User Tag List

Thread: Manifestations of Inferior Se

6w5 sx/sp
    ILI Ni

Default Manifestations of Inferior Se

The inferior for an INTJ or INFJ is Extraverted Sensing (Se). According to Naomi Quenk, we at times suffer from an "eruption of the inferior" or "being in the grip." In these situations, we are out of sorts, over-reacting, and not our normal selves. As dominant Ni in an INXJ loses supremacy (and the inferior takes over) the person who normally has a global perspective becomes narrow and obsessed.

Quenk describes Inferior Se as: "an obsessive focus on external data, overindulgence in sensual pleasures and an adversarial attitude toward the outer world".

The purpose of this thread is to describe situations where you or others have fallen into the grip and are inferior Se has taken over.
    - How did you/they act?
    - How did you/they feel?
    - What happened afterwards?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Supreme High Commander Array Andy's Avatar

Another aspect of inferior Se (and often Ne) is a reluctance to engage in activities that seem frivalous or pointless. When talking about IJs in general, one of the biggest dangers we face is turning to such a bunch of grey faced stick in the muds that we even start to bore ourselves.

That isn't an explosion of the inferior, of course, but such behaviour often preceeds an explosion because it is repressive. Surpressed desires build up over time until they leak out round the edges.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

I feel like I've always had a fetish-y fascination with Se. In the style of an SP wannabe. My father is ESTP and I've taken more than usual notice of the way he acts from a really young age.

How did you act?

According to descriptions I've read, as well as embracing physical desires in the moment, inferior Se can mean rejecting bodily/physical pleasures and being quite hard on oneself. The latter seems to have been my default for most of my life. I used to exercise to an extreme and I really enjoyed it. I've always experimented with my diet too. I like having a feeling of mastery over my body and making it the way I want it to be. And I like feeling 'pure' in body. About the most defiant thing I did when I was really young was sneak into clubs while underage just to see if I could. I never really drank, it was more the challenge of seeing if I could dress and talk my way in. But I always looked and felt so placid and responsible otherwise. And if I ever took my sister with me, I was like her den mother while we were out. Inferior Se expressed itself in an 'adventures of a good girl' way.

In the last few years, I think being in the grip has manifested differently for me. If I feel like doing something, it's harder for me not to just go and do it, consequences be damned. The things that most often hold me back are that 1). I don't like hurting anyone, even if they would never know what I'd done; 2). I don't like being so out of control that I can't get it back.

I tend to navigate around people when they are opposed to what I really want to do. I get to a point where I'm sick of caring and feeling so much. I want to live and not be bothered by consequences. But I haven't quite mastered that. Mostly, I just cut out and go traveling somewhere and have private adventures wherever I happen to be. And then back to normal life.

I also love speed and I love things that scare me a little. I crave intensity of experience when things have been too sedate. I have some extremely 'free' friends as well and if the mood strikes me, we can end up doing things that are completely out of character for me. I'm quite controlled when it comes to sex though and I don't see that changing.

How did you feel?

Finally free.

But there is always that little voice in my head warning me to not go too far. Lest I can't ever come back to my kind of normal or I burn a bridge with someone I really care about.

What happened afterwards?

Completely settled back to normal but with a nice new experience tucked under my belt.

Rarely have I ever gone too far and I'm always glad of that.