User Tag List

12 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default For those who have read Jung, where should I start with him?

I think I read a bit of Jung in a psychology class in school, but that's about it. I've been interested in his ideas on a sort of aesthetic basis for a long time though (what I mean by that is I am fascinated by archetypes and so forth but on a scientific/philosophical basis haven't looked into his ideas in depth.)

If anyone has read some Jung, can you recommend a book or a "selected writings" that I should start with? Either/both on the basis of its connection to typology, or just whatever is particularly interesting and accessible, in general.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I think I read a bit of Jung in a psychology class in school, but that's about it. I've been interested in his ideas on a sort of aesthetic basis for a long time though (what I mean by that is I am fascinated by archetypes and so forth but on a scientific/philosophical basis haven't looked into his ideas in depth.)

If anyone has read some Jung, can you recommend a book or a "selected writings" that I should start with? Either/both on the basis of its connection to typology, or just whatever is particularly interesting and accessible, in general.
    I recommend starting with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-.../dp/0691018138

That's everything you need to get started with him. It also contains the first conception of a theory you may be familiar with...

I will warn you that his writing can be long and complex at times, though, so you will need to focus and persist in order to understand him.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

A large portion of Psychological Types is devoted towards analyzing the presence of extraverted and introverted thought throughout an assortment of history's thinkers and artists, philosophies, etc. If you're purely looking for his typological analysis of what the attitudes and the functions are, you can skip to those first, and if you're curious about how they manifest you can read through the beginning.

Hi SR,

I've read everything Jung has ever written. So, I bet you think I'm going to tell you which of his translated books is best to buy, right? Wrong. Jung is not easily digested and not a pleasure to read. Not to mention, over his career he had a habit of contradicting himself.

I have a "starter" book idea for you:

Personality Types: Jung's Model of Typology by Daryl Sharp

What Sharp has done is bring Jung's main ideas together from his collected works and presents it in a way that is easy for anyone to understand. If your goal is to truly learn, ironically, I will steer you away from reading Jung's tome: Psychological Types. Many will find it as "enjoyable" as having root canal work done on their teeth. The dry style, alone, can easily cause people to lose interest and when that happens, the goal of learning will be aborted.

This is why I suggest reading Daryl Sharp's book, which cuts to the chase, and I know you will stick with it. It's about 120 pages.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Hi SR,

I've read everything Jung has ever written. So, I bet you think I'm going to tell you which of his translated books is best to buy, right? Wrong. Jung is not easily digested and not a pleasure to read. Not to mention, over his career he had a habit of contradicting himself.

I have a "starter" book idea for you:

Personality Types: Jung's Model of Typology by Daryl Sharp

What Sharp has done is bring Jung's main ideas together from his collected works and presents it in a way that is easy for anyone to understand. If your goal is to truly learn, ironically, I will steer you away from reading Jung's tome: Psychological Types. Many will find it as "enjoyable" as having root canal work done on their teeth. The dry style, alone, can easily cause people to lose interest and when that happens, the goal of learning will be aborted.

This is why I suggest reading Daryl Sharp's book, which cuts to the chase, and I know you will stick with it. It's about 120 pages.
    I also suggest going with something else. Jung is too hard to read.

I've been reading "Lectures on Jung's Typology" off and on over the past couple of months. It's got some especially good stuff on the feeling function. It's written by Marie-Louise Von Franz and James Hillman.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Jung is too hard to read.

I disagree. I can read his writing quite well, if I'm willing to put in the time.

Don't be afraid of Jung. I think if you have enough Ni and Ti, you can make sense of his writing easily.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I disagree. I can read his writing quite well, if I'm willing to put in the time.

Don't be afraid of Jung. I think if you have enough Ni and Ti, you can make sense of his writing easily.
    I find him to be excessively wordy. There is awesome stuff there to be sure. He just talks around the barn and I want him to get to the point. Everybody likes different things though.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I also suggest going with something else. Jung is too hard to read.

I've been reading "Lectures on Jung's Typology" off and on over the past couple of months. It's got some especially good stuff on the feeling function. It's written by Marie-Louise Von Franz and James Hillman.
    If the goal is to learn, why not make it easy for others, right? Right.
    I also like that book and my fav Hillman comment is:

In a differentiated feeling-type, the two sides of his function work harmoniously.

Woops . . . . Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum!
    But for those who prefer to sling mud at each other, I'm sure they'll ignore Hillman.

Silkroad, here's a taste of Jung's translated writings. If this translation is accurate, he does meander but it's consumable.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hey, thanks everyone for the varied suggestions. The starter suggestions sound good, but on the other hand I am tempted to give the man himself a go. I feel like I've become intellectually lazy. When I was 19 I was reading stuff like Robert Graves's The White Goddess for fun. (I know, brag brag brag.) Not so much of that sort of thing these days!

I've taken a peek at the link (thanks Jenaphor) and yeah, it does look dense. But I may give it a go.

What about the collective unconscious/archetype stuff? In some way that has always fascinated me. It probably goes back to my Sting/Police obsession and Synchronicity...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING