve as a defence against 'magical' influences; a vague dread of the other sex also belongs to this category.
    This is a part of Jung's description of the Introverted Thinking type. Does anyone know what he was talking about here? I have no clue. I'm not sure that I've known any Introverted Thinking types well enough to be aware of such.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Think he meant that all Ti-doms have a plastic p-ness

german english translations are really impossible to read
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The key element of what he's describing is related to the previous sentence:

The relatively unconscious functions of feeling, intuition, and sensation, which counterbalance introverted thinking, are inferior in quality and have a primitive, extraverted character, to which all the troublesome objective influences this type is subject to must be ascribed. The various measures of self-defence, the curious protective obstacles with which such people are wont to surround themselves, are sufficiently familiar, and I may, therefore, spare myself a description of them. They all serve as a defence against 'magical' influences; a vague dread of the other sex also belongs to this category.
    Essentially, an introverted thinking individual who has lost his connection to the factual world and has begun supplanting his subjective and "mythological" reasoning for true reality will interpret demands of the other functions as being the villains of his world. All blame is projected outwards, and any perceived attack on the world of the Ti dom is met with denial, or projection, or any other psychological defense mechanisms one can think of. These mechanisms I don't think are unique to the Ti dom, but they're employed for "Ti reality defense."

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

german english translations are really impossible to read
    This!! I haven't a clue, maybe Jung had too much to drink when writing these descriptions

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The key element of what he's describing is related to the previous sentence:

Essentially, an introverted thinking individual who has lost his connection to the factual world and has begun supplanting his subjective and "mythological" reasoning for true reality will interpret demands of the other functions as being the villains of his world. All blame is projected outwards, and any perceived attack on the world of the Ti dom is met with denial, or projection, or any other psychological defense mechanisms one can think of. These mechanisms I don't think are unique to the Ti dom, but they're employed for "Ti reality defense."
    ah, that makes sense. Good post