User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

ThatGirl

So basically Ni is taking all relevant material into consideration before coming to or acting upon a conclusion.

It is personalized to the specific subject because while there may be some universal generalities, there will also be factors which cause the situation to be uniquely independent. There fore, the final conclusion is more fit for the time than the subject?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Ha! One of the things that stood out in Night's video was when he confused the word "temper" (I think not re-watching) for temperature.

I do that sometimes, when I am speaking from a sort of mental muscle memory, and formulating the next idea at the same time.
    I caught that in the video. I think I might reverse the order of two words in conversations as well sometimes. Or because I can't think of an immediate way to more clearly describe something or I'm too mentally lazy to come up with the right word(s), I say something really vague. When people get to know me, they undertand the shorthand somehow. "Where is that thing" or something like that for example.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I caught that in the video. I think I might reverse the order of two words in conversations as well sometimes. Or because I can't think of an immediate way to more clearly describe something or I'm too mentally lazy to come up with the right word(s), I say something really vague. When people get to know me, they undertand the shorthand somehow. "Where is that thing" or something like that for example.
    I see interesting. I thought it had more to do with formulating synapses on the spot, and integrating those with familiar associations.

Perhaps Ti.

As far as general wording. Everyone kind of knows I mix two words that do not seem to belong together in an effort to describe one thing I am thinking. That becomes word salad.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I

As far as general wording. Everyone kind of knows I mix two words that do not seem to belong together in an effort to describe one thing I am thinking. That becomes word salad.
    That does seem like Ni. It's also funny that I understand perfectly well what you mean when you do that. I don't even notice the errors.

I sometimes either invent words or alternatively come up with creative uses for them. I stretch the limits of my understanding on what a word means which usually works out ok I think. I am constantly struggling for the right words in conversations. Sometimes I just pause because that one word just won't come and I feel like I have to have that one word - so I get hung up on it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200
    I think that to some extent, it's difficult to describe ANY introverted function. Ti maybe a bit less difficult, but all three of the others? Yeah, there are elements of them that I believe are often missed and misunderstood.

i am still trying to understand Si.

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau
    Jung is often typed as INTP (and I heard/read somewhere that he typed himself as INTP or Ti, but I don't have a source), yet if you read his writing, such as his original text on types, it doesn't read anything like an INTP would write: it's full of Ni-thinking. So, in MBTI terms, he was definitely an "introverted thinker" (INTx), but his writing makes it clear that INTJ (Ni) is far more probable than INTP (Ti). So, if I am right, and the originator of the concept of Ni couldn't see it in himself, what are we to make of Ni?
    If Jung was an INTJ, where was the Te though? I see more INTP there.
    what if he was INFJ? that's what i thought initially upon reading some of his writings, before also reading somewhere that he typed himself INTP (i do not remember the source at all, but i don't remember it being particularly trustworthy)... anyway, his stuff about an acorn holding the potential of a tree, the whole concept of an archetype, the boiling down of religions, etc... it all seems really Ni. i definitely see Ti over Te, but i'm inclined to see Ni over Ti.

hard to question his own type theory though...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Another Ni question:

It's been mentioned in this thread that Ni will sort through information in order to give "the most appropriate answer" for the situation at hand - or "an answer that is tailored to the individual or group in question".

There are people in this world with whom you know exactly where you stand - because they speak their mind openly. Then there are people with whom you don't really know where you stand - because there is so much going on internally that they don't reveal. I'm probably in that second category and it's been something I've had to work on through my life. I'm nice and easy-going on the outside and then sometimes if I kind of "snap" on someone, they act shocked because they never saw a clue to my frustration or anger. It's just something I have to be more aware of - to put out cues letting them know that I need something to change, therefore, giving them time to make an adjustment.

In "tailoring" an answer that is perfect for the situation, do you Ni users ever find that people get "impression X" of you - only to find out later that you have thoughts that are a bit different (it's just that you "tailored" or "molded" your thoughts to the situation at hand). Not sure if that makes sense or not. I like the abilities of Ni (as described in this thread), but if you tailor an answer and make it fit perfectly, then a week later you tailor a different answer that goes off in a different direction, does it ever confuse people and make them say, "But, last week you sort of indicated something a bit different!"????

And logically speaking, you may not have contradicted yourself in your 2 tailored answers, but it may have given different ideas to the listener, and they may not know where exactly you stand because of that confusion. ???
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    wait

Is the concept of just trying to tie a few of these questions into some overarching explanation that answers all of them an example how Ni works?
    Yes. Your synthesis was quite sound, in my estimation.

ThatGirl carries it a bit further:
    So basically Ni is taking all relevant material into consideration before coming to or acting upon a conclusion.

It is personalized to the specific subject because while there may be some universal generalities, there will also be factors which cause the situation to be uniquely independent. There fore, the final conclusion is more fit for the time than the subject?
    With all the threads about exploring your type, TG, this reply convinces me that you've got Ni in you.

And the universal generalities are stored/remembered in an "Ni format", not a Ti or Si format.

One analogy that I used a long time ago is a gem with facets, or (easier to analogize) a 20-sided die. What will happen is that I roll the die in my head, and I get a "19" for example, and then I tell the outside world, "19." The whole truth is really "the rolling 20-sided die," not "19," but "19" is the ONLY way to communicate what needs communicating at that time. If I step back and explain to you "how do I know it's 19," then I end up giving a disjointed explanation that starts to explain the whole universe, without ever answering your real question. For that time and that place, "19" is correct.

This is where INTPs and other Si or Ne types can get confused by my words/arguments, because they'll remember that I said "6" in a very similar situation 5 months ago, so I'm asked, "Is the real answer '6' or '19'?" It's neither. The real answer is that rolling d20, but there's no way in hell I can explain that. But in this situation "19" is correct, and in that prior situation "6" was correct, and no, I'm not being inconsistent, dammit. It only seems inconsistent because there is some detail that is obvious to me, but not obvious to others, and I don't know which detail they are missing that would demonstrate consistency. And most of the answers they would deem consistent would seem inconsistent (i.e., untrue) to me!

[To add a bit of weirdness to the rolling d20 analogy, assume that each time I roll it, it comes up "19", until something changes - the situation "makes" it roll 19, it isn't random on the inside, only to those on the outside.]

If Jung was an INTJ, where was the Te though? I see more INTP there.
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    what if he was INFJ? that's what i thought initially upon reading some of his writings, before also reading somewhere that he typed himself INTP (i do not remember the source at all, but i don't remember it being particularly trustworthy)... anyway, his stuff about an acorn holding the potential of a tree, the whole concept of an archetype, the boiling down of religions, etc... it all seems really Ni. i definitely see Ti over Te, but i'm inclined to see Ni over Ti.

hard to question his own type theory though...
    INFJ is a definite possibility. It's also possible he was an INTJ fascinated about how people tic: the topic matter can make an INTJ sound FJ-ish. Either way, he's definitely Ni.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Wow, this is an interesting discussion because I see myself in so much of what you are describing. I always just assumed it was weird personal quirks. It's nice to know there's a name for it!

I need to go and reread the whole thread now, but I found it interesting that someone said Ni tends to remember the ideas, but not attach sources to them. Rather it snips out anything that is relevent to save for later and bring together to then tailor to the situation. This really, really sounds familiar to me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post

INFJ is a definite possibility. It's also possible he was an INTJ fascinated about how people tic: the topic matter can make an INTJ sound FJ-ish. Either way, he's definitely Ni.
    "Type Orientation"(Cognitive Functions) is a theoretical creation. It is a plausible yet unprovable perspective: an answer to patterns. It is Ni'ish. It is also Ti'ish in the sense that it is not achieved via empirical agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    it snips out anything that is relevent to save for later and bring together to then tailor to the situation.
    Strikes me as Introverted Perception in general. An internal image application.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Okay, done! I also really liked umlauu's thoughts on Ni looking at the underlying function of something, rather than just the idea or object itself.

For a long time I've wondered what element it is that allows some people to see things that seem to be very straightforward and obvious cause-and-effect cases, but which don't seem to be to other people. They need you to show them the blood on the knife before they are going to believe that there's anything wrong with what is currently happening. If that is not possible, they need to wait until events play out to show the aforementioned outcome will really happen. I'm not saying that I have any special powers or that I'm 100% accurate, but every now and then I run across someone else who seems to look at the world the way I do in that regard and I wanted to know what component that was. I think now that it is Ni. It almost seems sometimes like it would be insulting to explain it step by step because it is not immediately apparent that certain types of things are not obvious to others. It's kind of like those 3D pictures where you can see a different picture inside if you look at it right. I just used to assume that everyone could see what I was seeing.