User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    That's interesting. It kind of reminds me of when I forget commonly used words in the middle of a conversation, and end up saying something very confusing instead.

For instance, I once forgot the word "paper," and had to tell someone that I needed more "stuff that holds printed words." Another time, I forgot the word "doorknob," and had to tell them that the "room accessing lever" didn't work. It's really embarrassing when that happens, but I wonder if the fact that I would describe what I was talking about in that way gives a clue into how Ni works... because those are basically the ways in which I see those objects. In terms of what they do, what function they perform, rather than as concrete things with a static nature. It took people a while to figure out what I meant, but they usually did.
    Or is that different from what I'm talking about?
    I hate those moments...I would end up using "the thing you write on" or "that thing you turn to open the door". This reminds me of a an electronic game, but I cant remember the name. Its where you have hand held piece of equipment that gives you a word and you have to try and explain it so someone else can guess it without saying it and you play hot potato style where when someone guesses you pass it to the next person. Who ever has it when the buzzer stops the other person/team gets a point.

Its actually interesting to listen to people try to explain things. One person would have golf ball and she would start out explaining a golf club, then go its what you hit with a club. She would do this for everything....Ne Or its a game where the grass is green and well maintained...its the little thing that rolls on that grass.

Its a blast.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think any conceptions I've managed to reach about Ni are simplistic compared to many of those I've read in this thread and others... (or, the rest of you are just obfuscating and confusing things unnecessarily...)

But I tend to think of it in terms of seeing connections that are imperceptible to most people but which undeniably exist and are meaningful. I used to get great marks in my English lit classes at uni because I'd be writing an essay comparing two works of literature and I'd find a co-relation between certain quotations or certain themes and to me those connections would appear obvious, but the professors would react as though no one had ever pointed that out before (whether or not that was true!)

I'm still getting my head round all the function stuff, however, so I don't really know...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Pure memory work is painful for me. I forget words all the time unless I can work through a logical process that attaches the word to the concept. One word that consistently escapes me is "concurrent". It's mentally blocked from my mind whenever I need to use it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Pure memory work is painful for me. I forget words all the time unless I can work through a logical process that attaches the word to the concept. One word that consistently escapes me is "concurrent". It's mentally blocked from my mind whenever I need to use it.
    In other words, your need to use the word "concurrent" isn't concurrent with its availability.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Ni as a cognitive function, being a cognitive function, should be able to be explained in a way that makes sense and that is NOT open to interpretation. As a function, Ni IS something. It processes and works in a certain way. To try to articulate that process is what most people want to know and want to understand - how it works, what it IS as a function.

How we each experience it may vary a bit, and words we use to describe it may vary, but all Ni doms process in the same way.
    What you described didn't explain the process itself. You say 'it's just intuitive', and 'speak to the universe and listen', but that doesn't say anything. And..lol... *I* don't even know what you mean when you're saying speak to the universe. Do you know what I mean? What are non-Ni-users supposed to gain from reading that statement? etc.
    But I wasn't being asked to explain it.. I was asked why it's so difficult to understand.
    And my post is exemplifying this.

It's not a concrete process. You would like me to explain how my brain works in a simple language??

I apologize for lacking that kind linguistic ability..

Speaking to the universe and listening for the answer.. The power of belief.. some people call it faith. Some people call it God.. It is exactly mysticism and symbolism.. It's knowing there is a higher purpose and perspective than just yours.. And incorporating that information into your own perspective. Some people call it the bigger picture.
    It's not definable by language and that is it's very nature.

There is no textbook on thought and how it works.. Only theory.

The brain is too complex to figure itself out at this stage of our evolution.
    But we can have glimpses.

I cannot rank, qualify, quantify or formulate this any better.. Te has no value to me. (Except in sports)

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    In other words, your need to use the word "concurrent" isn't concurrent with its availability.

Maybe I can work this backwards using divergent!

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I cannot rank, qualify, quantify or formulate this any better.. Te has no value to me. (Except in sports)
    Think of it this way.. if your goal is to get your thoughts out there in a way that others can benefit from, then Te would be valuable to you.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Also if the title of this thread is "why Ni is so difficult to understand".. My post illustrates this point quite well.. No?
    Mysticism, symbolism and metaphor are part of the package.
    Sure, your post illustrates it well, but the way you framed your post was not to answer *why* it was difficult to understand, you framed it such that you were saying, 'Ni...for those of you who don't 'get it', is.......'

Hence my post.

In any event, we'll have to agree to disagree that the bulk - or even a significant fraction - of what constitutes Ni is mysticism, symbolism, and metaphor. Most, if not all, of the Ni-ers on this forum don't speak in mysticisms and the Ni-ness is evident in other ways, so I think equating Ni with what you're equating it with does Ni a grave disservice.

But...this isn't the thread to go back and forth on this point, so I just want to say that and I don't think I'm gonna debate it any more. Plus I have to go to yoga now.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Ni as a cognitive function, being a cognitive function, should be able to be explained in a way that makes sense and that is NOT open to interpretation. As a function, Ni IS something. It processes and works in a certain way. To try to articulate that process is what most people want to know and want to understand - how it works, what it IS as a function. What we're actually DOING.

How we each experience it may vary a bit, and words we use to describe it may vary, but all Ni doms process in the same way.

What you described didn't explain the process itself. You say 'it's just intuitive', and 'speak to the universe and listen', but that doesn't say anything. And..lol... *I* don't even know what you mean when you're saying speak to the universe. Do you know what I mean? What are non-Ni-users supposed to gain from reading that statement? etc.
    This was the reason I started the thread in the first place. Arrgh! BTW, was I mistaken in my assessment of the difficulty of describing Ni?
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Think of it this way.. if your goal is to get your thoughts out there in a way that others can benefit from, then Te would be valuable to you.
    I know this.. Our world is essentially Te.. But I don't value it. Even in sports.. The score never tells the whole story , but at least it has value to me there.
    How do I learn to value something that defies my nature? Or... Maybe the problem is not that Te has no value to me. It's simply I do not agree with most hierarchy that exists. This has scared me away from such value judgments.

This would shape my use of language, I am seeing. Other things I can explain with artistic precision.

We know my weak spot. How do I fix it?